The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Your point only makes Luongo's relative value higher. The fact that the lines between a top 20 and top 40 blueliner are blurry, whereas there aren't exactly 40 guys vying for the top 20 in goaltending only serves to undermine your concept of value - top 20 goaltenders are more rare than the deeper blueline pool. Advantage teams with actual top 20 goaltenders.

I guess you missed a huge part of my post but that is okay, so I am off by 1-2 years, still not as bad as Lu's that take him to 42

And I guess you don't care what other fans think about there teams trade value, but I will ask you this, who do you trust more to make an accurate determination of Luongo's value? Canucks fans (Non-Luongo haters) or fans around the league in other markets? Probably Canuck fans.

That's the way NYI and TOR fans would feel too, I think they have a much better grasp on what there players are worth than us.

How does it make his value higher, I said top 20 vs 20 I didn't say anything about top 40. My point was after about the top 15-20 the # of star goalies goes down, whereas for defensmen there are still plenty of top end defensemen.

If you think so then let's compare the value. Look beyond the top 20 in these two lists, even from 20-40 if you want, and tell me which list is more valuable.

Goalies: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640653

Defense: http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=640560

Due to chemistry they were on the 2nd line, Kesler is better than Burrows but Burrows is on the 1st line, does that mean he is better than Kesler? Malkin plays on Pittsburgh's 2nd line does that mean he is a 2nd liner?

In Philly they were top line players, and they are still regarded as that, but LA saw and we have seen with Stanley cup finalist, that most of them have 2 top line quality centers. That is something Dean Lombardi mentioned when they made the Richards deal.

LA: Kopitar, Richards, Carter

Boston: Krejci, Bergeron

Vancouver: Henrik, Kesler

Chicago: Toews, Sharp

Philly: Richards, Carter

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin

Detriot: Zetterberg, Datsyuk

A friendly reminder of those thinking we're doing the wrong thing by trading Luongo. Cam Ward was the backup to Martin Gerber for Carolina back in 2005-06, and he played only 28 games prior to the cup run, and the Hurricanes did win.

Antti Niemi (Remember him?) played only 39 games as backup to Christobal Huet, before winning a Stanley Cup.

So there is precedent for inexperienced goalies winning cups. A short season benefits Schneider as he can play 30-38 games and still be "fresh" for the playoffs. Shouldn't we trade Luongo and get the best value we can and keep our team competitive for the cup for a longer window?

A friendly reminder of those thinking we're doing the wrong thing by trading Luongo. Cam Ward was the backup to Martin Gerber for Carolina back in 2005-06, and he played only 28 games prior to the cup run, and the Hurricanes did win.

Antti Niemi (Remember him?) played only 39 games as backup to Christobal Huet, before winning a Stanley Cup.

So there is precedent for inexperienced goalies winning cups. A short season benefits Schneider as he can play 30-38 games and still be "fresh" for the playoffs. Shouldn't we trade Luongo and get the best value we can and keep our team competitive for the cup for a longer window?

Perfect examples what might be the season for the canucks. we were within 1 game of winning it all with much of the same players still here little older more experience if kassian can impress early on in the season(maybe with sedins) and our d has no injury and kesler comes back intime for playoffs while schoreder get some experience. with the lu trade i am expecting 2/3 line power forward and pickand/or high prospeck

sedins kassian

booth schroeder/lu trade player burrows

hansen lappy/schroeder higgins

lappy/? manny ?

u know our d is top 5 if not top3 and our goalies top3 with lu after lu top 5still if schnieder is good

i can challenge

to pitt

ballard

booth

raymond

luongo

7th round pick 2013and 2014

to van

crosby

malkin

letang

1st round pick for next 3drafts

I don't think he was. He knows Luongo's value, Schroeder's value as well as Ballard's. the rest of the league also has an adequate assessment of the value of all three players. Only Vancouver fans drag Luongo in the mud; they're just very pissed at the results of the past three years.

I see it as having lost to the eventual Cup winner.

Archived