The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's pretty hard.

Best 10k time I had was a SunRun in Vancouver. Just under 53mins if I remember correctly. I was puking a bit after that run. 

It used to happen when I sparred Muay Thai too. A buddy had keys to an MMA gym and we would use their ring. He was training for upcoming fights and I was his punching bag. The washroom was about ten ft away from the ring. More than once I would roll under the ropes, run to the bathroom, puke, and be back to start the next round.

It's weird how much I miss those tough sessions. 

53 minutes is really good.

I have a love hate relationship with tough workout sessions. In the middle of them everything hurts and they suck, but afterwards you feel like a million dollars. Being in good shape, and looking great because of those hard workouts goes a long way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Tried to run a sub 50 10k. Was in pace but had to stop around the 37 minute mark, thought I was gonna puke :lol:

5 to 10 kms is a big jump. IMO you're doing it the right way though. Adding distance onto an existing pace is easier than cutting time from existing distance. If you have a sub 25 minutes 5 km, add on 500m-1km at a time. Only move up when it feels comfortable. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, taxi said:

5 to 10 kms is a big jump. IMO you're doing it the right way though. Adding distance onto an existing pace is easier than cutting time from existing distance. If you have a sub 25 minutes 5 km, add on 500m-1km at a time. Only move up when it feels comfortable. 

I always feel like I have more to give at the end of my 5k runs. At my current pace I can get around 7-8k comfortably. By the end of the month I'm hoping to have a slightly quicker 5k pace and hit my sub 50 10k.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BoKnows said:

53 minutes is really good.

I have a love hate relationship with tough workout sessions. In the middle of them everything hurts and they suck, but afterwards you feel like a million dollars. Being in good shape, and looking great because of those hard workouts goes a long way.

I used to work with an ex Olympian marathon runner.

He said wind sprints are the way to go to increase speed in general. I have never done them enough, so I am finally going to listen and try to put one of my run days dedicated to them, 

Yeah, I too have a love hate relationship with tough work outs. So much easier if you have a partner to push you. Your ego gets involved etc so you try harder. 

And you're right, afterwards you have a great sense of accomplishment. 

3 hours ago, BoKnows said:

A554C92D-617B-465B-B767-7F67419EB788.jpeg

That's sick my friend.

I did my 10km this weekend in just under 61mins.

It was a really good time as the route has 6 decent hills. If it was flat I could shave quite a bit. 

We're gonna get that sub 50 10km this year Bo. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That's sick my friend.

I did my 10km this weekend in just under 61mins.

It was a really good time as the route has 6 decent hills. If it was flat I could shave quite a bit. 

We're gonna get that sub 50 10km this year Bo. 

Thanks!

That's a solid time, hills are killer. I wonder if running with hills will increase your treadmill pace?

I'm aiming for a sub 50 10km before I head off to Cancun in May.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BoKnows said:

Thanks!

That's a solid time, hills are killer. I wonder if running with hills will increase your treadmill pace?

I'm aiming for a sub 50 10km before I head off to Cancun in May.

You've got me motivated. I've been running like I'm a Sunday driver lately. Time to push the pace.

• Cheers 1

sounds cool. I also want to start running in the morning. I have already bought new gadgets for exercising at Everest online store. There are all outdoor gear at competitive price. So convy. I joined caliber membership to get early bird info about sales and ordered all stuff at good price.

Edited by WilliG

• 3 weeks later...

Finally hitting new PRs on the squat again. 365 lbs, and it felt somewhat easy (may have had another 10lbs in me). The forced covid break during gym closures may have been good for me. I've also noticed that my waist has actually started shrinking again. Not sure important but the improved aesthetics are nice.

If things keep progressing I should be at 4 plates (405 lbs) in about 4 months time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

@BoKnows  @bishopshodan

How's the running coming along? I'm loving the goals you're setting for yourselves.

I just finished a half this morning. Been training for it since Feb, but I was derailed for 3 weeks in April with Covid. My goal was to run a sub 2 hour and I ended up at 1:52:09 so I'm very happy with that.

Next on the agenda is a sub 25 minute 5k and sub 50 minute 10k.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, babych said:

@BoKnows  @bishopshodan

How's the running coming along? I'm loving the goals you're setting for yourselves.

I just finished a half this morning. Been training for it since Feb, but I was derailed for 3 weeks in April with Covid. My goal was to run a sub 2 hour and I ended up at 1:52:09 so I'm very happy with that.

Next on the agenda is a sub 25 minute 5k and sub 50 minute 10k.

Way to go man. That's great. I have never done a half, but will try one day. 

I hit a 58+min 10k a couple weeks back on my outside run which has some good hills so I was happy with that.

I have been upping my 5k treadmill runs at the gym, starting to get in the 27+min range.

I'm enjoying the path and not pushing too hard too fast, but I will get there. Been weight training a lot but will start adding some more cardio as the summer months come. Being a bit leaner/lighter should help with my run goals. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Way to go man. That's great. I have never done a half, but will try one day. 

I hit a 58+min 10k a couple weeks back on my outside run which has some good hills so I was happy with that.

I have been upping my 5k treadmill runs at the gym, starting to get in the 27+min range.

I'm enjoying the path and not pushing too hard too fast, but I will get there. Been weight training a lot but will start adding some more cardio as the summer months come. Being a bit leaner/lighter should help with my run goals. 

Fuel your Mind 

You Can't Hurt Me 

One of the best motivational/ life stories I have ever read.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay.  Old Alf made a serious commitment four weeks ago to put in a 10k 4 times each week.  Other than running over a few toes a couple times, I’m not seeing any benefits from these long scooter rides.  Maybe if I put a couple 5 pound weights (empties filled up with sand)  in the little basket?  Was it Richard Simmons who said carrying a couple smaller weights during longer outings could make for faster improvement?  Maybe if I did half up hill?  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay.  Old Alf made a serious commitment four weeks ago to put in a 10k 4 times each week.  Other than running over a few toes a couple times, I’m not seeing any benefits from these long scooter rides.  Maybe if I put a couple 5 pound weights (empties filled up with sand)  in the little basket?  Was it Richard Simmons who said carrying a couple smaller weights during longer outings could make for faster improvement?  Maybe if I did half up hill?  

My cardio is running late. 

• Haha 3