The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Better Know a Boycott - How to influence NHL owners

D-Money

Right.  I'm all about myself because I work two jobs to make ends meet and so that we can have a little extra to spend on having a life.

I just don't see the point in targeting advertisers and other subsidiary companies, and potentially effecting their employees all because we're pissed that we can't watch millionaire hockey players play for teams owned by billionaires.

For me, this pending lockout means I will not be planning my annual trip to see a Canucks game.  Instead, I am putting that money into seeing several Royals and Grizzlies games.

I have been reading a bit about fan outrage over the impending lockout. There is lots of talk about boycotting NHL products, or boycotting future games, etc. However, why wait? And why stop there?

Now, obviously every person will not be a direct consumer of these companies. However, I am going to make my own "boycott list". I encourage any of you to do the same.

So, if a lockout is declared on September 15th, I will begin a boycott of the following:

- All beers produced/distributed by Molson (no Heinekin or Corona)

- Rexall drugs (normally gets around $50/month from me)

- Moxies

- Little Cesars

- Pizza Hut (BC)

- Sandman Hotels

- All films produced by Relativity Media

- Premiership games with Liverpool or Real Madrid, merchandise for either team

- Will try to influence brother-in-law to boycott St. Louis Rams (he's a huge fan)

- Fernie Alpine Resort, Kimberley Alpine Resort, Nakiska, Stoneham Mountain Resort, and Kicking Horse Resort (I go to Kicking Horse every year)

- No events at Rogers Arena when I'm in Vancouver (I catch concerts here)

- Bassano Hard Soda (will tell everyone it's terrible)

Feel free to spread this by any means possible. I am going to start tweeting information/etc. using hashtag #fanlockout.

Boycotts don't depend upon consensus anyhow - they may not always result in noticeable leverage, but on the other hand I can think of a significant historical example of a student initiated boycott being the driving force behind a change of regime - this lockout may not be as vital to our everyday life, but hockey is probably considered about as important here as politics :bigblush:

A difficulty in this case may be the nature of some of the enterprises tied to the major franchises - (ie a few of the extremely profitable large market teams like Philly and NY) - it is not practical or possible to expect a boycott of cable and internet providers (that would almost be the equivalent of a general strike here :lol: ).  So how do we effect those insular big markets?   If you could convince a competiting network to air Swedish Elite League games in the vacuum (perhaps Home Depot would like to line the boxscore since their advertising dollars aren't resulting in exposure when there is no NHL) and fans took the attitude that we don't necessarily need NHL hockey this season... muahahaha.... take that Gary!

I go to moxies all the time but I'm friends with like 6 girls that work there, so that I will not boycott. The people that work at restoraunts also make their living off tips, and alot of them are puttin themselves through school. So I think that's a bit of an unfair boycott, there's other people it hurts more than tryin to stick it to an NHL boss that won't feel it.

I dunno, you can do what you want, but there's another perspective on it

I go to moxies all the time but I'm friends with like 6 girls that work there, so that I will not boycott. The people that work at restoraunts also make their living off tips, and alot of them are puttin themselves through school. So I think that's a bit of an unfair boycott, there's other people it hurts more than tryin to stick it to an NHL boss that won't feel it.

I dunno, you can do what you want, but there's another perspective on it

Yeah - obviously we can't boycott everything. I can't really make a decision that will affect oil developments in Fort McMurray, or major systems software developments. But there are some obvious and also not-so-obvious places where I can make sure my dollars don't support a business venture that the owners are leaning on to provide income/accolades/etc, while they let the NHL rot to squeeze out a few extra dollars out of the players.

Restaurants and beer are the clear, easy choices. With so many other alternatives (that are usually better anyways), it's not really a burden to make sure I don't order Pizza Hut or Little Cesars, or buy Rickards, Heineken, or Corona for a few months.

One other way (which will be extra difficult, with no NHL hockey) is to not support AHL teams owned by NHL clubs/owners. Stick to Junior hockey (except the Blazers), SEL, KHL, etc.

There's only one item on that list that even applies to me and I'm not skipping the games against Liverpool so it would be a completely pointless gesture for me to boycott companies who already don't get my business. I wish you the best of luck though.

Archived