The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Holy Moly what a game! It seemed like Kaepernick was going to run away with it but the Seahawks built up momentum, made plays when they needed to and got a lot of help from that blown roughing the kicker penalty along with the Navarro Bowman fumble recovery.

Richard Sherman :picard: . He's great, and I love his game, but he has to tone it down with the taunting. That was incredibly disrespectful.

I wanted a Seahawks vs Patriots Superbowl but how can you go wrong with Peyton Manning? I'm also hoping for Lynch to carry the team on his back (along with a few opposing tacklers).

Hopefully Bowman will be ok and be back in full force next year. Not a fan of the 49ers, but Bowman one of the best ILB in the game and it would be a shame if that injury effects him in coming years.

How can you not feel for him? Poor guy recovered that fumble only to have the refs take it away. Edited by Crom!

Sherman was allowed to talk trash since he shutdown Crabtree for the most of the game.

I expect Seahawks to win the super bowl, why? Because 49ers defense is better than the Broncos, so I expect Lynch to rip apart the defense and Broncos pass defense is pretty bad. Another reason, Kaepernick is a running QB and was a big threat in the running game for the Niners. Manning won't be a threat in the running game but the firepower might be too much for the Seahawks.

Early thoughts on the Super Bowl...

As all of you on this message board know I am a die hard Broncos fan. If you didnt well now you do.

Honestly, I am a die hard Broncos fan but depite the annoying Hawks fans I have had a sweet spot for the Seahawks as they are the closest team. That is obviously irrelevant now but I can kind of relate now to how Bruins fans who also liked the Canucks felt.

In terms of the game I think it has the potential to be real close but inevitably I see Denver winning. There are several reasons for it.

1) The Seahawks D is great and physical but so are the Broncos receivers. Welker, DT, Decker and Julius Thomas the TE can all play a physical game. So the intimidation associated with the Hawks secondary gets lost on Denver

2) The best QB by a mile is Peyton Manning. I know this is real obviously and simple but I still state it. As I said today, I felt the matchup with NE was a legacy sort of matchup that Peyton needed. He needs a second Super Bowl to silence all critics and be the undisputed Greatest QB of all time and I think he knows that. The Peyton I have seen in these playoffs has been more mature and much more cool and collective. I think that in part is due to the fact he needs to be as he recognizes his legacy rides on winning the second SB and this is his shot.

3) The Broncos run D is surprisingly good. #7 ranked during the regular season and has only allowed 65 yards a game in the playoffs. I dont think they can fully stop Marshawn Lynch but I do believe they can contain him

4) If the Broncos can contain Marshawn Lynch tg some degree then the Seattle offense is predicated on Russell Wilson being good. - I have said for a long time including in this thread that Russel Wilson is a system QB and IMO very overrated (I am sure Hawks fans will tear me a new one for this statement). There is nothing uniquely good about him. He just happens to be in a great system. His inconsistency of late proves that IMO. I believe that the inconsistency will show light in a couple of weeks. Especially if he doesnt have Percy Harvin to create plays for him. The Russel Wilson inconsistency factor becomes less important if Harvin does play but it is there.

5) No 12th man for the Hawks- For better or for worse, this Hawks team does its best when it is at home and it won't be. I think that takes the umph out of the team to some level.

Well if we're going off of the advertisement, it did work. He only had one delay of game penalty which wasn't because of the 12th man. Also, Kaepernick threw two interceptions which were terrible decisions on his part.

Yeah I'm sure that commercial was about avoiding delay of games. Hell, maybe even a few false starts here and there. Definitely not about winning in Seattle or the 12th man being in his head or anything. Funny though, he's thrown more than half of his total "terrible decisions" this year to the Seahawks, in Seattle to boot. I wonder what might cause those types of mental errors in one particular building?

Early thoughts on the Super Bowl...

As all of you on this message board know I am a die hard Broncos fan. If you didnt well now you do.

Honestly, I am a die hard Broncos fan but depite the annoying Hawks fans I have had a sweet spot for the Seahawks as they are the closest team. That is obviously irrelevant now but I can kind of relate now to how Bruins fans who also liked the Canucks felt.

In terms of the game I think it has the potential to be real close but inevitably I see Denver winning. There are several reasons for it.

1) The Seahawks D is great and physical but so are the Broncos receivers. Welker, DT, Decker and Julius Thomas the TE can all play a physical game. So the intimidation associated with the Hawks secondary gets lost on Denver

2) The best QB by a mile is Peyton Manning. I know this is real obviously and simple but I still state it. As I said today, I felt the matchup with NE was a legacy sort of matchup that Peyton needed. He needs a second Super Bowl to silence all critics and be the undisputed Greatest QB of all time and I think he knows that. The Peyton I have seen in these playoffs has been more mature and much more cool and collective. I think that in part is due to the fact he needs to be as he recognizes his legacy rides on winning the second SB and this is his shot.

3) The Broncos run D is surprisingly good. #7 ranked during the regular season and has only allowed 65 yards a game in the playoffs. I dont think they can fully stop Marshawn Lynch but I do believe they can contain him

4) If the Broncos can contain Marshawn Lynch tg some degree then the Seattle offense is predicated on Russell Wilson being good. - I have said for a long time including in this thread that Russel Wilson is a system QB and IMO very overrated (I am sure Hawks fans will tear me a new one for this statement). There is nothing uniquely good about him. He just happens to be in a great system. His inconsistency of late proves that IMO. I believe that the inconsistency will show light in a couple of weeks. Especially if he doesnt have Percy Harvin to create plays for him. The Russel Wilson inconsistency factor becomes less important if Harvin does play but it is there.

5) No 12th man for the Hawks- For better or for worse, this Hawks team does its best when it is at home and it won't be. I think that takes the umph out of the team to some level.

I think you really, really under rating Russel Wilson. The guy has proved that he can make something out of nothing happen, like today that pass to Kearse was so precise and also the Denver defence will have to worry about him running the ball.

Denver has not faced a defence like Seattle this season, so you can't really be sure on how that is going to play out. With guys like Thomas, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Bryant, and Smith playing the way they are it's going to be a tough match up.

Definetly cannot say anything bad about Peyton Manning, he is a HOF QB and is always a massive threat. His passes are extremely accurate and he can read a play amazingly well, OMAHA!

Marshawn Lynch has been on a tear in these playoffs, he lives for big games and shows up in a huge way. He is a massive RB and once he gets a head of steam going he can't be stopped, just look at huge runs vs Saints and tonight vs 49ers.

There will be a 12th man in Seattle, you can bank on that. It obviously won't be like Seattle, but they will be there and they will be loud. Also, Denver won't have the benefit of playing at home with it being tougher for opposing teams to acclimate themselves to the air up there. Both teams aren't as good away as they are at home, but they also aren't bad away.

I will say this is a fairly even match up and it will ultimately depend on which defence will come up big for their teams.

Cheering for Seattle is a no brainer for me because I always cheer for the North West Coast teams over anywhere else. I was born and raised West Coast and I'll die West Coast even if I live in other parts of the world (which I plan on doing). For me, home will always be the coastline of BC and Washington (possibly Oregon as well). As much as we are separate countries, geographically and culturally we are more alike than BC and Alberta or any other part of Canada. Essentially, we are Cascadia and I like to stick with my fellow coasters.

That's why I cheer for the Seahawks in the NFL. They are a great team this year that has what it takes to win the Superbowl. Only obstacle is the Broncos who also have what it takes to win. It's going to be a great game and great year to be a Seahawks fan.

On a side note, Seattle has killer jerseys right now that look fantastic. They really are intimidating and sharp looking, while also displaying are west coast colours (which are similar to the Canucks).

Edited by Tragoedia
  • Upvote 2

lol great read today everyone! Congrats to Peyton and the Broncos for getting through the AFC!! I had money on the Pats so that was somewhat disappointing....but once Talib went down, I knew it was going to be tough sledding.

But so happy the Seahawks are through to the SB!! I felt, coming into today, that the niners were peaking at the right time and that the Seahawks would lose. But they sucked it up and made the big plays at crunch time. Love the hate Sherman is getting once again...but he is just being honest, Crabtree WAS mediocre today....they mad, bro!

As for the super bowl, not sure if some of you are Broncos homers or what but over by half time?? Are you serious?? Let's see how Peyton handles, not only the pressure, but a top notch defence. I certainly ain't stupid enough to call for a Seahawks victory but I think Seattle has as good a chance as any team to shutdown and frustrate the Broncos offence. But that's just me. =)

Shout out to both the Pats and Niners...great season for both teams!!

Yeah I'm sure that commercial was about avoiding delay of games. Hell, maybe even a few false starts here and there. Definitely not about winning in Seattle or the 12th man being in his head or anything. Funny though, he's thrown more than half of his total "terrible decisions" this year to the Seahawks, in Seattle to boot. I wonder what might cause those types of mental errors in one particular building?

lol

I think you really, really under rating Russel Wilson. The guy has proved that he can make something out of nothing happen, like today that pass to Kearse was so precise and also the Denver defence will have to worry about him running the ball.

Denver has not faced a defence like Seattle this season, so you can't really be sure on how that is going to play out. With guys like Thomas, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Bryant, and Smith playing the way they are it's going to be a tough match up.

Definetly cannot say anything bad about Peyton Manning, he is a HOF QB and is always a massive threat. His passes are extremely accurate and he can read a play amazingly well, OMAHA!

Marshawn Lynch has been on a tear in these playoffs, he lives for big games and shows up in a huge way. He is a massive RB and once he gets a head of steam going he can't be stopped, just look at huge runs vs Saints and tonight vs 49ers.

There will be a 12th man in Seattle, you can bank on that. It obviously won't be like Seattle, but they will be there and they will be loud. Also, Denver won't have the benefit of playing at home with it being tougher for opposing teams to acclimate themselves to the air up there. Both teams aren't as good away as they are at home, but they also aren't bad away.

I will say this is a fairly even match up and it will ultimately depend on which defence will come up big for their teams.

A fair assessment, IMO.

Will make one last point for the night. Pats fans you maybe annoying as hell but your team had 1 hell of a year. The fact the team made it to the AFC Championship is a miracle and gives credence to how good of a coach BB is. A lot of young guys on the Pats really developed this year and next year I believe the Pats will be a force to reckon with. They have the cap space to make moves and I could easily see someone a wide receiver such as Eric Decker joining the Pats. As always though drafting for the Pats will also be key.

Ya it sucks your team lost but just remember there is a shiny bright light at the end of the day.

Will make one last point for the night. Pats fans you maybe annoying as hell

I'd say some of the Broncos fans were far worse today. The Pats played us hard and their fanbase has reason to be proud of their season. No reason to chirp them and be a sore winner. (Although it's time for a new sig TRR)