The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Just now, Alflives said:

If position is first established in the field of play, then it’s a safety.  What happened?

Not if the runner voluntarily gives himself up. 

now I will give zac whatshisface the bengals coach the benefit of the doubt that the intercepter didn’t slide or take a knee. 

but from the refs POV I can also see how how standing up and holding the ball up to the crowd could be seen as giving himself up 

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

Not if the runner voluntarily gives himself up. 

now I will give zac whatshisface the bengals coach the benefit of the doubt that the intercepter didn’t slide or take a knee. 

but from the refs POV I can also see how how standing up and holding the ball up to the crowd could be seen as giving himself up 

Did he establish himself as a ball carrier in the field of play first, then retreat into the end Zone?  I’m pretty sure a runner, once established in the field of play, gives up a safety if they go back into their end zone.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did he establish himself as a ball carrier in the field of play first, then retreat into the end Zone?  I’m pretty sure a runner, once established in the field of play, gives up a safety if they go back into their end zone.  

He fell to the ground with an interception then stood up and stopped advancing. That’s giving yourself up. 

similar to last week josh Rosen threw a pick to Jamie Collins inside the 10 yard line and Collins ran to the lockeroom with it through our own end zone without advancing forwards 

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

He fell to the ground with an interception then stood up and stopped advancing. That’s giving yourself up. 

similar to last week josh Rosen threw a pick to Jamie Collins inside the 10 yard line and Collins ran to the lockeroom with it through our own end zone without advancing forwards 

I haven’t seen the play, but it sounds like the guy intercepted the ball and then his momentum carried him into the end zone. If he doesn’t establish himself as a runner in the field of play, it’s not a safety, right?  

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I haven’t seen the play, but it sounds like the guy intercepted the ball and then his momentum carried him into the end zone. If he doesn’t establish himself as a runner in the field of play, it’s not a safety, right?  

No. He intercepted the ball at like the 20 yard line. Fell. Got up. Ran backwards to his end zone without taking any steps forward. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

No. He intercepted the ball at like the 20 yard line. Fell. Got up. Ran backwards to his end zone without taking any steps forward. 

Wow!  I’ve never heard of that before.  Was it the last play of the game!  Was it in OT?  He’s clearly established his position in the field of play.  Could a player run across the field, not going forward but looking for a chance to, see nothing there and just retreAt into his end zone and get the ball at the 20?  Does this interpretation only apply on an interception?  Kind of crazy.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  I’ve never heard of that before.  Was it the last play of the game!  Was it in OT?  He’s clearly established his position in the field of play.  Could a player run across the field, not going forward but looking for a chance to, see nothing there and just retreAt into his end zone and get the ball at the 20?  Does this interpretation only apply on an interception?  Kind of crazy.  

It’s Hard to say what would happen if there was time left on the clock because both Collins last week and the Bills this week it was with no time left 

• Thanks 1