The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Just like NHL... NFLs team in Vegas will be very successful

So many players wanting to live in Vegas over most other cities. it's so much easier to attract talent for Vegas . 

Either by contract extension or free agency it'll be easier for Vegas to attract and keep talent.

Not all players obviously but more than other teams.

No state income tax for all home games and they can live the high life in excellent weather 24/7.  If Gruden can't win at least 1 Super Bowl with that kind of recruiting advantage, he'll likely never get another HC job in the NFL again.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

They will.  It's a waiting game right now with other interested teams.  The thing is, the other 2 known teams waiting for his price to drop are SF and Las Vegas.  Even though, unlike Buffalo, they're both flashy markets, like Buffalo, neither of them are Super Bowl contenders.  Not sure which one of the two Brown would accept a trade to.

His best bet would probably be to hitch his wagon to SF/Shanahan and Jimmy Garoppolo.

SF is going to do what Cleveland did IMO.  About a year away from playoffs but building a nice group.  Brown could do a lot worse.

44 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No state income tax for all home games and they can live the high life in excellent weather 24/7.  If Gruden can't win at least 1 Super Bowl with that kind of recruiting advantage, he'll likely never get another HC job in the NFL again.

Home field advantage might work out poorly though.  Bigger draw for visiting fans due to the shorter season.  Wouldn't be surprised to see playoff games there with an atmosphere similar to a neutral site. 

37 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Home field advantage might work out poorly though.  Bigger draw for visiting fans due to the shorter season.  Wouldn't be surprised to see playoff games there with an atmosphere similar to a neutral site. 

I doubt Brown will care about the fans in the stands as long as the money is to his liking.

As for team performance, once the team starts to suck at some point, and the attendance goes down, you're right about them mostly losing the advantage.  The games will be like when the Bills played those yearly games in Toronto under the old owner.  Nobody will much care and the fans will be evenly split between home and visiting sides.

46 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

SF is going to do what Cleveland did IMO.  About a year away from playoffs but building a nice group.  Brown could do a lot worse.

If he can stay healthy, SF already has a good QB.  That's pretty much half the battle to success.

11 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I doubt Brown will care about the fans in the stands as long as the money is to his liking.

As for team performance, once the team starts to suck at some point, and the attendance goes down, you're right about them mostly losing the advantage.  The games will be like when the Bills played those yearly games in Toronto under the old owner.  Nobody will much care and the fans will be evenly split between home and visiting sides.

Yeah more towards Gruden's chances of winning a SB.  Home field advantage in the playoff is crucial and a weekend in Vegas to see your team in a playoff game is a big draw.  Happy you guys are keeping your team though; fans willing to brave that terrible weather to watch a bad football team have my uptmost respect.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Gruden didn't even want to be a coach he just got offered a contract he couldn't say no to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Gruden didn't even want to be a coach he just got offered a contract he couldn't say no to.

I think it's a combination of that and that he's always loved the Raiders and had been longing to go back to them.  If just about any of the other teams made that offer, I think he still would have likely said, "no".

On 3/8/2019 at 9:19 PM, SabreFan1 said:

I wouldn't worry about Gruden not getting another NFL gig. He has broadcasting to pass the time and a 100 million in the bank regardless.

6 hours ago, Pears said:

So players can agree to contracts tomorrow but can’t officially sign until Wednesday?

"They can negotiate but not agree" but yeah really starting Monday there should be some leaks of so and so expected to sign with which team.

Maybe a couple more surprise cuts after Wednesday and a trade or two when the new league year officially opens on Wednesday.

I think the frenzy of transactions is better on one day instead of stuff leaking out over a period of days.

Not as fun imo.

Nick Foles to the Jags by all accounts is the only done deal so far, barring something unforseen.

Jags have been cutting guys to make cap space to sign Foles to a contract that is going to be north of 15 million a year.

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

AB to the Raiders. Nice Raiders are my second favorite team.

This is going to be fun to watch.

Gruden and Antonio Brown 2 big egos potentially clashing in Sin City?

Get your popcorn ready.

Decent return for the Steelers considering how much their hands were tied with everyone knowing if they had to trade him before his bonus was due in a few days.

Get back a 3rd and 5th in this year's draft.

Also Antonio Brown gets a new contract to become the NFL's highest paid WR once again and with more guaranteed money.

If am Julio Jones I am pissed. He deserves a new deal,but just because he isn't a drama queen he doesn't get it.

Squeaky wheel gets greased I guess.

Good luck Mr. Big Chest.

2GNVRAJNDZAHFNLQWKN7JVP2X4.png

Edited by Chip Kelly

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

This is going to be fun to watch.

Gruden and Antonio Brown 2 big egos potentially clashing in Sin City?

Get your popcorn ready.

Decent return for the Steelers considering how much their hands were tied with everyone knowing if they had to trade him before his bonus was due in a few days.

Get back a 3rd and 5th in this year's draft.

Also Antonio Brown gets a new contract to become the NFL's highest paid WR once again and with more guaranteed money.

If am Julio Jones I am pissed. He deserves a new deal,but just because he isn't a drama queen he doesn't get it.

Squeaky wheel gets greased I guess.

Good luck Mr. Big Chest.

2GNVRAJNDZAHFNLQWKN7JVP2X4.png

Well the Steelers didn't give him a new deal they traded him and the Raiders have agreed to give him a new deal.

47 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Well the Steelers didn't give him a new deal they traded him and the Raiders have agreed to give him a new deal.

He also likes that Derek Carr is more milque toast than Big Ben and won't call him out.

Plus he gets to live in Las Vegas with no state tax so he maximizes his money.

Eagles are potentially a dark horse team to land L. Bell and have cleared enough cap space to make him a reasonably competitive offer.

As soon as he signs the other RBs should start going off the market.

Wonder who he signs with Tampa, Jets, Eagles, Colts?

Other?

img_2769.jpg?resize=1080,720&ssl=1

Edited by Chip Kelly

On 3/8/2019 at 3:36 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Like newly retired Kyle Williams has often said, some players come to Buffalo begrudgingly, but once they are here, plenty end up not wanting to leave. 

Antonio Brown on the other hand, never would have been happy here.  He wants attention and to live, win, and play in a high profile city and team and this is the wrong organization to join if that's the case.

The Bills are 2-3 years away from winning consistently.  The only time a Buffalo team gets positive attention is when it's winning, and the only time it's high profile is when it's in the running for a Super Bowl (or when we're setting ourselves on fire or humping each other in the parking lot).

...or throwing dildos at the Patriots....B)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

Okay, Trent Brown is not worth that amount of money... That is a crazy signing for the raiders.

Pats trade 3rd round pick for Brown after our 1st round pick Wynn goes on IR. 

Brown starts all 19 games, dominates, and plays a huge part in winning a super bowl. 

Gets paid big time. 

Patriots recoup 2020 3rd round pick (compensatory) for him. 

Wynn is now healthy and slides into Brown's spot at 90% less cap hit. 

Please don't ever leave Belichick. 

35 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Pats trade 3rd round pick for Brown after our 1st round pick Wynn goes on IR. 

Brown starts all 19 games, dominates, and plays a huge part in winning a super bowl. 

Gets paid big time. 

Patriots recoup 2020 3rd round pick (compensatory) for him. 

Wynn is now healthy and slides into Brown's spot at 90% less cap hit. 

Please don't ever leave Belichick. 

Yea I was thinking the exact same thing the Patriots will be getting a compensatory 3rd round pick for this signing.