The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

@MMehtaNYDN:

Who's better: Marcus Mariota or Geno Smith? Woody Johnson: "Genos probably way ahead of him at this point, believe it or not" #nyj

:picard:

This team I tell you...well it shouldn't come as a surprise especially when you take into account Geno is a top 5 QB..

No more local TV blackouts in the NFL. Ticket sales are going to take a nosedive in some markets. It will be odd seeing Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo Bills) with some empty seats for less popular games during the season. I wonder which team/market will get hit the hardest....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/nfl-will-not-have-local-tv-blackouts-in-2015/related/

This could either start a cascade of higher every year ticket price increases for some markets or keep future price increases in check.

@MMehtaNYDN:

Who's better: Marcus Mariota or Geno Smith? Woody Johnson: "Genos probably way ahead of him at this point, believe it or not" #nyj

This team I tell you...well it shouldn't come as a surprise especially when you take into account Geno is a top 5 QB..

I don't think the Jets want to risk taking a QB early again. They have to make it work with Geno and their going to give him every opportunity to succeed. Adding a Kevin White or Amari Cooper will only help (oh my gawwwwd) Geno

With that being said, people are sleeping on Mariota. His td to int ratio is fackn insane! They called Aaron Rodgers a system qb too...

Jaylen LockDown Coleman · Top Commenter · San Francisco, California

What is it with the NFL and black QBs??? They get drafted early, go to a team that sucks. Dont surround them with a team close to equal with there opposition. They play hard, finally get some talent around them and the team is in a good situation to compete, then they dump the QBS off. Black qbs get the $&!#ties situations smdh look at the RG3 deal, which made it so his team gets no talent for 3 year outside of free agency, then they have no cap space till last year. Why don't these guys just say I wanna play for this or that team and that's where they go???? This isn't slavery or is it?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Expanding on my earlier post:

Which teams do you guys think will be the most impacted by the new NFL blackout rule, or lack thereof?

Jaguars. I don't think they were even selling out before and even considered a couple years ago (don't know if they actually did it) showing NFL redzone on the jumbotron rather than the game

WOW I was looking at the stadium capacity for each team since SabreFan1 posted about the blackouts

They build Lambeau for less than a million WOW

Given it was way back then so inflation but even looking at O.com Coliseum which was built in 1966 was still 25.5 milli

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/comparisons.htm

Edited by The Magician

WOW I was looking at the stadium capacity for each team since SabreFan1 posted about the blackouts

They build Lambeau for less than a million WOW

Given it was way back then so inflation but even looking at O.com Coliseum which was built in 1966 was still 25.5 milli

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/comparisons.htm

68,500 capacity for 1.3 billion? That seems off

No more local TV blackouts in the NFL. Ticket sales are going to take a nosedive in some markets. It will be odd seeing Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo Bills) with some empty seats for less popular games during the season. I wonder which team/market will get hit the hardest....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/nfl-will-not-have-local-tv-blackouts-in-2015/related/

This could either start a cascade of higher every year ticket price increases for some markets or keep future price increases in check.

Ticket sales are not the way NFL teams make most of their money. Broadcasting and sponsorship revenue is where its at. Local, national, direct TV, Sunday ticket. All teams share in that massive revenue pool.

The Seahawks are a good example of this. 2013 gate revenue (ticket sales): $54 million. Total team revenue: $288 million. Even the team with the biggest arena and highest ticket prices, The Dallas Cowboys, had gate revenue of $90 million versus total team revenue of $540 million. So ticket sales are important but not as important as for other leagues.

Ticket sales are not the way NFL teams make most of their money. Broadcasting and sponsorship revenue is where its at. Local, national, direct TV, Sunday ticket. All teams share in that massive revenue pool.

The Seahawks are a good example of this. 2013 gate revenue (ticket sales): $54 million. Total team revenue: $288 million. Even the team with the biggest arena and highest ticket prices, The Dallas Cowboys, had gate revenue of $90 million versus total team revenue of $540 million. So ticket sales are important but not as important as for other leagues.

With things like PSL's in Dallas and some other teams it will certainly hurt some organizations more than others, but if you've been watching football for over 3 decades then you'll know that NFL owners loathe giving up even a penny that they can pocket.

Low attendance is the one big thing that will kill an NFL franchise and force it to move. Attendance and stadium deals are the 2 biggies.

*edit* I just realized that I typed "PSA" instead of "PSL".

Edited by SabreFan1

Ahh gotta love the no fun league.

A coach realizes there's a legitimate rule in the rule book that never gets brought up because coaches like to stick to contemporary offenses, he decides to draw up a play within the rules of the rule book, a coach gets upset because his team was made to look a fool, complains to the NFL, and the NFL makes it illegal for eligble receivers to line up as ineligible receivers unless they're within the tackle box (LOL, what a joke).

:rolleyes:

At least we got the 4th ring out of it. I wonder how long before the Ravens propose that any player beside the QB be banned from throwing the ball.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Ahh gotta love the no fun league.

A coach realizes there's a legitimate rule in the rule book that never gets brought up because coaches like to stick to contemporary offenses, he decides to draw up a play within the rules of the rule book, a coach gets upset because his team was made to look a fool, complains to the NFL, and the NFL makes it illegal for eligble receivers to line up as ineligible receivers unless they're within the tackle box (LOL, what a joke).

:rolleyes:

At least we got the 4th ring out of it. I wonder how long before the Ravens propose that any player beside the QB be banned from throwing the ball.

Lol kudos to Belichik for figuring that out. Football genuis and all.

Ravens were complaining because they weren't given ample time to line up. The receiver would report ineligible and the play would be run seconds after the ref even got a chance to communicate it to the Ravens. Pretty bs imo. Play the game straight up.

I believe the owners voted on it? Clearly it wasn't just one team that had an issue with it.

Edited by Jiggs50

@MMehtaNYDN:

I watched almost every game Mariota has ever played in college football. I could possibly be his biggest fan in Canada.

Let me be the first to tell you all, he is a good kid, an unbelievable athlete, and a leader.

He is not however a pocket passer, he is a product of a gimmick offence. Unless Chip Kelly somehow gets his hands on him he will struggle.

If you watch the Ducks a lot you will notice that they are a very rhythmic team. If that rhythm is disrupted Marcus tends to unravel. Arizona, OSU, Stanford the season's prior were all very successful at doing this.

You also cannot really look too hard into his un-earthly stats. The Ducks are in the Pac 12 North, which has come a long way but not really a conference known for smash mouth defence.

I hate this, it's going to kill me to watch my favourite college player blow it but I'm leaning towards it happening. 52/48 bust/boom.