The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Prestige really only works once I think. But if you like to read, the novel it was based on is amazing.

Really anything by Christopher Priest - my personal fav is The Glamour.

Really the only reason I went back & watched the Prestige was because I read the book, man was I creeped out by the ending in the book.

A Fantastic Fear of Everything - 6/10 I like Simon Pegg, so this already had a high chance of succeeding. Pegg has a history of doing independent films in England, aside from his own (ie: Big Nothing, Run Fatboy Run), so this was a welcomed return. Long story short, Pegg is a children's author who has begun to have an irrational fear of everything. Was never meant to be anything more then a small independent film, so aspirations were not too high. The only other person I recognized in the film was the actress, who had a bit part in The Darjeeling Limited. Not a terrific film, but not terrible either. It was written & co-directed by the lead singer of Kula Shaker (remember them?).

The DaVinci Code: 6/10

I know this flick is over 10 years old but am I the only one who found it to be kinda lame? The ending was absolutely atrocious.

Is the sequel even worth watching?

Reading a review which has the descriptions "kinda lame" and "absolutely atrocious" in it, I would have thought a lot lower then a 6/10. To me, DaVinci Code is a solid 0/10. When I watched it, there were no redeemable parts.

• Upvote 1

Reading a review which has the descriptions "kinda lame" and "absolutely atrocious" in it, I would have thought a lot lower then a 6/10. To me, DaVinci Code is a solid 0/10. When I watched it, there were no redeemable parts.

Quite sad, for both Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code, their book counterparts (at least in my opinion) were enjoyable to read. I was severely disappointed in the movie adaptations.

Don't watch the "sequel" its as bad or worse. The books are about ten million times better and the movie sequel is actually a prequel book.

Quite sad, for both Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code, their book counterparts (at least in my opinion) were enjoyable to read. I was severely disappointed in the movie adaptations.

I didn't even bother watching Angels and Demons. Da Vinci Code already made me dislike Audrey Tautou (Amelie), I didn't want Angels and Demons to make me hate Ewan Mcgregor.

I wouldn't go as far as 0/10 because if a movie is really that bad I usually turn it off. The only reason I gave it a 6/10 was because it had its suspenseful and intriguing moments but yes, arguably it could be a 5/10. I wouldn't say the entire movie was atrocious but it was just a little lame, maybe disappointing is more appropriate? The ending was just ridiculous.

The storyline for the sequel/prequel seems way better than The DaVinci Code though. I never read the books but I've always found that watching the movie and the "hollywoodization" that comes from it, after reading the same book was always highly disappointing, and dragged my own personal rating way down.

Edited by DarthNinja

10/10 - Captain America: Winter Soilder. Excellent movie, the best Marvel movie imo, tops The Avengers. The realistic manner in which they approached Shield, the vulnerability of Nick Fury, issues of morality, among many twists contained in the movie truly made it for some edge of your seat entertainment. This made me excited to watch the next Avengers movie.

Superbad 8-9/10, just damn funny. Seen a few time before.

Ides of March, 8/10, good flick, kind of a House of Cards feel to politics. Second time watching it.

Haven't watched it recently, only saw the once. Saw the preview in the Ides of March DVD. Just want to say, 'Drive', sucked, awful movie, like zero outta 1000.

Art of the Steal 7/10

Surprisingly goooood heist movie starring... Kurt Russell? And Matt Dillon. Full of tons of funny bits and random humour that makes it really fun. I love heist movies. Some are yawners, but this one I totally recommend.

This week I saw a few documentaries (all on Netflix). In order from worst-->best:

Cropsey (7/10) - Creepy doc about a staten island serial killer who has since became folklore. It's disturbing stuff, but I think the filmmakers were hoping to uncover something big that never really materialized. Still, very atmospheric, and very creepy.

Best Worst Movie (7.5/10) - A doc about the "worst movie ever made:" Trolls 2, made by its now grown-up child star. The stuff about the movie itself gets old kind of quickly, but the portraits of the people involved with it (the director who thinks it's a masterpiece and gets upset when people laugh at it, the real-life dentist who debates quitting his practice to capitalize on his new-found fame, another actress who has clearly gone insane since the film was shot), and how they're all deluding themselves is a little more interesting.

Cocaine Cowboys (8/10) - It's the story of the rise of cocaine smuggling and dealing through Miami, and the drug wars that resulted. It's essentially just a series of interviews with various drug smugglers/hitmen/detectives etc... but the stories themselves are fascinating. I've heard people complain that this movie glorifies cocaine culture, and honestly that's probably a fair point, but I'm not sure it's the filmmaker's job to prevent the people who are remembering their youth from glorifying it. And they certainly don't shy away from the realities of the violence either.

Let the Fire Burn (9.5/10) - Now this was great film. It's from last year and it absolutely should have been up for best doc at the Oscars. It recounts the 1980s standoff between a black liberation movement in Philadelphia and the government, which ended up with the activist compound (which was in a residential area) being firebombed via police helicopter and then left to burn down, which ended up killing the majority of the activists while also burning down a lot of the neighborhood. It's extremely unbiased, and you'll find yourself sympathizing with both the police and the activists at various parts in the story, and the story itself is extremely compelling. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before.