The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Trade Theory 101

• 2 weeks later...

Florida not only has 35 and 36 year old average goaltenders, but their prospect Jacob Markstrom not only is injury prone, but is also struggling this season in the AHL - 2 and 6 with a .892 sv% - and fighting to keep the starting job in San Antonio as he's getting outplayed by the 30 yr old Grumet-Morris...

Luongo, Rodin

Bjugstad, Petrovic, Upshall.

If the offer was Drew Shore, Petrovic and Upshall for Lou I'd be happy with that.

Shore has the potential to follow a path very similar to Kesler's and Petrovic skates well and has a decent arsenal of shots for a D man. Upshall may be a cap absorbing move but he wouldn't make our forward ranks worse.

If the offer was Drew Shore, Petrovic and Upshall for Lou I'd be happy with that.

Shore has the potential to follow a path very similar to Kesler's and Petrovic skates well and has a decent arsenal of shots for a D man. Upshall may be a cap absorbing move but he wouldn't make our forward ranks worse.

I do like Petrovic and would welcome him in any deal which Vancouver has with Florida. :)

Shore does look like he has some promise. He was a 2nd round pick, and while that is not always a guide as to the future success of the player, it is something which could be used to wheedle a bit more out of Tallon.

While he might not make the team worse, is he worth a $3.5 million cap hit to Vancouver for 3 years?

I'm not crazy about Upshall. I don't see him as being the impact roster player which Gillis claims he wants in this deal. Upshall also has a NMC/NTC clause in his contract. He also looks like a Sami Salo as far as being injury prone and has missed a lot of games, no? Getting him would be a risky proposition and would be nothing more than a cap dump (as you have suggested), but if he stayed healthy he could indeed be a very surprising addition.

Florida doesn't really need to make cap room, although Tallon might always be willing to do so should the opportunity arise. If Upshall were to be included in the deal then I'd want a 1st round pick to make up for Shore rather than Bjugstad, and having to take on Upshall. I'd be okay with the pick being Florida's 2014 1st rather than the 2013. Tallon could choose which of the two he wanted to surrender.

To Florida: Luongo:

To Vancouver: Petrovic, Shore, Upshall, 2013/2014 1st

regards,

G.

Have you seen him play?

He's an excellent prospect. I compared him to Kesler for a reason. Big, wiry, skates extremely well, plays both sides of the puck, has good hands and is will be an increasing physical presence as he gets stronger. His scoring upside will be something we will only know after 2-3 years in the nHL probably but he can already produce now. He's a rookie playing against men for the first time and he is the best forward on the team most nights.

I agree that the Canucks wouldn't get that 1st in a trade for Lou if those other two prospects came over.

Archived