The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Monday is always the worst. I finally have the work out itch again but monday still kills me sometimes.

Today I squat 200LBs for the 1st time in probably 5 years. I know it's light, not even my body weight, but this is a big milestone for me!

Love the simplicity behind the 5x5, can't believe I used to spin my tires trying my own creative workouts haha....just give me some compounds and the ability to add weight/reps and i'm happy.

I wish I had a dip attachment for my power rack but can't seem to find any sort of accessories or attachments, maybe the rack itself was recalled because it caused too many home workout deaths? maybe I should look in to that?

10 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Monday is always the worst. I finally have the work out itch again but monday still kills me sometimes.

Today I squat 200LBs for the 1st time in probably 5 years. I know it's light, not even my body weight, but this is a big milestone for me!

Love the simplicity behind the 5x5, can't believe I used to spin my tires trying my own creative workouts haha....just give me some compounds and the ability to add weight/reps and i'm happy.

I wish I had a dip attachment for my power rack but can't seem to find any sort of accessories or attachments, maybe the rack itself was recalled because it caused too many home workout deaths? maybe I should look in to that?

5x5, 6x4, etc. is all I ever did to hit my peaks. 

13 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

5x5, 6x4, etc. is all I ever did to hit my peaks. 

I like to use simple old school programs like those. (Ran Wendlers 5/3/1 boring but big for about 4 years!)

Made by people way smarter and stronger than I am!

52 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Allergies are kicking the $&!# out of me this week.

Totally lame visit to gym yesterday.

I hate times like this.

Ugghh...same with me. I find if I can actually get over that allergy hump, the exercise suppresses my allergies temporarily and provides a little relief. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, taxi said:

Ugghh...same with me. I find if I can actually get over that allergy hump, the exercise suppresses my allergies temporarily and provides a little relief. 

Playing hockey twice last night helped. Arena air much more agreeable  lol

On 5/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, diesel_3 said:

A lot of people over-complicate their programs/routines way too much. 

I've switched to having 2 compound lifts to start each workout [deadlift + dips, Bench + row, Squat + bench or row depending on which one is least sore lol) for 6 sets of 4-6 reps, followed by accessory work as needed. (incline db press, flat flys, cable flys on chest day; single arm rows, renegade rows, pull ups on back day; dumbbell lunges, light weight squat to calf raise, ham curls on leg days].

I'm done my workout in 30-45 minutes (I run 5km each morning with my dog before work, so I don't have to worry about cardio in the gym) and hit everything I need to. 

No need to spend hours in the gym.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I always just try changin up rep ranges.

During bulk was a lot of 5x5

During cut a lot of 2x5, 2x8-10

Thinking about switching my split for summer into two upper days and two lower days for the week. Try to hit each muscle group twice a week, rather than classic bro split.

I started running a month ago. Its getting easier and my endurance is slowly increasing but I am having a lot of problems with my legs and feet hurting. I know part of it is my shoes but I suspect its also due to not stretching enough or not doing the right stretches. I have been watching videos on youtube about building endurance and speed (I pretend I am running from zombies or dinosaurs:lol: so I want to increase both.)

But the stretching ones seem a bit advanced for a begginer. Any tips from other runners?

Edited by AppleJack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AppleJack said:

I started running a month ago. Its getting easier and my endurance is slowly increasing but I am having a lot of problems with my legs and feet hurting. I know part of it is my shoes but I suspect its also due to not stretching enough or not doing the right stretches. I have been watching videos on youtube about building endurance and speed (I pretend I am running from zombies or dinosaurs:lol: so I want to increase both.)

But the stretching ones seem a bit advanced for a begginer. Any tips from other runners?

I enjoy running.  At the gym, I will run for a min and then walk for a min, and then run for 2 mins, walk for 30 seconds, whatever I feel.  When running at the park, I run distances, then walk for 30 seconds to a min, and then run to another distance.

Have you tried Yoga?  I tried it for the first time in a while last week.  I am not flexible, and I have a lot of work in stretching my body, but it will get easier.  I plan on starting with it 1x a week, and then building to 2x a week or more.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brilac said:

I enjoy running.  At the gym, I will run for a min and then walk for a min, and then run for 2 mins, walk for 30 seconds, whatever I feel.  When running at the park, I run distances, then walk for 30 seconds to a min, and then run to another distance.

Have you tried Yoga?  I tried it for the first time in a while last week.  I am not flexible, and I have a lot of work in stretching my body, but it will get easier.  I plan on starting with it 1x a week, and then building to 2x a week or more.  

I did yoga in the past but found it very hard. I was thinking going to a few yoga drop in classes to be taught properly. 

I usually run for 5 mins then walk for a bit then run for 5 mins etc till I get to running for 30 mins.

I admit that today though I didnt walk inbetween running(except up hills) and Saturdays run was probably longer then it should have been(I was out for 2 hours total) but I did walk in between bouts of running.

I have been really pushing myself with endurance by trying to beat my best time of prolonged running. Today I did 10 mins without stoping. Stopped for a minute then ran for 5 mins and repeated the process until I had ran for 25 mins total. I then walked for awhile (up a hill) then ran for another 5 mins. Breathing wise I could have ran longer but my legs felt rubbery and like they  were going to buckle. I most likely have been pushing myself to hard and should take it easier.

I used to be a distance runner (I used run the 800 and 1500 and 3000 m races in track. I wasnt fast but i loved the thrill of pushing my body to it limits by running all three at meets) in highschool but that was 20 years ago and I am finding it frustrating that I cant even run 20 mins without stopping.

I keep reminding myself I am a out of shape old lady and not a althetic teenager. 

Now that I am running again i dont recall why I stopped.

Edited by AppleJack
  • Like 1

Seeing good results with 24mg ephedrine + 200mg caffeine in the morning at 6am before 4km run and 16mg ephedrine with 200mg caffeine at about 3PM and a weights workout at 5pm. 

It's more than enough for me, I don't know how guys do 25mg 3 times a day lol. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

13 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Can you provide a link to exercises you have watched on YouTube?

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Seeing good results with 24mg ephedrine + 200mg caffeine in the morning at 6am before rkm run and 16mg ephedrine with 200mg caffeine at about 3PM and a weights workout at 5pm. 

It's more than enough for me, I don't know how guys do 25mg 3 times a day lol. 

Hm, I should give it a shot. Trying to commit to the same morning run/evening weights routine to really get into shape. I lost 80lbs years ago since after high school and have maintained a fairly athletic physique, but trying to bring it to the next level by toning up and getting more definition.

2 minutes ago, Steve23 said:

Hm, I should give it a shot. Trying to commit to the same morning run/evening weights routine to really get into shape. I lost 80lbs years ago since after high school and have maintained a fairly athletic physique, but trying to bring it to the next level by toning up and getting more definition.

I enjoy it. 

Alarm at 5:50AM - get out of bed and take ephedrine and caffeine with water, change, get the dog's harness and leash on

6AM - run 4km 

Get home, shower, eat, sit down and watch sportscenter

Work 8-430

5-545 weights

6pm until bed free to do whatever.

I like it because it doesn't interfere with my life. I don't feel like I'm choosing between doing things with friends/family and working out, or giving up time at home to spend hours at the gym. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

Can you provide a link to exercises you have watched on YouTube?

I watch this one channel called the Run experince they have lots of videos. Some of them are more advanced but they have lots of neat information. 

I also downloaded the zombie run 5k app. I did the 1st story and work out 1 today and  it was a lot of fun. I also found it really helped forcing you to slowly build up your endurace. 

19 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

I watch this one channel called the Run experince they have lots of videos. Some of them are more advanced but they have lots of neat information. 

I also downloaded the zombie run 5k app. I did the 1st story and work out 1 today and  it was a lot of fun. I also found it really helped forcing you to slowly build up your endurace. 

I've been running for close to six years.  Started out 3-4 times per week.  In the alternate days I'd swim and have a day off.

i have been running everyday now for about six months.

stretching is key.  But like running, start out slowly with stretching.  Listen to your body as the cliche says.  Imo, minor injury and or some pain comes with running.  When this occurs have a rest and stretch.  Drink lots of water.

try to vary the terrain and distances in your runs.  It's important to use all the muscles. So run some uphill, downhill as well as the flats and if you  can get in a trail go for it. The ever changing terrain is fun, keeps your mind engaged, and really works the stabilizers.

dont cheap out on shoes. Get help with the right fit.

good luck.

Edited by riffraff

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

I've been running for close to six years.  Started out 3-4 times per week.  In the alternate days I'd swim and have a day off.

i have been running everyday now for about six months.

stretching is key.  But like running, start out slowly with stretching.  Listen to your body as the cliche says.  Imo, minor injury and or some pain comes with running.  When this occurs have a rest and stretch.  Drink lots of water.

try to vary the terrain and distances in your runs.  It's important to use all the muscles. So run some uphill, downhill as well as the flats and if you  can get in a trail go for it. The ever changing terrain is fun, keeps your mind engaged, and really works the stabilizers.

dont cheap out on shoes. Get help with the right fit.

good luck.

I am currently running about 3  times a week and walk a lot as well. ( I did take  a week off due to blisters ) but I may push it to 5 days this week as I am feeling great and not as sore as I have been in previous weeks or even two days ago. The extra stretching before and after my runs as well as a 5 minute warm up has really helped.

Right now I am currently only running at Queens park but do try to switch it up a bit by switching between the walking path and the dog trails. I tend to run the smaller hills but will walk up the big ones. I know I am not ready for the big hills just yet and don't want to push my body too much. I downloaded the zombie run app yesterday and did a mission and work out today as it was so much fun. I try to change up my playlists up as well..

I am currently only working part time right now as soon as I find another gig I plan to buy good quality running shoes as I know part of my issue is my shoes. My Best friend gave me a pair of hers but they don't really fit right and were the reason I got a horrible blister. I don't plan on using them and will return them to her.

Thank you.

• Cheers 1