The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

18 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Not really. You mean mountain climbers where you start in a plank and take your knee up to your elbow right? For this exercise your body remains in the same position, you just slide your feet backwards maybe 12-18 inches and then back up.

What I meant to say is it works your body similarly. Correct me if I am wrong :)

If they are harder I will stay away from them as I only do pansy-ass mountain climbers right now. :lol: 

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

What I meant to say is it works your body similarly. Correct me if I am wrong :)

If they are harder I will stay away from them as I only do pansy-ass mountain climbers right now. :lol: 

Ah ok, that makes sense then. Yeah they're pretty tough but it's s great exercise if you're looking to try something new. The first time I did them I could barely laugh, cough, or sneeze the next day my abs were so sore.

48 minutes ago, taxi said:

Most vegetables have no carbs, at least not ones that humans are capable of digesting.

half cup of green beans = 7g carbs

half cup of carrots = 10g carbs

half cup of broccoli = 7g carbs

half cup of peas = 14g carbs

half cup of avocado = 9g carbs (if you consider avo a vegetable)

half cup of kale = 9g carbs

half cup of green peppers = 5g carbs

Don't know about you, but I can digest those vegetables. 

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

half cup of green beans = 7g carbs

half cup of carrots = 10g carbs

half cup of broccoli = 7g carbs

half cup of peas = 14g carbs

half cup of avocado = 9g carbs (if you consider avo a vegetable)

half cup of kale = 9g carbs

half cup of green peppers = 5g carbs

Don't know about you, but I can digest those vegetables. 

Most of those aren't vegetables.

Peas, green peppers, avocado, and green beans contain seeds. That should tip you off automatically to the fact you are probably dealing with a fruit or legume.

Your carb counts for the broccoli is high. A half cup of broccoli should have more like 3g.

54 minutes ago, taxi said:

Most of those aren't vegetables.

Peas, green peppers, avocado, and green beans contain seeds. That should tip you off automatically to the fact you are probably dealing with a fruit or legume.

Your carb counts for the broccoli is high. A half cup of broccoli should have more like 3g.

Got the carbohydrate contents from US department of agriculture. 

Technically they're legume's/fruits, but to most people when they say eat 'vegetables' they'd include those things. Such as tomato's being considered vegetables by the majority of people, though it's technically a fruit and ketchup should be a smoothie!

Technically they're legume's/fruits, but to most people when they say eat 'vegetables' they'd include those things. Such as tomato's being considered vegetables by the majority of people, though it's technically a fruit and ketchup should be a smoothie!

It's not? :huh:

20 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I know I'm being picky, but for the purpose of macros, it's important to properly classify foods. A tomato and other fruits are perceived differently by people. But for the purpose of nutrition, their biological classification is far more important.

5 hours ago, taxi said:

I know I'm being picky, but for the purpose of macros, it's important to properly classify foods. A tomato and other fruits are perceived differently by people. But for the purpose of nutrition, their biological classification is far more important.

Fair enough, I've just never been as nitpicky to the point of counting macros. Even when I was playing a high level of hockey, it was just being generally aware of my ratios (ie. "Okay, I'm having a potato with dinner which has this much of this, so the rest of my meal should have 2x of this, and 1/2 of this) so I've always just generalized all the listed above food items as vegetables.

Plus they're all in Walmart's frozen mixed vegetables bag ::D

22 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's pretty much as simple as taking more in than you burn. And steadily increase it over time. And eat "good" things too for obvious reasons such as they're better for you overall and you won't feel like a sluggish turd like Jagr looked on the Isles GWG tonight.

Should you eat heavy carbs like rice, bread, pasta, etc..?

I need some help. I've been doing incline bench press(with dumbbells) and it has been going well, except I'm struggling with my first push. Does anyone have a way to help increase explosiveness on the first push because right now i just have to grind through it and it's affecting my endurance.

On 4/19/2016 at 8:07 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

I try not to every single day. I think brown rice and pasta is better for you though, which I do over bleached white flour, white rice, etc. Added preservatives in bleached stuff, more refined, etc.

White rice is not bleached. It's the exact same as brown rice, but they remove more parts of the seed, specifically the bran. White rice is more calorie dense, as the bran is largely made of fibre which cannot be digested. So depending on nutritional needs, that can make it better/worse for you.

On April 26, 2016 at 6:52 PM, Gyllenhaal said:

I need some help. I've been doing incline bench press(with dumbbells) and it has been going well, except I'm struggling with my first push. Does anyone have a way to help increase explosiveness on the first push because right now i just have to grind through it and it's affecting my endurance.

Just try to do it all in a single fluid motion.

Kick the dumbell up with your knees as you lay down, pinch shoulder blades, chest out and just shoot up with the arms and contract chest.

I'm just guessing here, but maybe try with resistance bands on a barbell or bands alone to help. You don't want to tear a rotator cuff, so go lighter maybe till you're comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2016 at 5:52 PM, Gyllenhaal said:

Few options I'd recommend. 

Decrease the weight, find a spot to help you on the lift up or work more on your shoulders to help with the first push up.

• Upvote 1

Anabolic fasting has become a lifestyle at this point, meaning I'm not consciously thinking "Ok, just this many hours until I can break my fast." It's second nature now, wake up, go to the gym, sip on my bcaa's, have black coffee, work, etc. Oh, it's almost 12? Cool, I guess I'll eat soon. 

Went out for beers and nachos with a couple close friends last night in Vancouver. On our way back, stopped at Krispy Kreme because after 10pm you get a dozen donuts for half price ($6). Also stopped at DQ for blizzards. 

Had my blizzard, scarfed down the new cookie dough donut and the triple chocolate donut and half of the new oreo creme donut.

Woke up this morning at the exact same weight as yesterday, or 0.1lbs heavier (I was pretty tired this morning so I was kind of swaying slightly back and forth so the scale was flickering between the .1 but eventually set at yesterday morning's weight).

Squat PR has gone up again, DL PR went up, bent over BB row PR is up. Only thing I'm plateaued at is my bench, but I'm also nursing some shoulder problems I'm currently getting treated and my left shoulder girdle is not firing optimally so that's holding back the weight. 

Anabolic fasting has become a lifestyle at this point, meaning I'm not consciously thinking "Ok, just this many hours until I can break my fast." It's second nature now, wake up, go to the gym, sip on my bcaa's, have black coffee, work, etc. Oh, it's almost 12? Cool, I guess I'll eat soon. 

Went out for beers and nachos with a couple close friends last night in Vancouver. On our way back, stopped at Krispy Kreme because after 10pm you get a dozen donuts for half price ($6). Also stopped at DQ for blizzards. 

Had my blizzard, scarfed down the new cookie dough donut and the triple chocolate donut and half of the new oreo creme donut.

Woke up this morning at the exact same weight as yesterday, or 0.1lbs heavier (I was pretty tired this morning so I was kind of swaying slightly back and forth so the scale was flickering between the .1 but eventually set at yesterday morning's weight).

Squat PR has gone up again, DL PR went up, bent over BB row PR is up. Only thing I'm plateaued at is my bench, but I'm also nursing some shoulder problems I'm currently getting treated and my left shoulder girdle is not firing optimally so that's holding back the weight. 

are you shredded like wheat yet though?? :huh:

45 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

are you shredded like wheat yet though?? :huh:

In just about a month I've dropped about 2.5%bf but my training program has also been strength based. In a few weeks I'll shift over to a cutting regime and incorporate cardio and specific ab workouts in between sets so I'll let ya know.

13 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

In just about a month I've dropped about 2.5%bf but my training program has also been strength based. In a few weeks I'll shift over to a cutting regime and incorporate cardio and specific ab workouts in between sets so I'll let ya know.

You can always just eat clen and tren hard!

/sarcasm