The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 2016-02-19 at 2:06 PM, Monty said:

I just have to say I'm very, very proud of all of you for not watching/rating Zoolander 2 on here.

Stiller is quite possibly one of the worst actors of our time.  Would rather watch Keanu Reeves do another Bill n teds TBH.

Just watched   " Beasts of No Nation "

7/10

Story of a child soldier in Africa fighting in a savage civil war.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles

Caught up to Last Man on Earth. Although the series premiere was by far the best episode, the second season is better than the first one so far.

Tandy was such a turd in S1, nice to see him redeemed a bit.

Edited by D-Money

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Caught up to Last Man on Earth. Although the series premiere was by far the best episode, the second season is better than the first one so far.

Tandy was such a turd in S1, nice to see him redeemed a bit.

Wife and I were laughing so hard in season 2 when Mary Steenbergen's character was singing Informer with the her accordion.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Wife and I were laughing so hard in season 2 when Mary Steenbergen's character was singing Informer with the her accordion.

Hahah, yeah - that was pretty awesome.

I wondered at the time though...would that have resonated with American viewers? Snow was Canadian, and up here we all got blasted with that song thanks to CANCON...but was it as big down there? So I looked it up, and yeah, hit #1 on Billboard too.

Spoiler

The whole thing with Gordon was hilarious. Just the fact that they got a big actor like Farrell to be there, get people excited, and then not even say a line? Ballsy.

I think what made the 2nd season work so much better was each of the characters was more rounded. In the 1st, Tandy was a tool, Carol was annoying, and everyone else was pretty much perfect. The positive qualities of the former and the warts of the latter make it a lot more interesting.

11 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Stiller is quite possibly one of the worst actors of our time.  Would rather watch Keanu Reeves do another Bill n teds TBH.

Just watched   " Beasts of No Nation "

7/10

Story of a child soldier in Africa fighting in a savage civil war.

An excellent movie

image.gif

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2016 at 7:23 PM, Wilbur said:

Hail, Caesar! - 8/10

Coen Brothers goodness.  If you aren't a fan of the Coen Brothers you probably won't like this one unless you have a soft spot for 50s era movies.

Can not wait. Right up my alley ::D

15 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Finally watched We Need To Talk About Kevin. Read the book last summer, but this still managed to draw me in instantly and hold my attention straight through despite knowing the plot. Very well made movie. But so damn intense. I couldn't stop fidgeting and wound up reorganizing my record collection while it played at 1am. Both the book and the film have to be one of the best multi-layered psychological/character studies in recent memory imo.

About the only knock on it is, much as I love him as an actor, John C Reilly seemed miscast as the dad. It's just impossible to make that guy look young. The early scenes, where he's supposed to be in his 20s I think, came off awkwardly. It's like they said "we'll put a toque on him!" and just started shooting. But, minor quibble. 8.5/10

also - Kingsman Secret Service - sillynotinagoodwaybutSamJacksonwasamusing/10

I've avoided watching it as I have trouble with the 'boy is evil incarnate from birth' narrative. It seems it would have been better without resorting to a B-horror movie element as a main story pillar. 

It is supposed to be otherwise good with good performances though... Just not sure I'd get over that issue.

On 23/02/2016 at 9:46 PM, GLASSJAW said:

x files (2016 season): 4.5/10

good characters, one episode i really liked because of its intentional cheese factor and parody. the rest was just too much for me. the appeal for the original series, for me, was always the idea of the unknown. the fear of the possibility of this or that being true. things being questioned and all of that.

here, you have in-your-face kitsch levels of "it's happening!" - i could not stand that. the overbearing terrorist episode, Duchovny's horrible acting, and Carter's godawful dialogue? hard to find things to like. honestly, the final episode is, by far, the worst series finale I have ever seen. if they add on another movie or season, then i pray Carter takes a George Lucas role and just lets other people handle the creative work

I also found it interest and terrible how so much of the dramatic tension of the episode revolved around Scully working with some scientist named "who gives a sh-t" or also named, hilariously, "Einstein." Mulder had like 10 lines in the entire episode. some of the best moments of the original run were the dramatic and romantic tension between Scully and Mulder. did the two of them even speak to each other in this conclusion? 2 lines, maybe?

STUUUUUUUUPID.

It was a complete mixed bag, this season. And it ended a lot more poorly than I had hoped, But I honestly can't wait to see what they do with a new and presumably full season moving forward.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris Carter did direct the three particularly bad episodes of this season though, so, I really hope that he's not behind the camera as much moving forward. You're right. He's definitely in Lucas land here. Hopefully the studio pushes him out a bit, if he's lacking that self-awareness himself.

Edit: I said in the X-Files thread, that the episodes were feeling like they were following a "parabolic arc" of quality that peaked in the third episode, and that I was worried what that meant for the finale.

But I had no idea they were following a literal parabolic arc with critical reception, until I saw this on wikipedia regarding metacritic scores

bed66cdc539f8e46ba53bf711b952b10.png

Damn, lol.

edit 2: I don't have a problem with Einstein, or injecting some new blood with a renewal of this series. They need to handle her better, but it'd be better that she come back rather than be simply written off.

Edited by g_bassi13

19 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

It was a complete mixed bag, this season. And it ended a lot more poorly than I had hoped, But I honestly can't wait to see what they do with a new and presumably full season moving forward.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chris Carter did direct the three particularly bad episodes of this season though, so, I really hope that he's not behind the camera as much moving forward. You're right. He's definitely in Lucas land here. Hopefully the studio pushes him out a bit, if he's lacking that self-awareness himself.

Edit: I said in the X-Files thread, that the episodes were feeling like they were following a "parabolic arc" of quality that peaked in the third episode, and that I was worried what that meant for the finale.

But I had no idea they were following a literal parabolic arc with critical reception, until I saw this on wikipedia regarding metacritic scores

bed66cdc539f8e46ba53bf711b952b10.png

Damn, lol.

as for the bolded, there is virtually nothing they can do going forward that won't be lame as sh-t to me. this ruins absolutely everything for me, because the original series was about the prospect of trouble - now we have it basically all confirmed. what would a new series even be about, then? it's all been confirmed to be true. the government is corrupt. everything in the conspiracy theorist playbook is real. vaccines are trouble, aliens exist, chemtrails are things. everything was confirmed. and now everybody now knows it because some weirdo idiot from youtube told the world, and a giant UFO floated over the city. now what? where do you even go from that?

god, what a pile of sh-t episode

Carter said today that Fox wants more episodes, but Carter said it would be difficult to do in a timely fashion. So who knows what will actually happen. Either he's just lobbying for more money, or he's trying to buy time to figure out how to dig himself out of the mess he created

the witch; 8/10

it's very difficult to even call this a horror movie. it's more of a really strange arthouse period drama. some people will find the content disturbing, most won't. some probably won't even be able to understand the dialogue lol

the language used is largely archaic. the natural lighting is nice. the atmosphere is great, as is the music. some bits of it i'm not entirely sure about (the ending). but overall i found it unnerving and well done.

i just read a book about the 17th century witch trials recently, so i found it interesting to see the paranoia and dishonesty played out so accurately

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

as for the bolded, there is virtually nothing they can do going forward that won't be lame as sh-t to me. this ruins absolutely everything for me, because the original series was about the prospect of trouble - now we have it basically all confirmed. what would a new series even be about, then? it's all been confirmed to be true. the government is corrupt. everything in the conspiracy theorist playbook is real. vaccines are trouble, aliens exist, chemtrails are things. everything was confirmed. and now everybody now knows it because some weirdo idiot from youtube told the world, and a giant UFO floated over the city. now what? where do you even go from that?

god, what a pile of sh-t episode

Carter said today that Fox wants more episodes, but Carter said it would be difficult to do in a timely fashion. So who knows what will actually happen. Either he's just lobbying for more money, or he's trying to buy time to figure out how to dig himself out of the mess he created

Oh, I completely agree. The concept of mystery, and the idea of conspiracy and believing is absolutely lost in this episode. The long term damage is more relevant than whether this episode itself was enjoyable or not.

As to how they could fix it; Honestly, I think it will largely involve ignoring it. The season will begin by addressing and completing it. The rest will have to find a way to ignore it. Some massive cop-out to get back to more contained monster of the week episodes. When I say I look forward to their next season, I mean that there's a lot of potential for more of episodes 2-4's quality. I've seen the good there, they've still got it. They just need to be careful about how they go forward.

I have no idea what I'd do to fix the main plot myself though.

On February 24, 2016 at 5:13 AM, GLASSJAW said:

the witch; 8/10

it's very difficult to even call this a horror movie. it's more of a really strange arthouse period drama. some people will find the content disturbing, most won't. some probably won't even be able to understand the dialogue lol

the language used is largely archaic. the natural lighting is nice. the atmosphere is great, as is the music. some bits of it i'm not entirely sure about (the ending). but overall i found it unnerving and well done.

i just read a book about the 17th century witch trials recently, so i found it interesting to see the paranoia and dishonesty played out so accurately

Worth the price of admission?

18 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

In Bruges - 8/10

Beautifully filmed Guy Ritchie like modern day gangster movie.

I'm surprised the cinematography was the thing that caught you. I only remember the shots in the playground scene catching my eye. Script was pure gold though. Wish Martin McDonagh had a few more films 

16 minutes ago, Spoderman said:

I'm surprised the cinematography was the thing that caught you. I only remember the shots in the playground scene catching my eye. Script was pure gold though. Wish Martin McDonagh had a few more films 

Yeah the script was pretty awesome. The night scenes at the outdoor bar towards the end are gorgeous; how the bell tower and street lights were lit was very nice.

belltower.jpg

belltower2.jpg

Edited by Hugor Hill

11 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Yeah the script was pretty awesome. The night scenes at the outdoor bar towards the end are gorgeous; how the bell tower and street lights were lit was very nice.

belltower.jpg

belltower2.jpg

Yeah, the scenery throughout that last act was great

It's been an hour since I turned off The Big Short due to motion sickness and finally feel okay again ... Still had 40 minutes left but I started sweating and knew I'd throw up if I kept watching. Bizarre way to end a movie that I was actually kind of enjoying. Carrell, Bale and Pitt were all really good ...
I've watched well over a thousand different movies and this has never happened before. Feel like getting mad at someone, but can't be bothered, haha. The director and cinematographer and editor can all go to hell I guess.

The Big Short - DNF due to illness/10

If anyone else here felt this way while watching it (or any other movie), tell me. I want to hear it.