The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I might not be completely against it, although I think Ballard is a better playoff player than Franson, and if we keep Garrison on the right side (and I know this sounds crazy) that may actually leave us with one too many right side defenseman.

I'd like Logan Couture...It most likely will not be a direct trade with San Jose. So trading Luongo or Schneider for the highest return and then using that ammo to make the trade for Logan. Far to much focus is done on just strictly trading Luongo to a a set team, ie Florida, and getting the return player directly from that team. That really limits possible trade scenarios and limits returns also.

Not sure what you base this on - both have small playoff samples - Ballard 1point and -5 in 15 games, Franson 7points and +1 in 16 games.

The move may be somewhat lateral in the present, but there are a number of reasons I like Franson - he is an RFA that makes the cap drop easier to manage, he's also a young guy who is still improving, and with a third right handed blueliner, the balance in the top 6 is not only better, but in the event of an injury to one of our right side guys, as things stand, our 7 and 8 are also lefties, as is Vandermeer (and Connauton).

/ I'm almost at the point where I don't feel like discussing possibilities anymore. It's so academic at this point because the trades are about to come and they will be fast and furious.

/Then we can get back to discussing who won what deal and what could have been done better. You know, normal stuff.

The deal is obviously contingent on getting Logan. The first deal would not go through till there is an agreement in principle. Sharks list their price for Logan... We trade Goalie for maximum return to whoever for...eg..what the Sharks want..and package that with what else might be needed to make the deal.

Yes.. we might have to overpay... but I'd do it.

Can relate. At first it was a check in, check in, check in to see if anything has happened situation. And then... the proposals and the rebuttals, and the speculation and the undervaluing and the overvaluing, and the obsessing over what the return might be.

If I lose (the rest of) my mind, I'm gonna look back at 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 with regret, as having a large part in it...

Lol and there's been so many possibilities thrown around now that someone has to guess it right on the money.. One CDC poster is gonna come back with the biggest I told you so in canuck message board history, It's gonna be hilarious lol biggest bragging rights ever on these boards to the guy that guessed to luongo trade right Bahaha

Can relate. At first it was a check in, check in, check in to see if anything has happened situation. And then... the proposals and the rebuttals, and the speculation and the undervaluing and the overvaluing, and the obsessing over what the return might be.

If I lose (the rest of) my mind, I'm gonna look back at 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 with regret, as having a large part in it...

Just playing styles.

Ballard is more two-way, more reliable defensively and when on his game is a major contributior and someone who can play 20 minutes and slot into the top 4 easily.

I don't feel the same about Franson.

But it is interesting and something to think about.

Although who knows if Toronto would be on board, they already have Komisarek, Liles and Gardiner not playing, I would think if they were to move a defenseman they would look at getting a forward upgrade.

I had to laugh at the suggestion. Who in their right mind would trade Couture?

Ok, I'll go down the rabbit hole here....

The market for a guy like Miller could be great IMO. Since he's on an expiring contract it's a very different situation than we discuss for Lou/Schneider trades. A UFA Goalie acquisition at the deadline could be huge for a lot of teams. Strangely, most of the teams that I think would be in the race would be Eastern teams.

Assume for a second, and there's no need to discuss the return, but if Washington would consider a Kuznetsov for Miller deal the Sabres should take it. Philly also could offer an interesting option. As they don't have to make a definitive decision regarding their goaltending immediately, these teams buy themselves some time, squeeze under the cap, and potentially save an entire season. Throw Tampa in that mix too. I'm sure a throw-in back-up could be acquired from whatever deal Buffalo pulls from Miller.

If such were to happen, and Vancouver decides a Schneider deal is amenable, then I could see a Schneider, Ballard, + for Vanek and Ott, +. The salaries could work out and it would be an All-In move. A smaller deal for a RH d-man like Streit or Visnovsky, as we have frequently discussed, would put us in a much better situation.

Make it a crazy deal and get Myers too perhaps? If Edler does need to go to make a deal happen, argue as we would about it's wisdom, it would be a shake-up of the cores of both teams. It could happen and it might work out for both.

Consider, for a moment...

Sedins-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Vanek

Raymond-Ott-Hansen

Higgins-Lappy-Kassian

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler/Ballard-Streit/Visnovsky/Myers

Garrison-Tanev

Lou

They're both playing about 17 minutes a game - Ballard gets more pk time, Franson more pp time.

Franson's underlying numbers suggest that he's not actually a lesser two way player, although the upside of his game seems more apparent at this point.

I like Ballard a lot - the key factors being a 1.2 million RFA, and a right side guy who gives us better balance.

Alternatively, a depth right side guy with more of a shutdown role to replace/bump Barker down would also be welcome.

Sauve was on track to be that guy before his accident and was very solid in his short stints - it'd be nice if he regained his game in the ECHL Kalamazoo - his numbers there so far look pretty promising (8g, 15 pts in 22 g, team best +7).

Good points, and if they were offered that they should take it.

Really thought I don't know how soon Buffalo would jump into the market for a goaltender.

And that line-up looks great but it doesn't look great in the offseason when we are starring at Vaneks 7+ million dollar cap hit.

For me the only way I would trade Schneider is if a young player who is also an established player is coming back, that would in this case mean Myers I guess.

I don't think it is smart to go all in and trade whatever young assets we have for a guy like Vanek or Perry or whatever if they are made available too us, cause I don't think that guarentees us a cup, I'm still not confident in the coaching at all and we desperately need another center, I am also not sure what is going to happen with this defense core, I am fine with the personnel but we need to figure out pairs and what we are going to do.

I think the risk for us right now is higher than the potential reward in a risk/reward move, although you made good and interesting points on Miller.

He's asking you to name one or two.

/ I'm almost at the point where I don't feel like discussing possibilities anymore. It's so academic at this point because the trades are about to come and they will be fast and furious.

/Then we can get back to discussing who won what deal and what could have been done better. You know, normal stuff.

Lol and there's been so many possibilities thrown around now that someone has to guess it right on the money.. One CDC poster is gonna come back with the biggest I told you so in canuck message board history, It's gonna be hilarious lol biggest bragging rights ever on these boards to the guy that guessed to luongo trade right Bahaha

Archived