The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Oakland keeps Nathan Peterman and cuts AJ McCarron.  Ouch. 

That's 2 times in 1 year now that AJ has lost his QB slot to possibly the worst QB in NFL history.

I'd imagine though that Oakland will bring in one or two more QBs to compete or re-sign McCarron at a cheaper price if nobody picks him up.

5 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Salty spoiled little Pats fan aren't ya. 

A few in-demand free agents have turned down the Patriots. 

New England isn't as sought after of a team as you think it is.  You only go there if you want a shot at the Super Bowl.  Before Brady and Belichick, Boston and the Patriots were always among the bottom of desired places in the NFL to play. 

Because we don't overpay for free agents. You can't throw money at the problem. The Lions aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender next year after throwing money at every hole. 

I personally didn't want Beasley, I just found it hilarious that he's trying to frame it that he chose the Bills over the Pats because he will have better opportunities. Lmao. Might finish ahead of the Fish for 3rd in the division. 

As for the "You only go there if you want a shot at the Super Bowl" - That's exactly the type of players we want. The pay check chasers who are happy with their guaranteed money and don't care about production or winning can stay away.

16 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Because we don't overpay for free agents. You can't throw money at the problem. The Lions aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender next year after throwing money at every hole. 

I personally didn't want Beasley, I just found it hilarious that he's trying to frame it that he chose the Bills over the Pats because he will have better opportunities. Lmao. Might finish ahead of the Fish for 3rd in the division. 

As for the "You only go there if you want a shot at the Super Bowl" - That's exactly the type of players we want. The pay check chasers who are happy with their guaranteed money and don't care about production or winning can stay away.

He wasn’t gonna get more targets than Edelman, Gronk, White, or Michel, so that’s probably why he signed with Buffalo since they don’t have a legit #1 receiver. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

So what's your excuse about Adam Humphries turning down the Patriots after it sounds like they offered more money after the Titans made their offer?  Like snakes in the grass, once the Pats lost out on Beasley, they tried to poach a "paycheck chaser", but he turned them down.

There goes your theories on the Patriots' free agency strategy.

p.s. Humphries meant more opportunities for him personally as a receiver since Dallas wasn't giving him the targets he wanted anymore, not Super Bowl opportunities.  If you want SB opportunities, you choose the Patriots until they lose Brady.

23 minutes ago, Pears said:

He wasn’t gonna get more targets than Edelman, Gronk, White, or Michel, so that’s probably why he signed with Buffalo since they don’t have a legit #1 receiver. 

You posted a few seconds before me.  These Pats fans are in for a rude awakening once Brady is gone.  They traded away to the 49ers their best chance of extending their winning up until Belichick retires.

There's a reason why the Patriots went from being called the "Boston" Patriots to "New England".  After the AFL merger Boston and most of the rest of the country still didn't care much for the football team so they changed the name to bring 4 other states into the mix.  People only started caring after Bledsoe made the team decent and Kraft bought it saving it from relocating to St. Louis. 

The sound of people jumping off of their bandwagon when they inevitably go into a downturn will be earth shattering.  Even louder than the noise from the jumpers of Seattle's old bandwagon.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Beasley is an idiot. Says he chose the Bills over Pats because of opportunity not money. No one chooses the Bills for any reason other than money. 

Depends which oppurtunity you're talking about.

Oppurtunity to play? I can see that. NE still has Gronk Edelman, and they have their 3 backs (burkehead, michel and white), all those guys are above the pecking order in targets plus Martellus is back there am i right? Theres gonna be more dipping in and dunkin even more this season, theres no telling whos getting the ball every week. In Buffalo, he'd probably the slot guy in between Zay Jones and Rob Foster (think thats his name?). I've watched Beasley for a bit...hes actually not bad, if he really wanted oppurtunity, he should've went to SF.

Oppurtunity to win the superbowl, then yes Beasley is an idiot

13 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Beasley is an idiot. Says he chose the Bills over Pats because of opportunity not money. No one chooses the Bills for any reason other than money. 

Yeah man. God forbid somone on this planet doesn't participate in blowing the pats. :picard:

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You posted a few seconds before me.  These Pats fans are in for a rude awakening once Brady is gone.  They traded away to the 49ers their best chance of extending their winning up until Belichick retires.

There's a reason why the Patriots went from being called the "Boston" Patriots to "New England".  After the AFL merger Boston and most of the rest of the country still didn't care much for the football team so they changed the name to bring 4 other states into the mix.  People only started caring after Bledsoe made the team decent and Kraft bought it saving it from relocating to St. Louis. 

The sound of people jumping off of their bandwagon when they inevitably go into a downturn will be earth shattering.  Even louder than the noise from the jumpers of Seattle's old bandwagon.

Ah yes, there will never be another good QB to come out of college. Jimmy G was the last good quarterback ever drafted. Give me a break. :rolleyes: We've got a ton of picks in the first 4 rounds this year if they want to take a shot at a QB. Had a chance at Rudolph last year but the scouting department didn't think he was good enough. 

As for your question about Humphries, he's a loyal guy. Can't fault him for making a verbal commitment and sticking to it - he has a lot more integrity than 90% of the NFL. I don't know what the dollar figures offered to him were, from what I heard quite comparable, but TEN's offer probably still came out higher financially as well. 

11 hours ago, Pears said:

If he had gone to a team with a half-decent QB, I'd agree with you. Just because you're the #1 receiver doesn't mean you'll get a bunch of targets if your QB sucks. 

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Depends which oppurtunity you're talking about.

Oppurtunity to play? I can see that. NE still has Gronk Edelman, and they have their 3 backs (burkehead, michel and white), all those guys are above the pecking order in targets plus Martellus is back there am i right? Theres gonna be more dipping in and dunkin even more this season, theres no telling whos getting the ball every week. In Buffalo, he'd probably the slot guy in between Zay Jones and Rob Foster (think thats his name?). I've watched Beasley for a bit...hes actually not bad, if he really wanted oppurtunity, he should've went to SF.

Oppurtunity to win the superbowl, then yes Beasley is an idiot

As I just posted, there's a difference between the % of snaps you're on the field for, and how many quality balls you actually get thrown your way. I don't like Josh Allen. I personally think he fizzles out rather than have a resurgence like Goff. Maybe I'm wrong and he develops on a great trajectory, in which case Beasley will get a lot of looks. But if Allen can't make that development jump, Beasley will be on the field lots, sure, but how many more quality balls will he get thrown his way versus what Dak was giving him?

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

So what's your excuse about Adam Humphries turning down the Patriots after it sounds like they offered more money after the Titans made their offer?  

Titans cut their starting guard who started 32 games over past 2 years because they needed him to now take a pay cut. 

Hmm, wonder what Mariota needs more, a slot receiver or a quality starting offensive lineman? @gmen81

25 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Titans cut their starting guard who started 32 games over past 2 years because they needed him to now take a pay cut. 

Hmm, wonder what Mariota needs more, a slot receiver or a quality starting offensive lineman? @gmen81

I agree that Tennessee is being foolish in cutting a guard to pick up a receiver, unless they replace him in the draft of course, but that has little to do with the Patriots being Humphries' second choice.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Lamar Jackson has a death wish.  Driving on the highway at just over 105 mph/170 kph, while not wearing a seat-belt and holding his cell phone taking a video.

I drove faster than that when I was his age, but I definitely wore my seat-belt and I would like to think that if cell-phones with cameras were a thing in the early 90's that I never would have been dumb enough to do that.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/13/lamar-jackson-speeding-baltimore-ravens-nfl/

Seatbelt light doesn't mean his seatbelt isn't on necessarily. I know in my car anytime there is pressure on any of the seats the light is on and it beeps. All it takes is a phone to be sitting on a seat and that light will come on.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I agree that Tennessee is being foolish in cutting a guard to pick up a receiver, unless they replace him in the draft of course, but that has little to do with the Patriots being Humphries' second choice.

See above post. Humphries himself said he had made a verbal commitment to Tennessee and he honored it. How do you fault a guy for that? Plus he's linking up with a good qb in Mariota. 

12 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

As long as Belichick is the coach the team will always be a Superbowl contender. 

46 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Ah yes, there will never be another good QB to come out of college. Jimmy G was the last good quarterback ever drafted. Give me a break. :rolleyes: We've got a ton of picks in the first 4 rounds this year if they want to take a shot at a QB. Had a chance at Rudolph last year but the scouting department didn't think he was good enough. 

As for your question about Humphries, he's a loyal guy. Can't fault him for making a verbal commitment and sticking to it - he has a lot more integrity than 90% of the NFL. I don't know what the dollar figures offered to him were, from what I heard quite comparable, but TEN's offer probably still came out higher financially as well. 

My point is that the Patriots had an excellent QB before Brady in Bledsoe, but didn't do anything special even with Belichick as the coach.  It wasn't until Bledsoe went down that season and Brady stepped in that the Patriots became a dominant team.  I remember it clearly because I was glad Bledsoe went down until Brady showed how good he was.  Then Bledsoe funny enough came to Buffalo next.

You're making excuses and suppositions now about Humphries.  He said it was because of his word, but had the Patriots offered him more than comparable money, he would have bolted the Titans, flashed a peace sign, and said, "I'm outta here, it's a business decision".  You know it, I know, the rest of the league knows it.

10 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Seatbelt light doesn't mean his seatbelt isn't on necessarily. I know in my car anytime there is pressure on any of the seats the light is on and it beeps. All it takes is a phone to be sitting on a seat and that light will come on.

You must own an interesting car to have that wonky of a seatbelt light.  Either way, it's a moot point, he already admitted to everything as soon as the video caught attention.

Edited by SabreFan1
Made the first sentence clearer and to the point.

9 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

See above post. Humphries himself said he had made a verbal commitment to Tennessee and he honored it. How do you fault a guy for that? Plus he's linking up with a good qb in Mariota. 

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're making excuses and suppositions now about Humphries.  He said it was because of his word, but had the Patriots offered him more than comparable money, he would have bolted the Titans, flashed a peace sign, and said, "I'm outta here, it's a business decision".  You know it, I know, the rest of the league knows it.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

My point is that the Patriots had an excellent QB before Brady in Bledsoe, but didn't do anything special even with Belichick as the coach.  It wasn't until Bledsoe went down that season and Brady stepped in that the Patriots became a dominant team.  I remember it clearly because I was glad Bledsoe went down until Brady showed how good he was.  Then Bledsoe funny enough came to Buffalo next.

I feel like wider receivers will want to avoid Brady at this point in his career. His deep ball is questionable and I'd imagine many of the "star" receivers don't like all the short passes.