The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

36 minutes ago, Pears said:

Browns fans really have the nerve to talk about another teams history when they’ve only had two winning seasons over the last twenty years :lol: :lol:

They're over-hyped up about Baker and OBJ this season and are feeling cocky.  Too bad their o-line is absolutely terrible.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

They're over-hyped up about Baker and OBJ this season and are feeling cocky.  Too bad their o-line is absolutely terrible.

And they’re really feeling themselves about beating the Jets 3rd string quarterback. Everyone’s gonna laugh so hard when they go 7-9 and miss the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

And they’re really feeling themselves about beating the Jets 3rd string quarterback. Everyone’s gonna laugh so hard when they go 7-9 and miss the playoffs. 

Can't paint us all with the same brush, there's a bunch like myself that are just happy the team isn't utter garbage. The o-line can be addressed over the next couple drafts and FA 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Give it a few more games and if Baker continues to more or less suck, hit them where it hurts.  Right now their sports identity is wrapped up in Baker now that hometown hero LeBron James has left them again.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Can't paint us all with the same brush, there's a bunch like myself that are just happy the team isn't utter garbage. The o-line can be addressed over the next couple drafts and FA 

I know, just from what I’ve seen for the most part is ridiculous. I’m fine with being excited about having what should finally be a good team but all that hype over the summer was unnecessary. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

They can fix the head coaching and o-line problem in just one off-season.  Dorsey just has to be smart.  Picking Kitchens to be HC was his first glaring error in Cleveland.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I know, just from what I’ve seen for the most part is ridiculous. I’m fine with being excited about having what should finally be a good team but all that hype over the summer was unnecessary. 

There's nothing wrong with being excited, but they need to slow down if they're bashing other teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Baker Mayfield is taking heat for the Cleveland Browns’ offensive struggles. After scoring just 13 points in a loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Mayfield was called out by former New York Jets coach Rex Ryan.

How bad did it get? Well, Ryan called Mayfield “overrated as hell.”

Haha talk to em Rex! Rex Ryan has had enough and he ain’t lyin lol.. Joe Thomas ain’t walking through those doors anytime soon... they better fix that offensive tackle issue before the 49ers game in 2 weeks lol

Embedded video

After casually dropping that line, Ryan is asked to explain why he thinks Mayfield is overrated. Here’s a list of all the things Ryan says Mayfield needs to fix:

• He’s a one-read guy who improvises when his first look isn’t there.
• He’s too slow to outrun guys when he takes off.
• He’s not getting the ball out in rhythm.
• He’s staring down guys.
• He’s not that accurate down the field.
• He didn’t get the ball out quick enough against the Rams.

That’s a long list, and while Ryan is perhaps exaggerating, Mayfield hasn’t been great to open the season. Through three games, Mayfield has thrown three touchdowns passes against five interceptions. He has seen his completion percentage drop from 63.8 percent last season to 56.9 in 2019. He hasn’t produced like people expected.

[Watch live NFL games on the Yahoo Sports app, here's how.]

That doesn’t mean Mayfield is bound to play like this forever. He has plenty of talent, and looked like a star last season. There’s a scenario where Mayfield and the offense get on track and he starts playing like a superstar talent again.

So, is Mayfield overrated? If what Ryan is talking about right now is that Mayfield is not living up to the expectations placed on him during the offseason, maybe. But if Ryan is suggesting Mayfield will continue to be this bad, that seems unlikely.

That’s not to dismiss Ryan’s criticisms. Mayfield hasn’t played like an All-Pro so far this season. It’s just as foolish to assume what Mayfield has done in a three-game sample will continue to happen, especially when Mayfield showed he could play better than this last season.

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Jacoby Brissett did poorly in 2016 with the team in relief of Brady.  I remember because his first game was against the Bills and the Patriots looked like a below average team with him.  With Jimmy, they merely looked average for 2 of the games he played and he looked good against Houston.  Cassel played above average in '08 and the Patriots' results followed suit.  They played above average with him in (10-5), but weren't dominating and barely won the division on a tie-breaker.

Brady has the ability to make an average offense look like a championship offense.  The years that he's actually had a good offense, the team dominated. 

He also greatly benefitted early on from from the Patriots great defences under Belichick.

He has always had a great OL protecting him and system where he gets the ball out quick and then his backs and TE's and WR's would go to work.

He has had the Welkers and the Edlemans the Gronkowskis and the Hernandezs.

Also Corey Dillon, James White.

Maybe he hasn't had a true #1 like Moss or Josh Gordon for most of his career but he had other facets to make up for it.

Give Aaron Rodgers a defence and he could do what Brady does.

33 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

He also greatly benefitted early on from from the Patriots great defences under Belichick.

He has always had a great OL protecting him and system where he gets the ball out quick and then his backs and TE's and WR's would go to work.

He has had the Welkers and the Edlemans the Gronkowskis and the Hernandezs.

Also Corey Dillon, James White.

Maybe he hasn't had a true #1 like Moss or Josh Gordon for most of his career but he had other facets to make up for it.

Give Aaron Rodgers a defence and he could do what Brady does.

That's the thing.  Is Brady a product of Belicheat or is it the other way around.  As skill goes, Brady isn't the most skillful QB that I've ever seen, but he's just pretty darn good at every facet it takes to be a QB.

Belicheat isn't getting any younger and Brady isn't retiring any time soon so we may never know.

As for Rodgers, he's a great QB.  I would have liked to have seen him on better teams with better coaches for sure.

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Browns fans really have the nerve to talk about another teams history when they’ve only had two winning seasons over the last twenty years :lol: :lol: 

At least Brown’s fans have supported their team through all this.

On the other hand, I have never met a Pats fan before Tom Brady era.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1