The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Jacoby Brissett did poorly in 2016 with the team in relief of Brady.  I remember because his first game was against the Bills and the Patriots looked like a below average team with him.  With Jimmy, they merely looked average for 2 of the games he played and he looked good against Houston.  Cassel played above average in '08 and the Patriots' results followed suit.  They played above average with him in (10-5), but weren't dominating and barely won the division on a tie-breaker.

Brady has the ability to make an average offense look like a championship offense.  The years that he's actually had a good offense, the team dominated. 

Pretty sure that was his second game. He won his first game and also broke or dislocated his thumb in that game on his throwing hand and then he played the Bills with that messed up throwing hand. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/09/23/patriots-jacoby-brissett-thumb-injury-surgery

He played the Bills with a torn ligament in his thumb.

Edited by peaches5
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's the thing.  Is Brady a product of Belicheat or is it the other way around.  As skill goes, Brady isn't the most skillful QB that I've ever seen, but he's just pretty darn good at every facet it takes to be a QB.

Belicheat isn't getting any younger and Brady isn't retiring any time soon so we may never know.

As for Rodgers, he's a great QB.  I would have liked to have seen him on better teams with better coaches for sure.

Lets be honest we are all praying its Brady because that's the quickest way we can bury this Pats dynasty. Top to bottom Bill Belichick has built the best organization in pro sports. I consider him one of in not the greatest GM in pro sports history. I think when Brady retires, the Pats will stop going to the Super Bowl every year but I still expect them to pick at least a half decent talent at QB and likely continue to remain a top 10 team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

Lets be honest we are all praying its Brady because that's the quickest way we can bury this Pats dynasty. Top to bottom Bill Belichick has built the best organization in pro sports. I consider him one of in not the greatest GM in pro sports history. I think when Brady retires, the Pats will stop going to the Super Bowl every year but I still expect them to pick at least a half decent talent at QB and likely continue to remain a top 10 team.

The year Brady was out with a knee injury, the Pats missed the playoffs.  I wonder if Belichick retires when Brady does?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The year Brady was out with a knee injury, the Pats missed the playoffs.  I wonder if Belichick retires when Brady does?  

In all, Belichick has gone 13-6 (.684) in 19 games without Brady at quarterback for the Patriots. To put that in context, no other team in the league besides Belichick's Patriots has posted a winning percentage higher than .684 since Belichick and Brady joined forces in 2000. Nobody would argue that Belichick doesn't need his Hall of Fame quarterback, but the Patriots have been extremely good even without Brady at the helm.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx18029/bill-belichick-tom-brady-contributed-more-new-england-patriots-dynasty-2017-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-lii

I compare the Patriots to the Spurs which are a first class organization top to bottom. They managed to replace David Robinson with Tim Duncan and then followed up with his replacement in Kawhi Leonard. Now since the latter has left they are back to being a bubble team but I would still bet on them any day to unearth some talent and get back into the hunt while teams like the Suns, Knicks and Kings continue to underachieve despite having more talent to work with.

44 minutes ago, Toews said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx18029/bill-belichick-tom-brady-contributed-more-new-england-patriots-dynasty-2017-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-lii

I compare the Patriots to the Spurs which are a first class organization top to bottom. They managed to replace David Robinson with Tim Duncan and then followed up with his replacement in Kawhi Leonard. Now since the latter has left they are back to being a bubble team but I would still bet on them any day to unearth some talent and get back into the hunt while teams like the Suns, Knicks and Kings continue to underachieve despite having more talent to work with.

Brady is really good.  That 2008 team that missed the playoffs was a great team.  I think both 

Brady and Bilichick are the best at what they do.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Brady is really good.  That 2008 team that missed the playoffs was a great team.  I think both 

Brady and Bilichick are the best at what they do.  

I agree but the question is how they would perform if separated and I still believe that they would thrive. Brady obviously benefited from the structure and organization that Belichick built around him. Belichick benefited greatly by having Brady's leadership in his locker room and deference to Belichick's system and ideals. They are both products of each other but at this stage of their career I believe they can win without each other. They have the experience of what it takes to win at this highest level as well as the cache to command respect in any NFL locker room with 6 Super Bowls on their resume. 

Edited by Toews

18 hours ago, Toews said:

I agree but the question is how they would perform if separated and I still believe that they would thrive. Brady obviously benefited from the structure and organization that Belichick built around him. Belichick benefited greatly by having Brady's leadership in his locker room and deference to Belichick's system and ideals. They are both products of each other but at this stage of their career I believe they can win without each other. They have the experience of what it takes to win at this highest level as well as the cache to command respect in any NFL locker room with 6 Super Bowls on their resume. 

I think if you can put Belichek with the Miami Dolphins and get the players he wants on the team, he can turn that team around almost instantly to at least a playoff team. The guy has an almost unmatched football acumen and can get lesser players to play to their strengths

On 9/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, CBH1926 said:

At least Brown’s fans have supported their team through all this.

On the other hand, I have never met a Pats fan before Tom Brady era.

I had a hard time just talking about football with anyone in the mid 90's, since then the NFL has exploded in popularity and now everyone and their mom has a team.  It's night and day.  In the mid-90's the only games I saw on tv were Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers and a few Bills games so they obviously had a lot of fans.  So I am not surprised you never met a Pats fan before Brady, I can think of 26 teams I never met a fan of to this day.  

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I had a hard time just talking about football with anyone in the mid 90's, since then the NFL has exploded in popularity and now everyone and their mom has a team.  It's night and day.  In the mid-90's the only games I saw on tv were Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers and a few Bills games so they obviously had a lot of fans.  So I am not surprised you never met a Pats fan before Brady, I can think of 26 teams I never met a fan of to this day.  

I attend Bears games regularly, so I have encountered fans of all NFL teams.

Also I used to go to lot of away games as well.

Pats were terrible from 1960-1993, made playoffs I think 5 times.

Biggest team success was getting pummeled in SB XX.

Routinely played at Foxboro in front of empty stadium, in the late 80’s they had so many blackout games.

Foxboro looked like concrete jail with metal benches, made old Veterans stadium look like Ritz Carlton.

Fast forward today, and everyone in New England and their mother is a die hard football fan.

It ok to jump on the bandwagon, but let’s not pretend that we were hardcore fans forever.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I attend Bears games regularly, so I have encountered fans of all NFL teams.

Also I used to go to lot of away games as well.

Pats were terrible from 1960-1993, made playoffs I think 5 times.

Biggest team success was getting pummeled in SB XX.

Routinely played at Foxboro in front of empty stadium, in the late 80’s they had so many blackout games.

Foxboro looked like concrete jail with metal benches, made old Veterans stadium look like Ritz Carlton.

Fast forward today, and everyone in New England and their mother is a die hard football fan.

It ok to jump on the bandwagon, but let’s not pretend that we were hardcore fans forever.

And so long as they stay on the wagon after the dynasty ends. I know most of you are loyal seahawks fans but you dont see many people strutting around windsor with hawk gear anymore.  Rewind 5 6 years ago and everyone was rocking an lynch jersey.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:44 AM, filthycanuck said:

Lol just like lifelong Seahawks fans since 2012

23 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

There were a ton of Seahawk fans in Vancouver pre 2012. A substantial base of their season ticket holders (10-20 percent) have been from north of the border since the King Dome days 

It's funny....I was a Seahawks fan back in the Zorn - Largent days, (second favorite team after my Bills) but I had cooled on them by the time they won the Super Bowl.

Don't get me wrong...I enjoyed the win over the Broncos and I was pissed at Carroll for that stupid call against the Patsies, but I didn't freak out the way I would have if Scott Norwood had nailed the FG against the Giants....or if Lafayette's shot had gone bar down.....

Oops.  Looks like the Pats might still be on the hook for Brown's $9M.

Lawyers will surely fight this out, but apparently the CBA rules tend to have priority over any mutually agreed upon contract language.  Would serve them right for signing the clown.  Always wondered why there was such a high signing bonus for a flaky player like that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-failed-in-their-contract-with-antonio-brown-and-bob-kraft-will-end-up-paying-him-9-m-more-010018469.html

4 hours ago, gurn said:

If Brady and Mr. Hoodie played in a stronger division over the last decade, both would have stronger cases to be made for being the GOAT.

imo they are in the running for the title, top three with little argument.

In his Football Morning in America column, Peter King shined a light on how much better the Patriots have been since 2003 compared to the rest of the AFC East. 

As King points out, the Patriots have gone 189-51 (.788 winning percentage) since 2003 while the Jets, Dolphins and Bills have won 109, 106 and 102 games, respectively, and have winning percentages of .454, .442 and .425.

King’s conclusion that the Patriots have been a crapton better than their divisional opponents for a 15 seasons is spot-on even if it isn’t a revelation.

But be careful of taking the next step and inferring that the Patriots have built that gaudy winning percentage because they’ve fattened up on the AFC East.

Because the Patriots have won at almost the exact same rate against the rest of the NFL as they have against their division.

The Patriots are 71-19 since 2003 in the AFC East. That’s a .788 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 118-32 (.786).

King goes on to add that, when the league realigned in 2002, it would have been so much more competitive if the Colts remained in the AFC East instead of shipping to the AFC South.

He’s right but only to a point. Since 2001, the Patriots are 14-5 against the Colts (.736). Throwing out the last six games since 2011 that Peyton Manning wasn’t there for, the Patriots were 8-5 (.615) against Indy (8-4 if you throw out the 2008 game when Matt Cassel started for New England).

The reason it’s important to give the full context of the Patriots domination inside their division and out is because the past 20 years have been a historic run. Historic runs deserve accurate historic perspective.

And too often -- particularly around here -- you get inch-deep analysis branding the AFC East as a parade of Tomato Canzzzzz the Patriots knock down like ducks in a shooting gallery when the truth is, the whole damn league’s been ducks in a shooting gallery for them since 2003.

Anticipating the reaction of “Butbutbut . . . J.P. Losman! Cleo Lemon! Geno Smith!”, the reality is the league is loaded with bum quarterbacks and slow-twitch head coaches. It’s not an AFC East thing.

Even if they did benefit from a weak division not much they can do about that except win of course.  

Slightly off topic watching the game last night and my unbias view is I hate the new roughing the passer calls and PI calls are inconsistent af now.  

4 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

@RUPERTKBD @SabreFan1

Big game this Sunday. Top spot in the division and the right to remain undefeated on the line.

What says you two a friendly wager (signature?) on the game?

Loser puts a dildo in their sig 

• Upvote 1