Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

20 hours ago, Master Mind said:

How it ends

Just total garbage. Do not watch.

Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

One scene of this was filmed in my town. And our friends sold their motorcycles that were used in the film, and subsequently destroyed in one of the scenes.

I honestly couldn’t get passed 15 minutes of it. Terrible.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Red Sparrow

Solid evening of entertainment. Nothing mind blowing. Just a decent spy movie. 

I just can’t pull myself to watch a movie that strictly star’s Jennifer Lawrence. Her and Emma Watson just come across as total morons. And then there’s Amy Schumer. 

Those three are the worst.

• Upvote 1

Spielberg (Documentary Film)

It is a very insightful 2.5 hour documentary that tells the story of one of the most influential directors of all time. You learn so much more about what happens behind the scenes of some of biggest movies in cinema and how they came to fruition even when faced with complications. There are also several short interviews that give you perspective into who the man is by many of the actors that have worked with him, and also other directors including George Lucas, Scorsese, and Liam Neeson to name a few. 

The thing about the film that struck me the most was just how much his own personal life has influenced and used as an emotional drive for number of his classic movies.  

12 hours ago, Monty said:

I just can’t pull myself to watch a movie that strictly star’s Jennifer Lawrence. Her and Emma Watson just come across as total morons. And then there’s Amy Schumer. 

She's just another actress to me. I don't get all the adoration.

She was fine in it. Nothing spectacular. Just fine.

28 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

She's just another actress to me. I don't get all the adoration.

She was fine in it. Nothing spectacular. Just fine.

I think that may actually be more the thing with me with Lawrence, actually. All actors/actresses (for the most part) are total morons who are out of touch with reality. Shouldn’t really hold it against them.

It’s the adoration you mentioned with her I don’t quite understand. Her performances have never left me with the feeling that she’s doing anything special. She’s entering Tom Cruise territory for me, where I can’t really see passed the fact that I’m watching Jennifer Lawrence acting as someone else, instead of getting lost in the character and forgetting you’re seeing an actor’s interpretation. If that makes any sense. Difference for me is that Cruise has carved out a niche and looks like he’s giving it every single movie he’s in and actually looks like he cares in every performance.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

It’s the adoration you mentioned with her I don’t quite understand. Her performances have never left me with the feeling that she’s doing anything special. She’s entering Tom Cruise territory for me, where I can’t really see passed the fact that I’m watching Jennifer Lawrence acting as someone else, instead of getting lost in the character and forgetting you’re seeing an actor’s interpretation. If that makes any sense. Difference for me is that Cruise has carved out a niche and looks like he’s giving it every single movie he’s in and actually looks like he cares in every performance.

Good analogy. She needs to be doing this for at least another 20 years though  lol

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Monty said:

There are far too many movies being pumped out these days that are purely star vehicles. Lawrence has pulled off some very good performances in the past though. I think it had a lot to do with not being a sole focal point for the movie. Once some of these younger actors start getting offered these ego stroking roles in flaccid films, they truly lose what made them interesting.

The pinnacle of acting in the last 30 years for me has been Daniel Day-Lewis. He took his time (sometimes years) in choosing roles, and completely immersed himself in each one. He became the character and gave the audience everything. From Bill the Butcher to Daniel Plainview, to Christy Brown, to Gerry Conlon, the guy is an absolute genius. And now he's retired, leaving a gaping chasm for a bunch of understudies to attempt to fill.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The pinnacle of acting in the last 30 years for me has been Daniel Day-Lewis. He took his time (sometimes years) in choosing roles, and completely immersed himself in each one. He became the character and gave the audience everything. From Bill the Butcher to Daniel Plainview, to Christy Brown, to Gerry Conlon, the guy is an absolute genius. And now he's retired, leaving a gaping chasm for a bunch of understudies to attempt to fill.

Huge DDL fan. And even though I knew I was watching a DDL movie, I never felt like I was watching an actor.

And his Bill the Butcher performance is a fantastic example of a terrible film made watchable, due to his stunning acting.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Monty said:

Huge DDL fan. And even though I knew I was watching a DDL movie, I never felt like I was watching an actor.

Exactly. It's a complete immersion and embodiment into a character that never gets old, even after repeated viewings.

Just now, Monty said:

And his Bill the Butcher performance is a fantastic example of a terrible film made watchable, due to his stunning acting.

It was a bloated film for sure. His portrayal of William Cutting was one of the greatest character portrayals in the last three to four decades of film. Just unbelievable. Flawless.

Birdman or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance  

Took me a while to finally get to it but I thought this movie was great! Some of the first things that come to mind when thinking back about the movie include: the way it was astoundingly and uniquely made to look like a single shot, its commentary on some aspects of movie society today such as the prominence of big budget actions versus"pure acting" (i.e. Broadway) and critic bias, and especially how much Michael Keaton's character resembles his own career (Batman/Birdman --> Decline), although he coincidentally does end up becoming a Bird-Man.

9.5/10 

BlacKkKlansman: 8.5/10

Definitely worth a watch. Nice scene demonstrating the different in sentiment behind phrases like Black Power versus White Power... which I think Peele and Jones were using to illustrate why saying "Black Lives Matter" carries a different sentiment than "Blue Lives Matter" or "All Lives Matter".

Sully: 8/10

I really didn't think there would be anything in this movie worth watching. However, it was really well-acted. The scene between Sully and the air traffic controller was really subtle but very impactful. 

Edited by Down by the River