The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Guest Gumballthechewy

"Rush" 9/10

I loved it. The era, the cars, the sounds. Extremely fun, stylish movie.

Needed more Natalie Dormer.

Yeah my wife and I hated this movie (the first was the funniest and we still love).

We were turned off from the beginning with the whole giraffe thing (horrible act of cruelty with a big time fail on humour).

This script and the focus on Chow & the bearded tard with all their A hole antics was too much.

I liked it better then the second one. My ratings would go:

Hangover 1: 8/10

Hangover 2: 4/10

Hangover 3: 6.5/10

Dirty Pretty Things - 8/10 Stephen Frears has directed such a diverse range of films, from Dangerous Laisons, The Grifters and High Fidelity, to The Queen and Philomena. Dirty Pretty Things has always been on my list to watch, but I just never got around to it. Then, a few days ago, the craptacular DaVinci Code was mentioned on here, and I remembered that Audrey Tautou was not only in that pile of dog crap, but also in the critically acclaimed Dirty Pretty Things. Didn't know what to expect nor what the the story was about, but it was such a great watch. Oscar nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor stars as the male lead. Despite Audrey Tautou receiving top billing, it really is Chiwetel Ejiofor's film. That said, Tautou's next big follow-up to Amelie, and she absolutely knocked her role out of the park. Great acting all around and an interesting story revolving around illegal immigrants in England. Really great watch.

Premium Rush - 7/10 Give me a break, I really liked it. I trust JGL and Michael Shannon to act in only good movies right now. If the movie is fluff, I still expect them to do well enough in their respective roles not break my attention. For what the movie was, it is a solid 7/10. I would watch it again if it was on, as they are both very convincing in their roles with interesting enough characters.

No way you should feel guilty for liking Premium Rush. I just rewatched it a month or so ago and it held up for what it was - super fast paced, fluffy indie fun with a great soundtrack. I've got a couple good friends who are bike messengers and the movie's take on the subculture is fairly spot on, just a little caricaturized, like everything else in it.

I thought naming the main character Wylie was a clear sign that the viewer should view it as a live action cartoon.

Premium Rush - 7/10Give me a break, I really liked it. I trust JGL and Michael Shannon to act in only good movies right now. If the movie is fluff, I still expect them to do well enough in their respective roles not break my attention. For what the movie was, it is a solid 7/10. I would watch it again if it was on, as they are both very convincing in their roles with interesting enough characters.

I liked it too. It was a very good movie for what it was.

Would have been even better if not for the ending.

Did You Hear About the Morgans? - 2/10

Family pick. Sooooooo lame. Soooooooooo cliched. And not even remotely funny. Pretty standard fare for Sarah Velociraptor, but I thought Hugh Grant was better than this...

...(Remembers American Dreamz)...I take that back.

Edited by D-Money

Frozen 3/10

I heard nothing but good things about this movie, but it didn't live up to the hype.

It was average at best, all the music was too similar it was like they kept singing the same song. The story was also really lacklustre and not that enjoyable.

I was wondering about this one. I LOVE me a good Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks flick and this one's had tons of positivity swirling around it...but everything I've seen (commercials, trailers etc) it looks highly average and formulaic. Like the animated film version of pop music. Highly conflicting...

Anybody else seen it/have thoughts?

Did You Hear About the Morgans? - 2/10

Family pick. Sooooooo lame. Soooooooooo cliched. And not even remotely funny. Pretty standard fare for Sarah Velociraptor, but I thought Hugh Grant was better than this...

...(Remembers American Dreamz)...I take that back.

I feel for your brain that it had to endure a Sarah Jessica Parker film. I think the only film I liked her in was Mars Attacks. All others, including LA Story, are not good.

I feel for your brain that it had to endure a Sarah Jessica Parker film. I think the only film I liked her in was Mars Attacks. All others, including LA Story, are not good.

I remember liking LA Story at the time. But SJP's character was a vapid air-head, so at least I didn't have to watch her act.

The funny thing about this movie is that it presents her as some superstar real estate agent. But during the brief snippets of showings she is "Uhm"-ing and "Uhhh"-ing her way through her lines...totally mailed it in.

Hugh Grant looks so disinterested, almost like he's reading the lines to his "jokes" right out of the script.

Edited by D-Money

I was wondering about this one. I LOVE me a good Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks flick and this one's had tons of positivity swirling around it...but everything I've seen (commercials, trailers etc) it looks highly average and formulaic. Like the animated film version of pop music. Highly conflicting...

Anybody else seen it/have thoughts?

it's a really good, cute movie. idk what that guy's on about.

but the music does suck, especially when compared to the great Disney soundtracks out there (it just sounds like pop music).

it's a really good, cute movie. idk what that guy's on about.

but the music does suck, especially when compared to the great Disney soundtracks out there (it just sounds like pop music).

Well that 1-1...anybody want to be the tie breaker? :lol:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 7/10
I was more than able to enjoy the movie. I don't think the added context detracted from the movie with regards to what parts of the story are being told, but it feels like the movie is taking forever just to get to the point. This one meandered around, a lot more so than the first Hobbit movie did.
With this one though it felt like the beginning of the film was just a series of random events, and it was hard to make sense of what exactly was happening, especially in association with the end to the first movie. They weren't jumping around the story or anything, it's just that it took until they got to Lake Town before things found a nice groove.
The latter third of the movie was pretty damn good, yet the cliffhanger/incomplete ending was worse than the first one. The movies have been just ending in random places.
Most all of the movie's issues stem from the fact that they wanted to make this into a 3 movie series. Apparently there's going to be another added 25 minutes in the extended edition. Lol. If so, I hope they use it all on the beginning scenes to tie things together better.

Hugh Grant looks so disinterested, almost like he's reading the lines to his "jokes" right out of the script.

Oh, Hugh Grant. Off the top of my head, the only movie I've enjoyed him in is About a Boy; which is terrific. Alright, that's not entirely true, my wife and I think he is the only watchable part of Two Weeks Notice. Though I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet.

Oh, Hugh Grant. Off the top of my head, the only movie I've enjoyed him in is About a Boy; which is terrific. Alright, that's not entirely true, my wife and I think he is the only watchable part of Two Weeks Notice. Though I haven't seen Cloud Atlas yet.

Aww come on. As corny as it is, Love Actually's a good holiday movie and he did a decent job there.

Aww come on. As corny as it is, Love Actually's a good holiday movie and he did a decent job there.

I'm sure it is, I just haven't watched it. Seen one too many terrible Hugh Grant films (ie: Mickey Blue Eyes, 9 Months) that warrant viewing another one of his treasures.

Edited by Monty

About a Boy was definitely his best.

But usually he seems to be able to elevate his material. A good example of this is Music & Lyrics, which by all accounts should have sucked, and yet ended up being quite enjoyable. He was also the best thing about Bridget Jones's Diary, and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Edited by D-Money

But usually he seems to be able to elevate his material. A good example of this is Music & Lyrics, which by all accounts should have sucked, and yet ended up being quite enjoyable. He was also the best thing about Bridget Jones's Diary, and Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Not terrible in Notting Hill either. As far as modern RomCom's go it's one of the more watchable to be forced to sit down to :lol:

Can't bring myself to watch Music & Lyrics, and I remember absolutely hating Bridget Jones' Diary. As for Four Weddigns and a Funeral, I can honestly say that I still haven't seen it, and possibly never will. There's some movies I haven't seen that I don't want to now because it's like a fun party game; example, still haven't seen Schindler's List, while my wife has never seen Titanic. I don't want to see FWAAF simply because I've gone this long without seeing it that I just want to keep the streak going. Just remembered another decent Hugh Grant rom-com, Notting Hill. Not terrible.