The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Wouldn't worry about it. If your BB and DB pressing strength are going up, you're headed in the right direction.

That's what I'm thinking also. The machine, even though it's an incline press, the movement itself is at an angle, your body isn't though, you're sitting straight up. It's really quite different altogether. But I expected some improvement. Kinda scary when it was literally the exact same this time vs the last time I tried it.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

That's what I'm thinking also. The machine, even though it's an incline press, the movement itself is at an angle, your body isn't though, you're sitting straight up. It's really quite different altogether. But I expected some improvement. Kinda scary when it was literally the exact same this time vs the last time I tried it.

It most likely has to do with motor coordination and whatnot. I'm sure if you did the movement for 6-8 weeks you would see an improvement.

Is it fair to say that if you split squat 90's, then you could also squat 360 with the bar?

No, the back leg helps more than you think. What is your squat at?

ok. I saw the dummest thing a man can do...

I was at gym doing my exercises when I saw a "dude" punching a Fire Extinguisher to "impress" a girl...

but not only once or twice, the creature punched 3 times!

somebody please tell me why the hell on earth a man punch a pressurised bottle?

thats actually an exercise called pressure punches, its a great way to shed skin and break bones

It most likely has to do with motor coordination and whatnot. I'm sure if you did the movement for 6-8 weeks you would see an improvement.

No, the back leg helps more than you think. What is your squat at?

I use to do a "regular" squat of 405 for 5-6 reps but that was over a year ago. Then changed to ass to grass and worked up to three 315 5 x 5 for a while. Then I did that cut I told you about and squat strength dropped off a bit and I haven't done it in over a month now. Decided to do other leg exercises for a while. Split squats, lunges, getting back on leg press again

I use to do a "regular" squat of 405 for 5-6 reps but that was over a year ago. Then changed to ass to grass and worked up to three 315 5 x 5 for a while. Then I did that cut I told you about and squat strength dropped off a bit and I haven't done it in over a month now. Decided to do other leg exercises for a while. Split squats, lunges, getting back on leg press again

I'm completely changing my routine, Mid 20s and I've never squatted, done deadlifts, done preacher curls or hit the bench press consistently.... I'm going to go over to a different community center since my current one doesn't have a bench, squat rack, preacher curl station or olympic barbell and plates.

What type of reps and sets should I be hitting in the squats , deads , bench and preachers??

I have a weak back , average legs, weak core and upper bod.... I think making these compound movements my bread and butter will give me the greatest size and strength gain....

Edited by key2thecup

I'm completely changing my routine, Mid 20s and I've never squatted, done deadlifts, done preacher curls or hit the bench press consistently.... I'm going to go over to a different community center since my current one doesn't have a bench, squat rack, preacher curl station or olympic barbell and plates.

What type of reps and sets should I be hitting in the squats , deads , bench and preachers??

I have a weak back , average legs, weak core and upper bod.... I think making these compound movements my bread and butter will give me the greatest size and strength gain....

I would do a lot of 4-5-6 ranges for strength. No point in trying 10-12 and having to do significantly less weight if you don't do a whole lot to begin with

• Upvote 1

I know Tortorella's Rant is recommending lower reps and going for strength. In my opinion though if you haven't squatted much or done deadlifts, I think you are better off working with lower weights and going higher reps. This will allow you to build some muscle endurance and get some proper form down. More important to build that foundation in the core first before you start lifting heavy. Few years ago I was always going low reps and trying to add weight as much as I can. I ended up hurting myself a lot. I now have a wonky shoulder and a bad wrist. As of 3 months ago, I started working out again and doing it from the ground up. I'm aiming for higher reps every set and adding weight very slowly. I add weight when I know I can push out very good reps with proper form. I stopped using gloves as well and I've made a lot of progress in these 3 months just from proper form and building muscle endurance. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle change. It's okay to take your time to work build it up. When you have built a solid foundation, you can go for the low reps and heavy weight to push your body to the next level.

Just my 2 cents.

I know Tortorella's Rant is recommending lower reps and going for strength. In my opinion though if you haven't squatted much or done deadlifts, I think you are better off working with lower weights and going higher reps. This will allow you to build some muscle endurance and get some proper form down. More important to build that foundation in the core first before you start lifting heavy. Few years ago I was always going low reps and trying to add weight as much as I can. I ended up hurting myself a lot. I now have a wonky shoulder and a bad wrist. As of 3 months ago, I started working out again and doing it from the ground up. I'm aiming for higher reps every set and adding weight very slowly. I add weight when I know I can push out very good reps with proper form. I stopped using gloves as well and I've made a lot of progress in these 3 months just from proper form and building muscle endurance. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle change. It's okay to take your time to work build it up. When you have built a solid foundation, you can go for the low reps and heavy weight to push your body to the next level.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input, I agree, I need to build a foundation first.... thats why I haven't gained much working out without using the basic compound exercises....

What do you think 10 reps , 4 sets? for the squats and deads

8 reps 4 sets for the bench and preachers?

Thanks for the input, I agree, I need to build a foundation first.... thats why I haven't gained much working out without using the basic compound exercises....

What do you think 10 reps , 4 sets? for the squats and deads

8 reps 4 sets for the bench and preachers?

What I'm doing right now is 10-12 reps for everything. It's up to you if you want to do 3 or 4 sets. Just make sure you workout everything during the week. After a few months of working in this rep range, you can try lifting heavier and your motion will probably be a lot smoother for every rep since you would have built up so muscle endurance. Like I said before, don't worry if you aren't lifting that heavy to start because you are better off doing it properly than to hurt yourself like I did in the past.

I would do a lot of 4-5-6 ranges for strength. No point in trying 10-12 and having to do significantly less weight if you don't do a whole lot to begin with

Yep, this. Not much point in doing sets of 10 if you don't already have a solid base of strength (i.e. can do 405+ for 1).

Why ass to grass? It doesn't really recruit any more musculature and it requires relaxation of the lumbar spine and hamstrings to reach that depth. You're better off squatting to just below parallel (hip crease just below top of the knee) because you can keep the lumbar spine tight and the hamstrings under tension. Plus you can move more weight. Just my opinion though.

Speaking of ass to the grass, I did some atg squats yesterday and I'm really feeling the soreness in my glutes.

I foam rolled and stretched before and after the workout, did cardio after, took an icebath, and foam rolled throughout the day today. It still hurts like hell when I try to get up from my seat.

help?

Edited by LeanBeef

Yep, this. Not much point in doing sets of 10 if you don't already have a solid base of strength (i.e. can do 405+ for 1).

Why ass to grass? It doesn't really recruit any more musculature and it requires relaxation of the lumbar spine and hamstrings to reach that depth. You're better off squatting to just below parallel (hip crease just below top of the knee) because you can keep the lumbar spine tight and the hamstrings under tension. Plus you can move more weight. Just my opinion though.

ATG is better for bodybuilding purposes, piwerlifters would do it like youre saying