The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Both Luongo and Schneider are Right-Handed Shot; Explains their poor puck handling skills?

Rbk

If you watched the Hardest Shot Competition during the Super Skills, then you might have noticed that both Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider shoots right handed. However, both of them catches with their left, which makes it extra hard when they want to handle the puck when they are in their goalie equipment. Some noteable goalies that shoots with right and catches left are Curtis Joseph and Dwayne Roloson. Every time they come out to handle the puck, they have to do an awkward switch or rotation of the stick to their natural handedness. So, does this explain why both our goalies are weak at puck handling, because both are right handed shots with a left glove?

Feb1013_superskills14_slide.jpg

I've known about Louie for a long time and was aware that it was a big part of his problem. I believe that he's been working on it with Rollie for the past few years. It makes sense that Schneids is a righty too.

Conversely, some of the best puck handlers amongst goaltenders have all been lefties. Brodeur, Turco, Hextall.....

Possibly. I shoot right, and anytime I played goalie in pick-up games or anything I always wore a glove on my right hand because it felt better to me. In hindsight, it helped me move the puck/ball a lot easier too.

Also, I'm impressed with Schneids ability to shoot in all that clunky gear...I bet he can shoot harder than some guys on the team :lol:

Not uncommon for goilies to be a right hand shot and catch left. You will notice though that both Lu and Cory dont swap over to a right handed Shooting position or a stupid Dwayne Roloson backhand shovel when they play the puck. Both have had to learn to shoot left handed, I went through the same thing growing up.

Completely untrue!!!!!! I was way better at playing the puck then most in my junior days... Although as a player i shoot right handed. The way I passed the puck was I turned my glove over and held my stick with my pinky towards the ice. Its just about finding what works. But as I said earlier that is no excuse!!

Archived