The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Can you explain this further? 

I think genetically I'm prone to carry fat around my midsection...a couple years ago when I was still playing baseball, our trainer would do our body comp every couple months (skin folds, but that still gives you a pretty good idea) and I'd never be above 9% but never had a true 6 pack. I had a toned stomach, but not abs. 

Everybody reacts to hormones differently. Hence why some women look like Kim Kardashian when they get fat and others just get huge bellies. Generally, though estrogen will make you put on fat in your hips/legs. Testosterone will make you store fat in your belly. There are a variety of other hormones that will influence this.

Also you likely were not sub-10% bf if you did not have a six pack.....or at least serious ab definition. Not everyone can get a six pack, but anywhere near sub-10% you are going to have serious ab definition. By this I mean some people only ever get a 4 pack or a 2 pack and the rest is more of a wall of muscle. A good example is golden age Arnie, he has a 4 pack and then the bottom abs are just a solid piece (a 5 pack?). You can still see the vertical line all the way down as his bf is really low (and obviously drug induced):

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Young-Photos-29-22

The truth is it's extremely hard to maintain sub-10% BF without drugs. It can also be very unhealthy. At sub 8% you start to see seriously negative health effects. At about 6% or lower you start to have life threatening side effects.

Drugs have been so prevalent in sports and modelling that they have really skewed our ideas of what is attainable naturally. 

20 minutes ago, taxi said:

Everybody reacts to hormones differently. Hence why some women look like Kim Kardashian when they get fat and others just get huge bellies. Generally, though estrogen will make you put on fat in your hips/legs. Testosterone will make you store fat in your belly. There are a variety of other hormones that will influence this.

Also you likely were not sub-10% bf if you did not have a six pack.....or at least serious ab definition. Not everyone can get a six pack, but anywhere near sub-10% you are going to have serious ab definition. By this I mean some people only ever get a 4 pack or a 2 pack and the rest is more of a wall of muscle. A good example is golden age Arnie, he has a 4 pack and then the bottom abs are just a solid piece (a 5 pack?). You can still see the vertical line all the way down as his bf is really low (and obviously drug induced):

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Young-Photos-29-22

The truth is it's extremely hard to maintain sub-10% BF without drugs. It can also be very unhealthy. At sub 8% you start to see seriously negative health effects. At about 6% or lower you start to have life threatening side effects.

Drugs have been so prevalent in sports and modelling that they have really skewed our ideas of what is attainable naturally. 

Yeah, I figured it wasn't totally accurate as skin folds aren't the best method for BF testing but I thought I was probably around 12%. I had veins in my quads and biceps as well as shoulder striations so I figured it was pretty low...the only part of my body that really provided a skin fold was my stomach. To be fair I've never really done any sort of cutting, just health conscious eating.

Interesting about testosterone making men prone to belly fat...I always thought it was the reverse, that our higher testosterone kept us leaner in the midsection.

On 02/05/2013 at 1:47 AM, VoiceOfReason_ said:
20 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, I figured it wasn't totally accurate as skin folds aren't the best method for BF testing but I thought I was probably around 12%. I had veins in my quads and biceps as well as shoulder striations so I figured it was pretty low...the only part of my body that really provided a skin fold was my stomach. To be fair I've never really done any sort of cutting, just health conscious eating.

Interesting about testosterone making men prone to belly fat...I always thought it was the reverse, that our higher testosterone kept us leaner in the midsectionmidsectio

21 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Interesting about testosterone making men prone to belly fat...I always thought it was the reverse, that our higher testosterone kept us leaner in the midsection.

Testosterone will keep you leaner and muscular. It only does so much though. If you have excess calories beyond that, it will generally encourage your body to create fat stores in the belly.

Just now, taxi said:

Testosterone will keep you leaner and muscular. It only does so much though. If you have excess calories beyond that, it will generally encourage your body to create fat stores in the belly.

What would be an acceptable caloric intake for a 22/23 year old male who works construction as well as works out a few times a week? I'm 6"2, 200 pounds and fairly lean as is but could definitely lean out further.

9 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

What would be an acceptable caloric intake for a 22/23 year old male who works construction as well as works out a few times a week? I'm 6"2, 200 pounds and fairly lean as is but could definitely lean out further.

Everyone is different. Trial and error is the only solution.

I wouldn't try and lean out unless you have a good muscle base first though.

9 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'm 5'11 195-200lbs on a 2500cal intake. 5 day split with 20min cardio after each lift at a steady 135bpm. 

I'm starting to lean out and eventually plan to cut some calories when I see my weight loss stall. Once my weight loss stalls again, I'll likely increase intensity of my cardio. 

10 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I'm turning 40 in may. Construction since I was your age. 6-1, 200.

i don't worry about calories too

much. To be honest I try and eat all day.  Helps keep the energy up as I workout 4-5 days per week.  However now my workouts are all cardio.  Swimming and running and one leg day.  

I I stopped lifting totally about three years ago and haven't lifted on an every day basis since I was 28.

if you intend to remain in construction I highly suggest that you stretch, stretch, and stretch some more.  Take care of those rotator cuffs.  Be aware of your posture always.  Trust me.  Tons of gym guys and those that work construction or totally overbuilt in the chest and shoulders which pulls your shoulders forward and curves your back. Not a good look and will cause injury over time.

I stopped lifting because by 28 I was surfing slot and my range of motion and mobility wasn't very good due to the heavy lifts and it affected my balance and paddle power/endurance.  Strong as can be but no good to me out there.

anyways my point is mostly that if you're going to be a career tradesman it may require a different approach to the gym routine.

Update on AF:

Due to schedule change, I was waking up at 7am rather than 4:45am the last week. So this meant I didn't have to 'break' my fast at 8/8:30 with my bulletproof coffee and could actually fast from 8pm-noon.

7am: wake up, BCAA's, go to the gym 

Noon: meat (chicken or turkey) with mixed green veggies (spinach, broccoli, peas), half avocado, sipped on my bulletproof coffee following eating

3:30-ish: snack on almonds

630/7pm: meat (chicken or salmon), mixed green veggies, 2-3 mini potatoes that were boiled, half avocado 

8pm: 2 tbsp natural peanut butter and banana 

You may wonder "wait, aren't those 2-3 mini potatoes with dinner adding some higher glycemic carbs" - yes, you'd be right, but still being new to 16 hour fasting I need those carbs (in addition to carbs from veggies and fruits) somewhere and I found that it was too much to have them with my lunch since I was also having my coffee. 

Continuing to lean out progressively, so, so far, nothing bad to say about anabolic fasting besides that it seems to be working. 

Lifts haven't gone down, and some have even gone up slightly in 2.5 weeks. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Update on AF:

Due to schedule change, I was waking up at 7am rather than 4:45am the last week. So this meant I didn't have to 'break' my fast at 8/8:30 with my bulletproof coffee and could actually fast from 8pm-noon.

Noon: meat (chicken or turkey) with mixed green veggies (spinach, broccoli, peas), half avocado, sipped on my bulletproof coffee following eating

630/7pm: meat (chicken or salmon), mixed green veggies, 2-3 mini potatoes that were boiled, half avocado 

You may wonder "wait, aren't those 2-3 mini potatoes with dinner adding some higher glycemic carbs" - yes, you'd be right, but still being new to 16 hour fasting I need those carbs (in addition to carbs from veggies and fruits) somewhere and I found that it was too much to have them with my lunch since I was also having my coffee. 

Continuing to lean out progressively, so, so far, nothing bad to say about anabolic fasting besides that it seems to be working. 

I applaud your commitment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Update on AF:

Sounds to me like you're only getting about 1200 calories a day. Are you doing this everyday of the week? or is this just what you do a few days a week as part of a cycle?

18 hours ago, taxi said:

Sounds to me like you're only getting about 1200 calories a day. Are you doing this everyday of the week? or is this just what you do a few days a week as part of a cycle?

Non carb isolate protein shake at 140 cals x 2 per day 

1tbsp of XCT oil in my coffee -  130 cals

1tbsp grass fed butter in coffee - 60 cals

Half cup almonds - 412 cals

Banana - 89 cals

Peanut butter - 200 cals 

So not including my 2 main meals (lunch and dinner) and only including my protein shakes, snack, coffee and late night carb spike, I'm at 1171 cals. 

I eat a total of 1 avocado a day (half with lunch half with dinner) which is another 160 cals. 

Not sure what my meats and vegetables will bring the total calorie count to but I think it'll be in the 1600-1800 cals per day range including everything. 

And of course my 2 cheat dinners per week (Friday and Saturday night) will bring my Friday and Saturday totals to over 2000 lol. 

I don't meant to come off as snarky, so please don't take it that way, I never actually thought about the calories so just now I ran around the kitchen with the Canucks app open and typed the above out as I found the food labels in my kitchen lol. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Non carb isolate protein shake at 140 cals x 2 per day 

1tbsp of XCT oil in my coffee -  130 cals

1tbsp grass fed butter in coffee - 60 cals

Half cup almonds - 412 cals

Banana - 89 cals

Peanut butter - 200 cals 

So not including my 2 main meals (lunch and dinner) and only including my protein shakes, snack, coffee and late night carb spike, I'm at 1171 cals. 

I eat a total of 1 avocado a day (half with lunch half with dinner) which is another 160 cals. 

Not sure what my meats and vegetables will bring the total calorie count to but I think it'll be in the 1600-1800 cals per day range including everything. 

And of course my 2 cheat dinners per week (Friday and Saturday night) will bring my Friday and Saturday totals to over 2000 lol. 

I don't meant to come off as snarky, so please don't take it that way, I never actually thought about the calories so just now I ran around the kitchen with the Canucks app open and typed the above out as I found the food labels in my kitchen lol. 

Your probably snarky, because you're hungry...:)

j/k I'm actually trying to gain 20lbs. Put on about 10 so far. So about halfway there. Getting gains in all lifts and staying relatively lean. I had previously been cutting. When you cut, you have less nutrients in the muscles and they look smaller and more deflated. The calorie surplus instantly made them fill up (mostly with water). The aesthetic reward was nice though. 

I'm having to eat 6-7 meals a day. Usually 4 sandwhiches (chicken or tuna mostly), a bunch of eggs, full milk, etc...Other than bread, I'm not really eating too much junk. The occasional burger.

My plan is to keep bulking for a couple months then cut about 5lbs, and then move into a lean bulk that will hopefully burn off the remaining fat. I find about 20lbs is usually the most I ever go with a bulk. I'm only 5'7'' though, so it's a lot of weight on my frame. 

18 hours ago, taxi said:

Your probably snarky, because you're hungry...:)

j/k I'm actually trying to gain 20lbs. Put on about 10 so far. So about halfway there. Getting gains in all lifts and staying relatively lean. I had previously been cutting. When you cut, you have less nutrients in the muscles and they look smaller and more deflated. The calorie surplus instantly made them fill up (mostly with water). The aesthetic reward was nice though. 

I'm having to eat 6-7 meals a day. Usually 4 sandwhiches (chicken or tuna mostly), a bunch of eggs, full milk, etc...Other than bread, I'm not really eating too much junk. The occasional burger.

My plan is to keep bulking for a couple months then cut about 5lbs, and then move into a lean bulk that will hopefully burn off the remaining fat. I find about 20lbs is usually the most I ever go with a bulk. I'm only 5'7'' though, so it's a lot of weight on my frame. 

Haha probably ... though in all honesty, the only time I find myself getting hungry is around 4pm now. 

I wish I was on a bulk like you .. 4 sandwiches a day sounds amazing. They just opened a Chipotle like 5 minutes from my house too :lol: What do you weigh at 5'7? 

Just now, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

I don't know why but whenever I'm eating a large pizza and chicken wings I have to come in this thread after and laugh

so you're carb loading, and protein building.  Totally awesome man.  That's the best way to build serious bulk. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

I don't know why but whenever I'm eating a large pizza and chicken wings I have to come in this thread after and laugh

Just a pizza and wings?  Amateur. 

My last Saturday night was 3 rolls of sushi, medium chocolate extreme blizzard from DQ, a lamb donair and like 10 chicken strips smothered in plum sauce. ;)