The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Annihilation - 7.5/10

Very trippy sci-fi. Loved the music, and the use of colours. Found the ending disjointed, but overall a great movie.

Annihilation doesn’t get the attention that it deserves. For a sci-fi film, it’s truly original. 

Alex Garland is an absolute treasure. Both this and Ex Machina are two of the best original sci-fi’s to come out the last 10(ish) year.

1 minute ago, Mango3 said:

This movie left me very confused :huh::wacko:

I'm no movie-analysis expert, but it seems the events of the movie were mirroring the protagonist's life.

Spoiler

First off, the story seems to be about cancer. Natalie Portman's character Lena is a cancer researcher, and the shimmer is like the earth getting cancer, that is slowly growing, and destroying everything.

But it also mirrored Lena's personal life. By trying to change our world, and create something new, the "shimmer" was destroying everything. And by trying to change things in her life by having an affair, Lena had essentially destroyed her marriage, and influenced her husband to go on a suicidal mission.

It's a really interesting and deeply symbolic movie, that was well-done from beginning to end, and has left me thinking about it for days. The only thing that held it back from a higher score for me was the ending, because it jumped around a lot (which felt weird, as it was fairly slow-paced up to that point), and I think just felt TOO symbolic.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm no movie-analysis expert, but it seems the events of the movie were mirroring the protagonist's life.

Reveal hidden contents

First off, the story seems to be about cancer. Natalie Portman's character Lena is a cancer researcher, and the shimmer is like the earth getting cancer, that is slowly growing, and destroying everything.

But it also mirrored Lena's personal life. By trying to change our world, and create something new, the "shimmer" was destroying everything. And by trying to change things in her life by having an affair, Lena had essentially destroyed her marriage, and influenced her husband to go on a suicidal mission.

It's a really interesting and deeply symbolic movie, that was well-done from beginning to end, and has left me thinking about it for days. The only thing that held it back from a higher score for me was the ending, because it jumped around a lot (which felt weird, as it was fairly slow-paced up to that point), and I think just felt TOO symbolic.

Kind of like Interstellar too. Both were a whole lot of fun. Then director/writer said "Oh $&!#, we gotta wrap this up."

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Reveal hidden contents

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Kind of like Interstellar too. Both were a whole lot of fun. Then director/writer said "Oh $&!#, we gotta wrap this up."

The only thing about Annihilation that I didn’t like was how smart it was, only to have a rather spelled out, dumbed down ending. Felt like the studio stepped in and said, “Wait a second, we need the general audience to things a little more clear for them.” Just my feeling on the ending. May not have been the case for others.

As for Interstellar. As always, should have been an HBO 10 part miniseries. Too much going on, not enough time for Nolan.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

The only thing about Annihilation that I didn’t like was how smart it was, only to have a rather spelled out, dumbed down ending. Felt like the studio stepped in and said, “Wait a second, we need the general audience to things a little more clear for them.” Just my feeling on the ending. May not have been the case for others.

As for Interstellar. As always, should have been an HBO 10 part miniseries. Too much going on, not enough time for Nolan.

I audibly scoffed when Jessica Chastain announced that "maybe the fifth dimension was love"... That definitely felt studio-inspired. 

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

What? You didn't like it when...

Spoiler

Jennifer Jason's Leigh's character said "annihilation", as she was literally being annihilated?

18 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The ending of Interstellar is, IMO, the worst movie ending of all time.

Up until the last half-hour, I was really enjoying the movie. But 30 minutes later, I loathed it beyond measure.

We clearly saw the same movie  lol

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

What? You didn't like it when...

Reveal hidden contents

:lol:

My wife and I love it when the title of a movie is fit into the film; especially when it’s the dumbest way possible.

For example, if the line is “Welcome, to Jurassic Park.” That’s fine. That’s necessary to the movie.

But when the line is, “What is this, some type of Ghost Ship?” We just bust a gut. Laziest writing possible.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

My wife and I love it when the title of a movie is fit into the film; especially when it’s the dumbest way possible.

For example, if the line is “Welcome, to Jurassic Park.” That’s fine. That’s necessary to the movie.

But when the line is, “What is this, some type of Ghost Ship?” We just bust a gut. Laziest writing possible.

Edit:

By far the very worst:

"We're some kind of.... Suicide Squad".

- Suicide Squad. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Monty said:

You'll love this then:

(EDIT - This link is better: https://www.thisisinsider.com/movie-title-said-during-movie-2017-6)

It's usually hokey, or at least reasonably natural. But in Annihilation it couldn't have been more out-of-place.

Edited by D-Money

On 16/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, D-Money said:

The ending of Interstellar is, IMO, the worst movie ending of all time.

Up until the last half-hour, I was really enjoying the movie. But 30 minutes later, I loathed it beyond measure.

Spoiler

Me too, I enjoyed that they tried to sorta use real science with all the time dilation etc... but I fell a sleep near the end only to be woken up with Mr Alright Alright Alright yelling in his space suit in the middle of a black hole. I was like, "is this movie still going!?!?! and does he need to scream so much?" That said if I was floating passed an event horizon I would be screaming too but that would be from the spaghettification ! 

Thoroughbreds

Thought I reviewed this, but appears as though I haven’t.

Stars that girl from The VVitch and Split, as well as the girl from Bates Motel (the one with a breathing tank). Also, in his last film role, stars Anton Yelchin.

Really good film with terrific music and phenomenal performances, especially from the girl from Bates Motel.

Don’t want to spoil anything, as finding out who the characters are and the story around them is all part of the “fun”. Not a family film, that’s all I’ll say.

Definitely worth watching.

E547A46E-61A8-495C-AE61-5EA7FB1126C2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The Predator (2018)

Plot of first three Predator films:

Alien hunts humans for sport. Claim trophies.

Plot of The Predator (2018):

Alien comes to Earth to abduct child with autism and take him back to their homeworld in order to make “super predators.” No, seriously. That’s the plot.

This isn’t even a film to hate or feel like you wasted time watching. It also doesn’t have many moments of stupidity to even laugh at how awful it is. It’s simply a baffling movie. Nothing makes sense.