The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek - 7.5/10

This 1944 film stars Betty Hutton and Eddie Bracken. Hutton plays Trudy Kockenlocker, a woman who accidently gets drunk with a bunch of soldiers the night before they leave and ends up married and pregnant. She does not remember who the soldier was and knows she used a fake name, so she has no means of tracking down any information.

Hutton is good in her role, but the scene stealer goes to Eddie Bracken, who has been trying his hardest to win Hutton's heart ever since their school days. Teh film is a comedy through and through. My wife was busting a gut throughout the whole movie. It ends very abruptly, but the film is from 1944, so I can forgive some of its shortfalls.

WARRIOR- 10/10 Just a mind blowing film, not a big fan of UFC but after watching this movie changed my opinion alot. Tom hardy played his role amazingly and the just the writing of the movie itself was outstanding.

Edited by Kesbomb

Star Trek : Into Darkness 7/10

While the look/budget/feel/blockbuster effect of the film was EXTREMELY well done (and given the fact that I cant stand any Star Trek Movie prior to the JJ Abrams Prequels so I am not biased against the "canon") this film was a great addition to a great movie.

The big villian reveal was probably the worst kept secret in film in recent memory, that said... It was still cool, and Cumberbatch was cold, villainous and brooding. (This guy seriously needs more work... now)

I cannot overlook a ton of plot holes though, they are big and often. This is what is negatively effecting my score. If you can overlook some of the weird and lazy plot holes the movie is exactly what a Summer movie should be; loud, big, funny and entertaining,

I will be adding this to my blu ray collection in 3d when it comes out.

Horrible bosses was way better. Its not really that great, I think 7.5 was pretty high lol

I really liked Horrible Bosses, they had a good cast too. How's Melissa McCarthy in this? I'm a fan of Bateman but never really seen any of McCarthy's work.

WARRIOR- 10/10 Just a mind blowing film, not a big fan of UFC but after watching this movie changed my opinion alot. Tom hardy played his role amazingly and the just the writing of the movie itself was outstanding.

Yeah, I really dislike UFC but that movie was pretty damn great. And the plot was basically just a corny Rocky rip-off. Just goes to show how great acting and directing can save a movie.

Sansho the Bailiff 9/10 - Here's one a lot of people probably haven't heard of. It's a Japanese film from 1954 by arthouse favourite Kenji Mizoguchi. I picked it out because I noticed that a lot of really prominent critics keep citing it as one of their all-time favourite films. It's a telling of a famous Japanese fairy tale about a governor in Japan who's exiled because he refuses to conscript and unfairly tax his citizens. When his family makes the trek to meet up with him they are kidnapped and the mom is sold into prostitution and the kids are sold into slavery. The rest of the story is the kids trying to get back to their parents. It doesn't get a whole lot more uplifting from there, but everyone should see it at least once in my opinion. It's kind of like Schindler's List in that regard. And it's got an ending that with stick with you like you wouldn't believe. The only reason it doesn't get a full 10 is that a lot of dialogue is really on the nose, which is a trend I see a lot of in early Japanese and American cinema. Still, if you ever get the chance you should definitely check it out. I know the library system has a few copies...

Was in the mood for some comedic features lately so I watched:

Identity Thief: 6.5/10

Had its share of funny moments (not to mention a few that actually made me laugh aloud), but was also too predictable as the movie progressed. Bateman and McCarthy were great though.

Warm Bodies: 7.5/10

Didn't know what to expect plot-wise going in, but the movie was enjoyable. The movie is pretty much a modern, yet post apocalyptic allusion of Romeo and Juliet. Having Rob Corddry appear was an added bonus. Always gets a laugh or two out of me.

Edited by flapjacks

Star Trek: Into Darkness. 7/10 as was noted by an earlier poster the plot holes were incredibly difficult to overlook, wasn't a huge fan of how powerful Spock's character came across while Kirk's character came across as a bit of a wuss, quite frankly. The role reversal, almost..as it seemed most of the movie that Spock was the one in command...which bugged the crap out of me..was almost too much for me to take. Having seen Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan this morning to prepare myself and have the plot line fresh in my mind I was deeply disappointed in the lack of character development of the "Khan" character in this film. Ricardo Montalban's Khan was far more memorable..far less robotic. The special effects were dazzling and Scotty's wit kept me entertained but for the most part this film was all flash and very little substance. And I still can't get the failed concept of Kirk being the one in the decontamination chamber near the end of the film...which I thought was a terrible idea..out of my head.

Oh and Spock yelling "Khan!" after Kirk had died...really? As if they hadn't already bastardized this story enough?

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane

The Purge: 6/10.

I don't regret going to see it and the concept is pretty interesting. Very dystopian and made me think of the hunger games in its limit time rules. While it made me jump 1 or 2 times it had this build up to a climax that wasn't really there.

Flight - 6/10

Not a typical Robert Zemeckis film. It has been 13 long years since Zemeckis has done a live-action film, after switching to digital and doing The Polar Express, Beowulf, and The Christmas Carol. I have to say, I was pumped to watch this as Zemeckis was responsible for one of my favourite films of all time (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) and other great films as well (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump).

Did I like Flight? Yeah. It ended the way that it should have, which is something I don't see very often. The acting was really well done as well. I'd say it's worth watching, but defintely not worth owning.