The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

On silly gooses suggestion I watched Bone Tomohawk.

6.5/10

great graphic violence with some dry humour sprinkled throughout.  I could see it being a cult type movie. Kept me entertained.

glad you watched it.  6.5 is about right heh.  Not sure why I gave it 7.5.  Ok maybe a 7 is fair.  

I'm going to watch that surf film you recommended.  I don't surf at all but really enjoy surf films with good cinematography from time to time.  Just curious, did you get it through Telus/Shaw on demand or somewhere else?  

Try Animal Kingdom and let me know what you think.

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

glad you watched it.  6.5 is about right heh.  Not sure why I gave it 7.5.  Ok maybe a 7 is fair.  

I'm going to watch that surf film you recommended.  I don't surf at all but really enjoy surf films with good cinematography from time to time.  Just curious, did you get it through Telus/Shaw on demand or somewhere else?  

Try Animal Kingdom and let me know what you think.

My brother purchased it through iTunes.

i think it was 9$?

ive watched a lot of surf vids and production wise this is the creme de la creme.

my brothers wife came in to the room about 15 mins in asking if I'd smoked one lol because I hadn't said a word and was just staring in awe.

ftr I don't puff.

edit:

sound track is is quite good too. Hopefully you have a bit of a system to go along with a good tv

Edited by riffraff

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I've never watched a movie through itunes- I'll give it a shot.  I think the misses will like it too

She will.  It's good for travellers too. Gets the buzz going.  Let me know what you thought.  Enjoy.  Try surfing this summer B)

edit:

checked. 14.99 to buy 5.99 to rent.  Good value on the rental for sure

Edited by riffraff

45 years: 8.2/10

after growing up and watching so many american/hollywood movies where people above the age of 50 don't even exist (except as the occasional sassy sidekick), i've come to really appreciate old people dramas (like Another Year, Amour, etc.)

anyway, 45 years is a very small, but very good movie. kinda bleak, but powerful at the same time. high drama about a marriage being troubled by a revelation. won't be for everyone, as it's a little slow, so i'm certainly not recommending it unless you're in the mood to watch 70 year olds reflect, sometimes depressingly, on the choices they've made. 

Edited by GLASSJAW

About 10 episodes left in Battlestar Galactica. As we finish watching an episode last night, find out they're rebooting the series. While details have not yet been revealed, I can't help but feel they'll cast Kirsten Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, and Sandra Bullock.

On 10/02/2016 at 7:41 AM, Monty said:

Amazing how they (like M. Night Shymalan) make 1 "ok" movie and they can ride that until they die. I knew this going to be terrible before I watched it (thank you HDTGM crew), but it was a total train wreck.

Bees can sense royalty? Her mother decides to immigrate to the US right when she's going to give birth? Rocket boots? He's flying through the air in rocket boots, but moves them like he's rollerblading!

Just so much stupid.

Yeah. I honestly tried to watch the movie without any preconceived notions, but within 15 minutes I was pretty convinced that everyone was going to be right about how awful it is. The beginning may have been the worst part, so it shot itself in the foot before it even got into the weirder stuff it wanted to get into.

I like Science fiction. I like Disney style hidden potential stories. I like action. I like exploring new fictional universes. It screws up in all these regards though.

On 10/02/2016 at 7:41 AM, Monty said:

This was my favorite film that I watched last year. I actually started it again last night while the wife was out. Apparently a sequel is being made about the wolves, titled "We're Wolves".

Might be my favourite comedy, but I think it gets beat out for favourite movie by Mad Max (Though I get the feeling the Big Short will probably win that distinction when I finally watch it). What comedies even came out last year? Were they so unmemorable that speaking off the top of my head, I can't even name another one?

21 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Might be my favourite comedy, but I think it gets beat out for favourite movie by Mad Max (Though I get the feeling the Big Short will probably win that distinction when I finally watch it).

It won't.

21 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

What comedies even came out last year? Were they so unmemorable that speaking off the top of my head, I can't even name another one?

Good question. I had to look into it, because nothing popped out in my head. Here's the "Best of the Best":

- Spy

- Trainwreck

- Sisters

- Pitch Perfect 2

- Ted 2

- Get Hard

So, you know, the usual "Cream of the Crap".

While I loved The Revenant, What We Do In The Shadows took the honor for me, as I know I'll re-watch that film for years to come.

- "I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool."

- "I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had f*cked it."

Edited by Monty

Almost done season 1 of Jessica Jones. It started kind of 'meh' got better, and then kind of went off the rails. Nowhere near as good as Daredevil, but at least good enough to make me want to finish the season. 7/10

Watched the first 5 episodes of Fresh Off The Boat. Very funny, especially the mother. 8/10

Spoiler

The mom's method of teaching Eddie not to date rape had me howling :lol:

Just now, D-Money said:

Almost done season 1 of Jessica Jones. It started kind of 'meh' got better, and then kind of went off the rails. Nowhere near as good as Daredevil, but at least good enough to make me want to finish the season. 7/10

Yeah, it was "ok", but certainly not as strong as Daredevil. However, Daredevil really had The Dark Knight and Gangs of New York feel to it where, had it not been for Vincent D'Onofrio, it would not have been nearly as enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, it was "ok", but certainly not as strong as Daredevil. However, Daredevil really had The Dark Knight and Gangs of New York feel to it where, had it not been for Vincent D'Onofrio, it would not have been nearly as enjoyable.

Yeah - even in JJ, Kilgrave's character is by far the best thing in it. I was really getting into it when...

Spoiler

...Jessica was living in the house with him, and got him to diffuse the hostage situation. That whole scenario was fascinating - I wish they would have explored and prolonged it a bit. But after that it started getting stupid, and at an alarming rate. Finding his parents right away, Hogarth cutting the cord, the secretary killing the ex, Simpson going super-soldier-nutso, Hope getting released just to kill herself...all within a few episodes? Any subtlety they had going was completely thrown out the window.

15 minutes ago, Monty said:

It won't.

Good question. I had to look into it, because nothing popped out in my head. Here's the "Best of the Best":

- Spy

- Trainwreck

- Sisters

- Pitch Perfect 2

- Ted 2

- Get Hard

A solid year for Movie Central/Netflix cues. I have no intention of watching them even then, but it sometimes feels like those platforms exist for such movies to be consumed.

.... Okay, maybe I'll watch Sisters, but that's because I'm a sucker for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. 

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

While I loved The Revenant, What We Do In The Shadows took the honor for me, as I know I'll re-watch that film for years to come.

- "I think we drink virgin blood because it sounds cool."

- "I think of it like this. If you are going to eat a sandwich, you would just enjoy it more if you knew no one had f*cked it."

I hope it's part of a new trend from New Zeland-ian (-ese?-ish?) movies, because from 2014 I quite enjoyed the movie Housebound.

What We Do in the Shadows had a near straight Flight of the Concords style of humour to it that I loved. 

52 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I hope it's part of a new trend from New Zeland-ian (-ese?-ish?) movies, because from 2014 I quite enjoyed the movie Housebound.

What We Do in the Shadows had a near straight Flight of the Concords style of humour to it that I loved. 

Taika Waititi wrote and directed it, along with Jemaine Clement. While Clement obviously was co-writer/co-creator of Flight of the Concords, Waititi and Clement have been friends and writers together since the mid-90s, with Waititi writing and directing 1 Concords episode, as well as the Eagle vs. Shark, with Clement starring.

In related Waititi news, rumor has it that he'll be directing the next Thor movie. Not that it will matter.

Secret in their Eyes: 7/10

I haven't seen the original, so my rating is likely higher than what it should be. Nicole Kidman.... wow. 

Because the movie is based off of another movie based off of a book, it seems that parts of the movie only made sense in the book, where more details existed. Character backgrounds, feuds, etc., were under-explored. The movie also provides flashbacks to scenes that are supposed to make you go 'oh, I didn't get that before'. However, the present was so transparent that you'd figured things out before the flashbacks even happened.