The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roy is not a rental, Booth won't be bought out next year

VanGnome

It's not cap circumvention. Once bought out, it's the players decision if they want to re-sign or not, and since the Canucks aren't the team buying out Booth, they aren't restricted by the 1 year limit on re-signing bought out players.

The only reason this hasn't happened before (even with the previous CBA) is buyout cap hit's always counted against the teams cap hit, the amnesty buyouts erase that problem. There is also the fact of significant uncertainty, there's no guarantee the player will want to re-sign with you; it just gives the teams the same opportunity that 28 other teams would have to try and land that player's services.

"CAN YOU SHUT UP AND LET CDC BE HAPPY ABOUT SOMETHING FOR ONCE?"

It's my opinion and it has f-all to do with being happy or unhappy it's about objectivity. Do you see the guy in the picture with the trapper hat? Well that's me so how about every time you see it, you jog on...............

And maybe, just maybe every time you "new player pants wetters" suddenly got a shot of reality and assumed your more typical "CDC HATE MODE" I wouldn't have to spend so much time defending these same players.

It's not about being happy with most of you guys. It's more a child like "play station buzz" As soon as it passes you set about the same players like a pack of jackals. There is no mid ground with many of you.

I love Booth and what he brings to this team - lots of people don't understand that the way he plays isn't suited to the regular season, but the playoffs. His hard-nosed style of taking the puck hard to the net doesn't necessarily generate offence in the regular season which is far more wide open, but it will in the playoffs which is why we need him.

I hope Roy stays, hopefully he falls in love with Vancouver and signs for under 5M. Of course he's worth that (and more) - he essentially does everything Kesler did for this team in his Selke year, but scores more points.

However we have to move two of this team's biggest deadweights to get it done - that's Ballard and a goalie. Lack, Corrado and Gaunce are still a year or two away from any NHL action, so I'd like to see Lapierre re-signed. He's probably the best 4th line center in the NHL (apart from Jussi Jokinen who's going to end up there with Crosby back).

"CAN YOU SHUT UP AND LET CDC BE HAPPY ABOUT SOMETHING FOR ONCE?"

It's my opinion and it has f-all to do with being happy or unhappy it's about objectivity. Do you see the guy in the picture with the trapper hat? Well that's me so how about every time you see it, you jog on...............

And maybe, just maybe every time you "new player pants wetters" suddenly got a shot of reality and assumed your more typical "CDC HATE MODE" I wouldn't have to spend so much time defending these same players.

It's not about being happy with most of you guys. It's more a child like "play station buzz" As soon as it passes you set about the same players like a pack of jackals. There is no mid ground with many of you.

I love Booth and what he brings to this team - lots of people don't understand that the way he plays isn't suited to the regular season, but the playoffs. His hard-nosed style of taking the puck hard to the net doesn't necessarily generate offence in the regular season which is far more wide open, but it will in the playoffs which is why we need him.

I hope Roy stays, hopefully he falls in love with Vancouver and signs for under 5M. Of course he's worth that (and more) - he essentially does everything Kesler did for this team in his Selke year, but scores more points.

However we have to move two of this team's biggest deadweights to get it done - that's Ballard and a goalie. Lack, Corrado and Gaunce are still a year or two away from any NHL action, so I'd like to see Lapierre re-signed. He's probably the best 4th line center in the NHL (apart from Jussi Jokinen who's going to end up there with Crosby back).

Jensen and Gaunce probably have bonuses in their ELC. Tanev is getting more than 1.2. All his agent has to do is mention Garrison and Ballards contract. I like the idea of using all these young players on the team, but knowing this organization, they won't play full time until they're 25 because AV likes his team to be full of old farts that belong in a retirement home. But you're right about one thing, Booth won't be bought out next year; he'll be bought out this year. Not sure about Roy though. If he plays like crap he'll walk.

I think we will part with Booth, Ballard and Luongo.

IMO Booth and Ballard won't be bought out.

They're overpaid, but still have some value. (albeit not that much)

There are some really garbage teams out there that would take a chance on them.

On top of that, free agency is dried up, and overpriced anyways.

Some teams need to take salary on to reach the cap floor.

Wouldn't take much to get them, but they don't have ZERO value like some suggest.

Probably a late round pick.

So in all of the posts I have been reading on this board since Roy's acquisition about Roy being a rental, or we can't keep both Booth and Roy etc, etc I felt it prudent to centralize this specific discussion lest someone not see all the numbers line up.

Here goes:

Sedin (6.100) / Sedin (6.100) / Burrows (4.500) 16.700

Booth (4.250) / Roy (5.000) / Kesler (5.000) 14.250

Jensen (0.894) / Schroeder (1.025) / Kassian (0.870) 2.789

Higgins (2.500) / Gaunce (1.088) / Hansen (1.350) 4.938

Edler (5.000) / Tanev (1.200) 6.200

Hamhuis (4.500) / Bieksa (4.600) 9.100

Garrison (4.600) / Corrado (0.600) 5.200

Schneider (4.000)

Lack (0.750)

Cap Ceiling 2013-2014 = 64.300

Cap Hit 2013-2014 = 63.927

Remaining Cap Room: 0.373

The above assumes the following roster moves:

Player raises:

Pre-Negotiated

• Alexandre Burrows: 4.500 AAV

• Alexander Edler: 5.000 AAV

• Chris Higgins 2.500 AAV

Proposed

• Derek Roy: 5.000 AAV, Term 5 years (4.500 Year 1, 4.500 Year 2, 5.000 Year 3, 5.000 Year 4, 6.000 Year 5)

• Jordan Schroeder: 1.025 AAV, Term 3 years (100% salary match, RFA Qualification)

• Chris Tanev: 1.200 AAV, Term 3 years (1.00 Year 1, 1.200 Year 2, 1.400 Year 3)

Players on ELC:

• Nicklas Jensen

• Zack Kassian

• Brendan Gaunce

• Frank Corrado

Let walk as UFA:

• Mason Raymond

• Maxim Lapierre (or re-sign to a short 1-2 year contract worth what he's getting now if Gaunce is not ready)

Salary dumps for picks/prospects or amnesty buyouts:

• Roberto Luongo (5.330 AAV)

• Keith Ballard (4.250 AAV)

Gillis has a lot of flexibility when it comes to next season, I would be content with either of the following scenarios:

1. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, buyout Ballard

2. Cap dump Luongo to Florida for picks and prospects, cap dump Ballard for a late pick

3. Buyout Luongo and Ballard if no one bites at all

4. Keep Luongo, trade Schneider for an impact forward for the T6 with equal or less salary coming back (Schneider for Couturier + Picks), Cap dump/buyout Ballard

I don't believe that Gillis is willing to give up on Booth just yet, not when he's suffered exceedingly bad luck every time he appears to be rounding the corner and putting together a complete game.

I also highly doubt Gillis would have given up KConn and a 2nd in a good draft if he wasn't certain he would be able to re-sign Roy.

With all players healthy and playing to potential, this is a very scary, skilled roster from top to bottom.

Let me break it down to you: (and the other guy that didn't get it)

Vancouver trades Booth to Philadelphia in exchange for Danny Briere.

Vancouver buys out Briere. Philadelphia buys out Booth.

Vancouver signs Booth to a lower cap hit contract.

Philadelphia signs Briere to a lower cap hit contract.

Neither player actually moves from one team to the other, it's just a shuffle of contracts with a couple of amnesty buyouts and being re-signed by their "former" teams. It's kind of ingenious really.

Let me break it down to you: (and the other guy that didn't get it)

Vancouver trades Booth to Philadelphia in exchange for Danny Briere.

Vancouver buys out Briere. Philadelphia buys out Booth.

Vancouver signs Booth to a lower cap hit contract.

Philadelphia signs Briere to a lower cap hit contract.

Neither player actually moves from one team to the other, it's just a shuffle of contracts with a couple of amnesty buyouts and being re-signed by their "former" teams. It's kind of ingenious really.

Archived