The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

"But if you think about it, Jensen only has to be as good as Raymond, and Schroeder has to be as good as Malhotra or Hodgson, which time will tell.

I think Tanev can be as good as Ballard, but beyond that I think our depth on D will be significantly weaker if we don't make some upgrades."

Dear me, talk about fantasy hockey. DN you've been spending too much time on this lockout bull, your hockey judgement has just evaporated.

These 3 "only has to be as good as" are never going to happen. Not for a good few years at any rate.

Jensen is 4 years away from coming near to Raymond. (on a bad day)

As for putting Schroeder in Malhotra's or Hodgson's shoes, have you been watching the Wolves? (I know you have been which makes your statement even more jaw dropping)

I like the way you leave the best till last. Tanev "might" one day show Ballard's skills, speed, pushback, shot, stretch pass, checking ability..........but not in the next 5 years, if that.

I like optimism as much as the next guy but COME ON!

"But if you think about it, Jensen only has to be as good as Raymond, and Schroeder has to be as good as Malhotra or Hodgson, which time will tell.

I think Tanev can be as good as Ballard, but beyond that I think our depth on D will be significantly weaker if we don't make some upgrades."

Dear me, talk about fantasy hockey. DN you've been spending too much time on this lockout bull, your hockey judgement has just evaporated.

These 3 "only has to be as good as" are never going to happen. Not for a good few years at any rate.

I like optimism as much as the next guy but COME ON!

Starting to get the idea that this is going to fall apart again. The League is holding onto things that aren't big deals for them (like next year's cap) and not letting the PA have any wins at all in this.

On top of that, it always seems that when the two sides think they have an agreement, it turns out the NHL is really just agreeing in principle and then trying to screw them in the details (eg. "Make Whole"... woo that sounds good. Oh wait, it doesn't mean make whole?" or "Amnesty buyouts... sounds good... oh wait, you want players to pay for them"

They haven't polished off most of the details so I fully expect the NHL to have a bunch of things in the nitty gritty that isn't as good as the PA thinks it is.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/salary-cap-pension-plan-remain-biggest-hurdles-in-nhl-negotiations/article6893173/

But Bettman is under pressure from the owners, particularly those from smaller-revenue teams, to keep the payroll floor under control. The owners also want to maintain a salary range of $16-million from the floor to the cap, so they are not interested in the players’ suggestion to raise the second-year cap to $65-million but keep the same floor as a $60-million cap, which would be $44-million.

This has the potential to drive up escrow payments if league revenue rises but the players appear willing to take the risk.

If the gap gets wider than $16-million, Bettman feels the league’s competitive balance will be affected. This would give the rich teams more room to spend than the others. His resistance is such that this is now the biggest obstacle to an agreement.

Teemu Selanne thinks it ends on Monday:

You can count Anaheim Ducks forward Teemu Selanne as one of the people that believes we're in the final days of the NHL lockout.

He even has a specific date in mind for when it's all going to end: This upcoming Monday, Jan. 7.

In an interview with Finnish Website MTV3.fi (the same website where Selanne earlier blogged about Gary Bettman being the most hated man in the NHL) the veteran forward said that this is the first time the two sides have faced the pressure that the entire season really is in jeopardy, and that the players will be back in camp on Jan. 10.

The full comment, via translation by Finnish reporter Matias Strozyk on Twitter:

"I think the lockout ends next Monday, the 7th, camps begin on the 10th and the 1st game is on the 18th or 19th. Light at the end of the tunnel now since it's the 1st time NHL & owners have pressure and the whole season really is in jeopardy. Right now I'm optimistic & think the season will begin. We (players) have wondered why this has taken so long & NHL has taken that stance."

So maybe he didn't have a specific reason, but Hey, when Teemu Selanne talks, people listen.

For purely selfish reasons we hope he's right because we would hate to see his Hall of Fame career come to an end because of a cancelled season due to a lockout.

Selanne has already said that he will probably retire if the entire season is lost to the lockout.

He turned 42 back in July but is still playing at a high level in the NHL. In 82 games last season he scored 26 goals to go with 40 assists, leading the Ducks with 66 points.

In 1,341 career games he's scored 663 goals which places him 12th on the all-time list. If he gets an opportunity to play this year he should pass Luc Robitaille's 668 on the list.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/21491933/nhl-lockout-teemu-selanne-thinks-it-ends-on-monday

Simple: Owners give on the cap and set at $65 million and players give on the length of contracts. Pensions shouldn't even be on the table. If these guys can't manage to put some of their millions away in RRSP's then too bad. Pensions are for us working class. Drop the puck!

2 buyouts you say??

Hmmm... An interesting way to circumvent would be to buy out your stars, with an under the table agreement to sign them to an deal with a lower cap hit, thus making the "buyout" a bonus...

For instance, Gillis could make a deal with the Sedins, buyout their combined 12.2M, and re-sign them to identical 2 year deals at 8M (4M per + the buyout money) and save the cap around 4.2 million...

2 buyouts you say??

Hmmm... An interesting way to circumvent would be to buy out your stars, with an under the table agreement to sign them to an deal with a lower cap hit, thus making the "buyout" a bonus...

For instance, Gillis could make a deal with the Sedins, buyout their combined 12.2M, and re-sign them to identical 2 year deals at 8M (4M per + the buyout money) and save the cap around 4.2 million...

Handzus, Glass, Tyrell and Stoner leave Slovak Extraliga team:

Four more locked-out NHLers bid Europea adieu on Wednesday as Michal Handzus, Tanner Glass, Dana Tyrell and Clayton Stoner announced they’d be leaving Slovak side HC Banska Bystrica.

As we’re wont to do at PHT, here’s the glorious Google Translation:

The management of the club and this opportunity to thank all three players [Glass, Tyrell and Stoner] for their absolute professionalism, great-way communication in the cabin and in the management of the club, a selfless willingness to help young players in the team as well as their performance, which could draw viewers into considerations not only in Banska Bystrica but also in the cities where they played their extra league game.

Especially huge thanks offspring Banská hockey Michal Handzus, who did not hesitate a moment and joined the team from under Urpín immediately after the start of the NHL lockout. He did so without compensation or any other costs while the insurance is paid by your own means. Michal their performance on the ice as well as the overall gaming action in the cabin greatly help the team and not just for the sports page, and proved to be Banskobystričanom all your soul.

“Gaming action in the cabin” is a new personal favorite of mine.

OK, so the end tally for all four guys…

Handzus: 9G-10A-19PTS in 19 games

Glass: 0G-1A-1PT in six games (with 75 PIM!)

Stoner: 1G-4A-5PTS in eight games

Tyrell: 0G-3A-3PTS in four games

Of the four, only Handzus is going into a contract year — the two-year, $5 million deal he signed with San Jose prior to 2011-12 expires this July.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/03/handzus-glass-tyrell-and-stoner-leave-slovak-extraliga-team/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What's with players returning back? I heard Schneider could return home as well.

2 buyouts you say??

Archived