The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Star Trek Into Darkness

8.5/10

First half - 10/10

Second half - 7/10

Benedict Cinnamonbun made a good villain, but there were several cringe-worthy moments towards the end of the film.

As a big Star Trek fan though, I am pleased with what this added to the franchise (despite being a rehash of a previous movie).

Side Effects - 7/10

Really enjoyed what is supposed to be Steven Soderbergh's last film. Ended up being completely different than what I was expecting. There really wasn't a whole lot about it that I didn't like to bring it down 3 points. Wasn't really buying the lesbian angle, there must have been a better angle to work with.

Like I said, really cool thriller.

Well, it's my birthday tomorrow (ah thank you). And my wife and I are going to see a movie. Can't decide between Mud (99% on RT) or Iron Man 3. Suggestions?

Happy birthday and GO SEE MUD

I haven't seen it, but it's by the same dude who did Take Shelter, which is in my opinion top 3 movies of the decade

Hangover 3 (6/10) - Had its moments. Nothing memorable but it had some pretty good one liners. I would recommend staying until after the credits because it's by far the funniest scene. Obviously not nearly as good as the original but it ended up being better than I expected, and I liked it better than the second.

Gonna go see FF6 next week, should be sick.

Edited by etsen3

Side Effects 7/10 - It starts out great but kind of falls apart a bit in the end IMO. There are only so many twists you can throw into a movie before it starts to get boring. Also the big reveal was really lazily done. It was just 5 minutes of exposition that wraps things up way too neatly while at the same time creating a couple of major plotholes. Still well worth watching though, especially since it may be Soderbergh's last theatrical release until he finishes with his mid-life crisis.

The Apartment 10/10 - Wow this movie was great. I expected it to be a slapstick comedy going in but it takes a couple of turns that take it in a much different, darker direction. If you don't mind renting a B&W movie from 1960 it's well worth your time.

Cool Hand Luke 7/10 - Maybe my expectations were too high for this film, but I don't really see it as the great american classic it's heralded as being. There are a few iconic scenes and a couple of great performances, but the film felt really disjointed. It was like watching a series of vignettes with little tying them together except the characters. Still worth a watch if you haven't seen it, but temper your expectations.