The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I can't find a picture but he was pretty dam ripped. Like veins on his abs. He was definitely <10

I've seen pictures. I'd say around 8%. The difference between 5 and 8% aesthetically is pretty massive though. 5% is the kind of body fat that is not really maintainable without serious drugs and dehydration techniques. Models will drop to those lows for photo shoots, but no one can maintain that.

12 minutes ago, taxi said:

I've seen pictures. I'd say around 8%. The difference between 5 and 8% aesthetically is pretty massive though. 5% is the kind of body fat that is not really maintainable without serious drugs and dehydration techniques. Models will drop to those lows for photo shoots, but no one can maintain that.

Maybe Evander was tryna look extra good for the pictures he knew would be taken? Strikes me as that kind of guy lol

3 hours ago, taxi said:

Those measurements are never accurate. Not a chance he was that low, unless he was juicing. At those kind of levels you get seriously negative affects to your ability to perform sports. You would also be visibly a lot more ripped than E. Kane looks.

It should however, be taken into account that the professional sports off-season drug testing is a sham. So it's possible he rolled into a camp coming off a cycle at a very low BF percentage. There is no way, however, that he competed in the NHL for the entire year at 5% body fat and was natural. Looking at current pictures, you can see in his face, that he is nowhere near 5%. At those levels, you begin to see veins visibly sticking out of the neck and going into the jaw.

Same with Seguin, claimed he was 3%. Probably wasn't lying, just got an inaccurate reading.  3% would be freakish.

25 minutes ago, etsen3 said:

Same with Seguin, claimed he was 3%. Probably wasn't lying, just got an inaccurate reading.  3% would be freakish.

That came from a sports illustrated article. It was definitely not right. I'm not sure if it's even possible to attain 3% body fat, and if it is that would be the kind of thing body builders do for only a few hours at a time. The leanest body builder ever was Andreas Munzer, who might have reached that 3% mark...he also used every drug imaginable and died of multiple organ failures at age 31:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_M%C3%BCnzer

During his autopsy they found almost no body fat beneath this skin...also various tumours and ruptured organs. So yeah, Tyler Seguin was not maintaining 3% body fat.

10 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

to me, you'd almost have to be mentally ill to want to look like that.

There is a lot of evidence for the notion that guys who do steroids have the same mental illness as women with eating disorders, only the body ideal is different.

• Upvote 1

Shoulders & Triceps day!

3 sets of lateral delt raises 10-12 reps (made a small adjustment & absolutely crushed the medial head)

3 sets of front delt raises 10-12 reps

3 sets of seated overhead tricep extensions 10-12 reps

4 drop sets of tricep pulldowns 8-10 reps, super set with 4 sets of overhead tricep cable extensions

3 sets of seated shoulder press 8-10 reps

3 sets of external shoulder rotations 10-12 reps (no resistance, just the movement)

16 minutes of cardio on the bike, in & out of the guym in 45 minutes

Best song of the workout

Edited by falcon45ca

18 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

"

Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
Interesting tidbit on #Flames prospect Oliver Kylington — he's added nearly 10 lb. of muscle to his 6-foot frame in first season in AHL
__________________"

2 months 10lbs of muscle while playing hockey? Is 18 year old testosterone really that high? 

Hmm...it's honestly possible. When people add 10 lbs of muscle, they usually add a few pounds of fat. We typically talk about just adding "mass". In my first few months of working out, I definitely added 10 lbs of mass to a 5'8'' frame, and I did not have the help of professional trainers. It can be done.

2 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

"

Wes Gilbertson @SUNGilbertson
Interesting tidbit on #Flames prospect Oliver Kylington — he's added nearly 10 lb. of muscle to his 6-foot frame in first season in AHL
__________________"

2 months 10lbs of muscle while playing hockey? Is 18 year old testosterone really that high? 

How much of that is just from growing and maturing naturally? He's only 18, likely his body isn't finished developing 

On December 1, 2015 at 4:39:28 PM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

1995_arnold_classic_review_b1216139758.j

to me, you'd almost have to be mentally ill to want to look like that.

Always funny to me how the head and face look so out of place on the body.  It's the only marginally altered part of the anatomy in male bodybuilders.

now women on the other hand. Wow. They face get nasty!

15 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

Shoulders & Triceps day!

3 sets of lateral delt raises 10-12 reps (made a small adjustment & absolutely crushed the medial head)

3 sets of front delt raises 10-12 reps

3 sets of seated overhead tricep extensions 10-12 reps

4 drop sets of tricep pulldowns 8-10 reps, super set with 4 sets of overhead tricep cable extensions

3 sets of seated shoulder press 8-10 reps

3 sets of external shoulder rotations 10-12 reps (no resistance, just the movement)

16 minutes of cardio on the bike, in & out of the guym in 45 minutes

Best song of the workout

I used to do 7-10 exercises too.

Took some advice from a 30 year gym going OG recently. Switched to about 3-5 exercises with 5 sets per exercise. Definitely noticing improvements with this approach. 

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Took some advice from a 30 year gym going OG recently. Switched to about 3-5 exercises with 5 sets per exercise. Definitely noticing improvements with this approach. 

I switch it up fairly often from less exercises/more sets to more exercises/less sets. A lot depends on how I'm feeling that day energy wise, how busy the guym is, & what my routine has been lately. For instance there's days where my arm/chest routine consists of bench, wide grip barbell curls, & preacher curls for 5-8 sets, other times I'm doing 3 chest & 3 bicep exercises for 3-4 sets.

I keep the cardio the same, but at a relative intensity keeping my heart rate in the 140's. Sometimes less resistance keeps my heart rate there, sometimes more. 

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Everyone is different. What any individual needs is dependent on their specific physiological and genetic makeup. Things like natural lung capacity, fast twitch fibers, length of muscles, tendon strength, etc... will all dictate what works best for you. The only way to tell is to experiment and gain experience.