The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

14 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I like to use 'Epsomgel' as it's a high quality product with how it's made, and it's also local as it's made in Pemberton. 

https://www.epsomgel.ca

If you have Amazon prime you could get it to your doorstep in a couple days - it should also be available at a place like shoppers 

35 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I had it about a year ago to treat Achilles tendinitis stemming from an outrageously tight calf. It worked wonders and I haven’t had issues since. 

Thanks guys

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm not the biggest fan of IMS (form of dry-needling, same needle as an acupuncture needle but where acupuncture follows predetermined pathways and the needles stay in you, IMS is a single needle that causes muscle twitches) as I believe too many therapists these days hide behind it and instead of using it to supplement a treatment, they make it the treatment, however it is an excellent modality for both the release and healing of tissues. 

Your Extensor digitorum communis needs to be IMS'd and possibly the three Extensor carpi's. 

Fish oils and maintaining strong forearm muscles are preventative measures, but once you actually experience the 'injury' they won't help too much before you either wait it out (could take weeks) with heat/ice or treat the soft tissues in the area followed by the corrective exercises. 

Don't worry, it's not age related it's overuse/improper use related.

I'll try the strengthening forearm thing. I can't imagine it is overuse or improper use as my form I doubt has changed really at all since ever and certainly can't be overuse as I don't lift as much as I used to

9 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I'll try the strengthening forearm thing. I can't imagine it is overuse or improper use as my form I doubt has changed really at all since ever and certainly can't be overuse as I don't lift as much as I used to

It only takes 1 rep

On 2/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, BPA said:

Maybe not this year.  

I'm able to do 10km  in 60  min.  Still need to do a longer run.  Haven't found the time to go for 2hr run yet.

If you can get a half marathon in two hours right now you could have a chance.

22 hours ago, riffraff said:

If you can get a half marathon in two hours right now you could have a chance.

Don't think I can do 21km in 2 hours...more like 2.5-3hrs.  Also I need to get a running vest and try out gels / chews. 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Don't think I can do 21km in 2 hours...more like 2.5-3hrs.  Also I need to get a running vest and try out gels / chews. 

I haven’t run the full but I’ve run the half a few times....just my opinion thy the two hour a half is a good indicator to fitness level for a full.

i hit the gels at the 10 to carry through the rest of the 21 on runs.They work great. I prefer just the pure honey ones

yesterday on a 55km trail bike ride I experimented with pure water mixed with a couple of those “emergenC” packets and one honey gel and one vanilla Cliff brand gel.  It is my longest ride this year so far and I felt great.  The gels I use do not contain caffeine however I brought a thermos of coffee for a break in the sun a few kms after halfway home.  Basically I rode from Langford to the Todd trestle bridge just past Sooke.  Unfortunately the bridge was blocked for repair and I didn’t go the 9km more to Sooke potholes. The detour put me in a shady area and the sun was going down. The temp was dropping and I made the call to head back.

what kind of vest are you after?

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

I haven’t run the full but I’ve run the half a few times....just my opinion thy the two hour a half is a good indicator to fitness level for a full.

i hit the gels at the 10 to carry through the rest of the 21 on runs.They work great. I prefer just the pure honey ones

yesterday on a 55km trail bike ride I experimented with pure water mixed with a couple of those “emergenC” packets and one honey gel and one vanilla Cliff brand gel.  It is my longest ride this year so far and I felt great.  The gels I use do not contain caffeine however I brought a thermos of coffee for a break in the sun a few kms after halfway home.  Basically I rode from Langford to the Todd trestle bridge just past Sooke.  Unfortunately the bridge was blocked for repair and I didn’t go the 9km more to Sooke potholes. The detour put me in a shady area and the sun was going down. The temp was dropping and I made the call to head back.

what kind of vest are you after?

Saw Osprey Dura 6 on clearance at MEC.  Enough pockets and a 1.5L hydration bladder.  Thinking of picking that up.

Edited by BPA

Good for you fellas.

I'm procrastinating putting myself in the Sun Run 10k.

I have done it for the last 5 years. Would like to go sub 50mins....best has been 54 a couple years back.....

...but I've got ,,....'high hopes , high hopes, high apple pie in the sky hopes'

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

It only takes 1 rep

I know that but it's an on and off feeling. Sometimes it's fine. It's like 70/30 I feel it. I get it in my knees too once in a while but never when I'm squatting. I think it's simply the mileage of having done this for about 4 days a week for 8 years. I was doing narrow grip Thursday and felt fine but then the tricep pressdown warm up last night it was noticeable - meanwhile I did strength building for tricep pressdown the week before that and not a problem whatsoever. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, bishopshodan said:

Good for you fellas.

I'm procrastinating putting myself in the Sun Run 10k.

I have done it for the last 5 years. Would like to go sub 50mins....best has been 54 a couple years back.....

...but I've got ,,....'high hopes , high hopes, high apple pie in the sky hopes'

What is your height and weight?

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

5'11 (shh, I tell my wife I'm 6ft)

188 lbs today ( bit surprised, I've gained a touch. Been weight training more....but also having a few extra brew ... :unsure: )

Cut out the beer.

Lol.  I know.  Easier said than done.

::D

28 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

5'11 (shh, I tell my wife I'm 6ft)

188 lbs today ( bit surprised, I've gained a touch. Been weight training more....but also having a few extra brew ... :unsure: )

Ok so we are similar.  I’m 6’1” 195

reason I asked is over the last few years I have cycled between 190-205 and even 7 or 8 lbs seems to have an effect on my speed at the 10km which I run often

my fastest is 48 which I have done a few times but I don’t think I would get lower in time without dropping weight - probably closer to 180 which is too light for other aspects of my lifestyle.

having said all that I’ve only run by myself and never trained with a club or ran with someone faster.

16 hours ago, BPA said:

Cut out the beer.

Lol.  I know.  Easier said than done.

::D

15 hours ago, riffraff said:

Ok so we are similar.  I’m 6’1” 195

reason I asked is over the last few years I have cycled between 190-205 and even 7 or 8 lbs seems to have an effect on my speed at the 10km which I run often

my fastest is 48 which I have done a few times but I don’t think I would get lower in time without dropping weight - probably closer to 180 which is too light for other aspects of my lifestyle.

having said all that I’ve only run by myself and never trained with a club or ran with someone faster.

I signed up.

Will lay off the beer and hope to drop a few pounds in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for the sound logical advice.

Will post my time.

I am 5' 10" and cycle between 170 and 180. I would love to be a very lean 175 (see Ryan Kwanten or Jeff Cavaliere).

But damn that's hard to get there at 46!

I just recently jumped back up to 180. Time to bring that down a bit.

Which is a challenge this week. Too many company lunches!

Edited by Shift-4
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I signed up.

Will lay off the beer and hope to drop a few pounds in the next 3 weeks.

Thanks for the sound logical advice.

Will post my time.

Lol

end of race speech:

”so what were the greatest challenges of your training?”

”beer cutting”

anyway 

ive been slowly cutting down to where I’m about one beer per evening.... not that I was ever a drinker but with so many good beers out there....well you know....

at almost 43 I’m fortunately still quite lean so cutting ten lbs would be quite a challenge....I bet beer and bread for a month would do it though...

we will see.  I haven’t committed to any race yet but I’d like to do one by end of the summer be it run or bike.  With biking I’m feeling great.  I’m pretty sure I could grind out most distances at my current weight.

good luck man

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I am 5' 10" and cycle between 170 and 180. I would love to be a very lean 175 (see Ryan Kwanten or Jeff Cavaliere).

But damn that's hard to get there at 46!

I just recently jumped back up to 180. Time to bring that down a bit.

Which is a challenge this week. Too many company lunches!

What kind of cycling you doing?