The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next yrs cap pickle!

ok next yr we are in a pickle we have 5 dmen slated to make 4.2 mill plus four of them being lefthanders. plus the following yr we will need to resign jannik hansen and zack kassian.

Heres my solution

Trade raymond seeing his trade value will be at a ll time hi value. Late first or early second.

Trade ballard for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounder wat ever u can get.

Trade bobby luo for a late first rounder a ufa 3rd line c and b prospect.

resign tanev higgis lapps to modest raises unless they want huge raisesthen trade them or package them with bobby or raymond.

Trade slow poke alberts for anything a east team will offer maybe some dumb team out east will give us a 3 rd seeing douglas murray got sharks two second rounders.

All these moves frees 13 mill in cap space but leaves most of core intact.

Trade for at deadline for a few ufa players a sniper jagr be amazing on a line with sedins. and a right handed dman this is tough and has a good outlet pass.

after playoffs we can trade or buyout booth or ballard if hes still here.

The four top four left hand dmen is our biggest problem in my eyes two of them should be traded i love garrison and hamhuis edler is a gem in trade value he could get us a nice player this summer hopefully

If we win the cup this yr sweet if not next yr we will be able to go after a bunch of free agents such as iginla. what do you all thing we should do trade 2left dmen and one goalie? do any of you have a solution to the problems

Sadly, this is more realistic because no team wants to take on money at all:

Trade Raymond - get a 2nd rounder if lucky, not getting a 1st rounder

Ballard - compliance buy-out

Luongo - waivers (sadly, but teams do not want that contract, they don't care about the opt out, they just care about the $$$$)

Trade Alberts - probably could get a 4th rounder or so

Booth - compliance buy-out

I agree, all the left handed defensemen is an issue, hopefully a swap can be made for a right handed one in a hockey trade with pretty even salary. But a lot of teams are going to want to shed contracts and only so many will actually want to pick up money. It's going to suck with what happens to Luongo. Some team will get lucky, but GM's are just waiting it out until Gillis HAS to get rid of it. There are teams out there that their season is being lost because of goaltending but they do not want that contract. Even though Luongo would be a solution to their biggest problem.

I mean nobody claimed Jussi Jokinen for crying out loud and he's, what, 3 and change for this year and next. There are going to be absolutely no takers for long term contracts unless your taking one back in return.

we arent really in that much trouble.

trade or buy-out Booth and Ballard and we can have a roster like this under the cap

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Mason Raymond ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)

Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Jim Vandermeer ($0.600m) / Cam Barker ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

OTHER

Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)

Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,946,944; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,353,056

then if we trade Lu we have another 5.3mill off the books so we can bring up Lack and have a cheap backup option. there's really no worries, unless you want to keep band aid Booth and bench warmer Ballard. And if our prospects dont work out we can get cheap depth defensemen and forwards

Edit: Luongos cap hit is reasonable for his skill level. a 5.3mill elite goalie is pretty good. he can be traded but if he doesnt get good value for him then Gillis is going to be fired. he already botched this situation with keeping both for so long and trading for Booth and Ballard. i think he should have been gone, the guy is digging this team a grave.

ok next yr we are in a pickle we have 5 dmen slated to make 4.2 mill plus four of them being lefthanders. plus the following yr we will need to resign jannik hansen and zack kassian.

Heres my solution

Trade raymond seeing his trade value will be at a ll time hi value. Late first or early second.

Trade ballard for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th rounder wat ever u can get.

Trade bobby luo for a late first rounder a ufa 3rd line c and b prospect.

resign tanev higgis lapps to modest raises unless they want huge raisesthen trade them or package them with bobby or raymond.

Trade slow poke alberts for anything a east team will offer maybe some dumb team out east will give us a 3 rd seeing douglas murray got sharks two second rounders.

All these moves frees 13 mill in cap space but leaves most of core intact.

Trade for at deadline for a few ufa players a sniper jagr be amazing on a line with sedins. and a right handed dman this is tough and has a good outlet pass.

after playoffs we can trade or buyout booth or ballard if hes still here.

The four top four left hand dmen is our biggest problem in my eyes two of them should be traded i love garrison and hamhuis edler is a gem in trade value he could get us a nice player this summer hopefully

If we win the cup this yr sweet if not next yr we will be able to go after a bunch of free agents such as iginla. what do you all thing we should do trade 2left dmen and one goalie? do any of you have a solution to the problems

mmm lotsa dumb teams in east that have tons of cap space nyi jets they have cap space and could use a player like booth raymond or ballard one of a the teams like that might cave and grab a player like ballard. dont get me wrong i like ballard but av hates him and hes not as good as garrison or hamhuis. Gillis has fracked himself by signing to many players with no movement clauses.

I really wouldnt mind going with garrison bieska ballard tanev as a top four and trade hamhuis and edler but they have ntc so what can you do.

• 2 weeks later...

we arent really in that much trouble.

trade or buy-out Booth and Ballard and we can have a roster like this under the cap

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Mason Raymond ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Tom Sestito ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.700m)

Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

Jim Vandermeer ($0.600m) / Cam Barker ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

OTHER

Buyout: David Booth ($0.000m)

Buyout: Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,946,944; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,353,056

then if we trade Lu we have another 5.3mill off the books so we can bring up Lack and have a cheap backup option. there's really no worries, unless you want to keep band aid Booth and bench warmer Ballard. And if our prospects dont work out we can get cheap depth defensemen and forwards

Edit: Luongos cap hit is reasonable for his skill level. a 5.3mill elite goalie is pretty good. he can be traded but if he doesnt get good value for him then Gillis is going to be fired. he already botched this situation with keeping both for so long and trading for Booth and Ballard. i think he should have been gone, the guy is digging this team a grave.

take out Luongo

put in lack 1.25

thats a savings of 4.08, plus our cap space of 1.3

= 5.38

is JS our answer to 3C...not convince

5.38 + 1.5 = 6.88 so spread this across 2 players or one elite player- Id go for one elite player...Iginla???? 5.3 x 3years??? and keep JS

Archived