The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

And you can honestly say that your opinion is that it's basically the perfect movie or 10/10? Really?

Don't get me wrong there's all sorts of technical achievements, it was visually stunning etc. It's a fun movie! But the story is not the most original or engaging.

That might be a bit critical, I'd probably give it a solid 7 or 8 for it's innovation and breathtaking visuals. I liken it to a modern Star Wars (another high tech cowboys and Indians rehash itself). I love Star Wars too but it's story/depth is also lacking if we're honest with ourselves.

Rightttt,cause there are so many like it out....so what did you find engaging in a movie?

Room 237 - 8/10

The documentary about all the various crazy theories around Kubrick's The Shining. Most of the theories themselves were a little too facepalmy - WW2/holocaust, gold standard, the worst was the theory that he was the director who faked the moon landing and this was his way of telling the world. Had to mute the sound for that part. Though the Native American stuff I think might be dead on, there were some shades of that in the novel too.

I liked a lot of the smaller details though, the spatial orientations of the hotel, the continuity errors that may have been intentional, etc. I want to watch the version that plays the film backwards overlaid on the straightforward version now.

Overall well made, some nice creative visuals.

Hunger Games Catching Fire - 7/10

Better then the first one, which I'd give a 6/10. Acting was infinitely better, and the budget was bigger. Little bummed because I've never read the books and I guessed the "twist" within the first 30 minutes. Otherwise, decent flick.

In the middle of watching End of Watch right now.

Rightttt,cause there are so many like it out....so what did you find engaging in a movie?

I think the other posters covered it. Technology in the movie = original. Storyline = meh.

What do I find engaging in a movie? Original story, something that makes you think and/or question, compelling characters, something that makes you feel, something with a true twist that you don't see coming from a mile way (a rarity these days).

Now don't get me wrong, Avatar never set out to be the new "Citizen Kane". It's a popcorn flick through and through and a pretty decent one at that but to say it's 10/10 or basically "perfect" cinema is a bit dishonest IMO.

I think the other posters covered it. Technology in the movie = original. Storyline = meh.

What do I find engaging in a movie? Original story, something that makes you think and/or question, compelling characters, something that makes you feel, something with a true twist that you don't see coming from a mile way (a rarity these days).

Now don't get me wrong, Avatar never set out to be the new "Citizen Kane". It's a popcorn flick through and through and a pretty decent one at that but to say it's 10/10 or basically "perfect" cinema is a bit dishonest IMO.

Interesting you mentioned Citizen Kane. I'm one of those that generally hate 3D and I came across this review of Avatar.....http://paulboylan.wo...d-was-annoying/

citizen_kane_4.jpg

Interesting you mentioned Citizen Kane. I'm one of those that generally hate 3D and I came across this review of Avatar.....http://paulboylan.wo...d-was-annoying/

citizen_kane_4.jpg

The last paragraph sums it up (and mirrors my comments) nicely:

Was Avatar the best movie ever made? No. Will it change the way movies are made? Not likely. Was the story original? No, but it was a story worth telling and wonderful to watch being told in such spectacular fashion. I am definitely going to see it again.

End of Watch - 6.5/10

Another film I wouldn't have watched if it weren't for Netflix. As has been mentioned already, a really good cop flick, which did a fantastic job showing the relationship between partners in the police force. Well acted, scripted, and shot.

Would I watch it again? No. Is it worth watching? I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but if you have an hour and a half to kill and you have Netflix, give it a shot.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pacific Rim - 6/10

I'm getting really lazy with my reviews. As far as a popcorn flick goes, it was worth seeing. The SFX were incredible and the actors did an ok job; it's always nice to see Ron Perlman pop up in films. The explanation for the Kaiju (and dinosaurs) was pretty creative, actually. Ordinarily, when Sci-Fi movies explain things in detail, it usually ends up fueling how ridiculous the scenario actually is. But the explanation was decent enough.

However, like majority big-budget popcorn flicks, there wasn't a lot of meat on its bones to warrant a second viewing, which is why I'm giving it a 6/10.

The World's End- 9/10

I really, really enjoyed this movie! The action scenes were just so entertaining and it was pretty hilarious.

I thought it was good but the plot and climax were poorly executed IMO. Probably the worst of the cornetto trilogy. Hot fuzz is still my favourite

Q:

Is it worth watching the new Total Recall film? Big fan of the original, so I want to see it simply because of that. However, I also know that it was generally panned. Very torn.

Postives:

- It's Total Recall

- Colin Farrell

- Bryan Cranston

Negatives:

- Not the original

- No Paul Verhoeven

- No Arnold

Q:

Is it worth watching the new Total Recall film? Big fan of the original, so I want to see it simply because of that. However, I also know that it was generally panned. Very torn.

Postives:

- It's Total Recall

- Colin Farrell

- Bryan Cranston

Negatives:

- Not the original

- No Paul Verhoeven

- No Arnold

I didn't hate it as much as other people did (then again, I've never seen the original). Not good, but not Batman and Robin bad. I guess it would be a 5.75-6/10.

Q:

Postives:

- It's Total Recall

- Colin Farrell

- Bryan Cranston

Negatives:

- Not the original

- No Paul Verhoeven

- No Arnold

I didn't hate it, but to me, it was kind of like the latest remake of The Thing. Neither movie really was an upgrade (in fact, I'd say they were both downgrades) and considering the time between releases and advances in filmmaking, it was a huge strike against them.

I didn't hate it, but to me, it was kind of like the latest remake of The Thing. Neither movie really was an upgrade (in fact, I'd say they were both downgrades) and considering the time between releases and advances in filmmaking, it was a huge strike against them.

The latest "The Thing" wasnt a remake, it was a prequel.