The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

Nice to hear Garrison getting some positive comments from Nucks fans. He's been coming along nicely for some time now and will be continuing to adjust and improve his game. He's got a great shot and will be our goalies favourite Dman in the playoffs. I love how he keeps that net cleared.

• 2 weeks later...

Garrison with a PP goal tonight, his 5th goal on the year.

32GP 5G 3A = 8 points +9.....0.25 points per game pace

Over an 82 game season he is on pace for...

82GP 13G 8A = 21 points +23..... averaging 21:25 TOI

To reach his scoring level of last year's 33 points he would need to average 0.4 ppg, or 19 points on the season.

At last year's pace he would have 13 points up to the 32 games mark, meaning he is 5 points behind that target.

Garrison Magic Number: 11

Not convinced with the signing yet; in my opinion, he should be making about 1M less per year. Definitely not worth anything near 4.6M for 6 years that's for sure. He's not a very good skater nor does he have much hockey sense. On the positive, he's ok defensively and has a good shot (albeit not very accurate). Only time will tell, but I don't think he will live up to the contract.

Him and Hamhuis look really solid together. He's a good skater for a big guy, has decent hands and man o man that shot. Once he gets the accuracy dialed look out. Doing well on his off side as well. I think alot of that has to do with Hamhuis being a good partner as well.

I love how many of you are praising Garrison. I've watched this guy play in wins and losses this season, and he just looks lost on the ice sometimes. I can't count the numerous times I've seen Garrison trip over his own feet or lose his man in the defensive zone.

Yeah, moving to a new system, with a brand new team and teammates doesn't really allow for a speedy transition. That's why so many deadline acquisitions look terrible or 'lost' on teams. It's not easy in any sport to just switch everything around you and play well right off the bat.

Yet, he's managed to put up points and he's got a great +/-...two things you NEED to have to have a successful defensive corps. If you're going to criticize him for anything, it'd be his physical strength in his own end...and even that is right on par with everyone else we have back there.

Yeah, moving to a new system, with a brand new team and teammates doesn't really allow for a speedy transition. That's why so many deadline acquisitions look terrible or 'lost' on teams. It's not easy in any sport to just switch everything around you and play well right off the bat.

Yet, he's managed to put up points and he's got a great +/-...two things you NEED to have to have a successful defensive corps. If you're going to criticize him for anything, it'd be his physical strength in his own end...and even that is right on par with everyone else we have back there.

I agree with you - If he learnt how to use his big body - forwards would be scared to play against him.. it seems like he doesn't like to hit much... but come playoff time lets see him use that frame and crush some of those chicago players...

him and hamhuis are our new shutdown pairing and they look pretty solid to me so far! ..

signing is getting better and better - although he isn't worth the money yet .. but I'm sure he will be!..

excited for this guy!

Guest Pinchin

None of our D have been all that spry this season but Garrison is the least of my worries. New team, new system and coming off an injury. If you are overly judgmental of Garrison this season then you are just one of the glass half empty types. Garrison will be juuuuuuust fine. I hope Vinny decides to leave him on the #1 PP and puts Edler on the #2. Garrison and Edler should not play together on the PP, both need a puck moving partner.

Not convinced with the signing yet; in my opinion, he should be making about 1M less per year. Definitely not worth anything near 4.6M for 6 years that's for sure. He's not a very good skater nor does he have much hockey sense. On the positive, he's ok defensively and has a good shot (albeit not very accurate). Only time will tell, but I don't think he will live up to the contract.

:picard:

No concept of player values.

What's not to like?

The shutdown aspect of his game has been excellent - a big guy who is aggressive and has a very active stick.

Tops, +9, on the blueline.

+6.72 corsi, 9th on the Canucks.

Along with Hamhius and Bieksa, is facing the opposition's best.

He's on a 13 goal pace despite being 4th among Canucks defensemen in powerplay time with only 1 pp goal.

He's just starting to get comfortable here.

Agree with playboi 19 - Gillis does it again. Half the blueline are absolute steals that Gillis landed as UFAs.

Archived