The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I haven't had a drop of beer or liquor in 8-9 days... That's a big accomplishment for me and a habit that made me gain weight. I feel lighter since. In gonna let myself drink a couple every 1-2 weeks.

Still training hard and eating better. Bought some isolate today. I can feel some weight loss and see a smal difference since I stopped booze 9 days ago.

I haven't had a drop of beer or liquor in 8-9 days... That's a big accomplishment for me and a habit that made me gain weight. I feel lighter since. In gonna let myself drink a couple every 1-2 weeks.

Still training hard and eating better. Bought some isolate today. I can feel some weight loss and see a smal difference since I stopped booze 9 days ago.

Are you weighing yourself every week? "Feeling" weight loss is nice, but it doesn't amount to much if the mirror and scale aren't changing.

Don't have a scale. Mirror test a yes..

The mirror is okay, but you really need some sort of objective measure of progress. A scale would be good, but taking measurements with a tape measure is the best, although much more tedious than just tracking which way your weight is trending.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Currently on my 2nd last week of the 3 month body beast lean schedule and I'm feeling a lot better. High intensity dynamic set training is probably the best exercise I've ever had. I highly recommend Body Beast. It's rigorous but effective.

Also on my 4th week of my anabolic diet and it's certainly had its ups and downs. My body is shedding fat a lot faster but it's extremely tough limiting my carb intake to 25g or less. On the bright side, I'm becoming a better chef !

The next 2 weeks are gonna be the most important of my 3 month program. Anabolic diet + Body Beast Schedule + addition Beast cardio every second day.

I don't post much, but ill definitely provide results after 2 weeks!

Keep on working hard everyone!

Erghhhhh my weak wrists hurt from time to time from lifting. Any recommendations on gloves with wrist straps? Need to pick some up asap!

(In store not online)

My recommendation is don't use gloves. They don't help with grip, at all, and they certainly don't provide any protection for the wrist.

If you want to provide some support for your wrists, invest in a pair of these: http://www.titansupport.com/products/wraps/wrist-wraps/titan-basic-wrist-wraps.html

My recommendation is don't use gloves. They don't help with grip, at all, and they certainly don't provide any protection for the wrist.

If you want to provide some support for your wrists, invest in a pair of these: http://www.titansupport.com/products/wraps/wrist-wraps/titan-basic-wrist-wraps.html

I personally feel more comfortable with gloves on. Yes but there are gloves that basically have wrist wraps built into them, so I was wondering if anyone has used them and has any recommendations of those.

• Upvote 1

I use to wear gloves before realizing it gave me a false sense of strength. I knew something was wrong when all the big ripped dudes in the gym were never wearing gloves. For the past 3 months I have been training without gloves and my grip strength is definitely stronger

I personally feel more comfortable with gloves on. Yes but there are gloves that basically have wrist wraps built into them, so I was wondering if anyone has used them and has any recommendations of those.

just use wrist straps, glives make the bar thicker and harder to hold on to.

Wrist straps can be found anywhere online or in stores. There all teally the same other than a little padding

Okay, so I was at the gym a while back having a chat with an egotistical prick. (claimed to bench 365 and I saw him doing 315 with half reps, but anyway). I don't recall if I mentioned this here or at some other point in a different thread.

Squats and other various exercises. He made the case that it's easier for smaller people to get stronger at them because of the shorter distance short people have to travel. I countered by saying that taller people, if they aren't naturally stronger to begin, with definitely have the potential to be stronger because of their longer limbs equating to more muscle overall giving them the ability to add much more to their frame. I said that you don't see any short people in the strong man competitions for a reason; most of those guys are 6 feet minimum. I'm 5'7 and he's 6'3 or 6'4.

I've heard this crap regarding running too. "Short people's feet his the track faster than the feet of taller people!" Except someone like Usain Bolt has literally twice the leg span I do and covers that much more ground that much quicker.

Anyway, what do you think?

I obviously think he is wrong. Size is a huge factor and plays an important role in almost every sport.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Has anyone tried the 21 day sugar free detox? Although I did the modified vegan version for athletes, there is a paleo version for athletes as well. I don't think I've cut more weight, gained more energy and felt so good on any other meal plan. Wasn't counting calories either. Just wholesome, nutritous eating.

Okay, so I was at the gym a while back having a chat with an egotistical prick. (claimed to bench 365 and I saw him doing 315 with half reps, but anyway). I don't recall if I mentioned this here or at some other point in a different thread.

Squats and other various exercises. He made the case that it's easier for smaller people to get stronger at them because of the shorter distance short people have to travel. I countered by saying that taller people, if they aren't naturally stronger to begin, with definitely have the potential to be stronger because of their longer limbs equating to more muscle overall giving them the ability to add much more to their frame. I said that you don't see any short people in the strong man competitions for a reason; most of those guys are 6 feet minimum. I'm 5'7 and he's 6'3 or 6'4.

I've heard this crap regarding running too. "Short people's feet his the track faster than the feet of taller people!" Except someone like Usain Bolt has literally twice the leg span I do and covers that much more ground that much quicker.

Anyway, what do you think?

I obviously think he is wrong. Size is a huge factor and plays an important role in almost every sport.

Depends on if you're talking squat, deadlift, bench strength, or strongman (pick stuff up and move it) style strength. Short people definitely have a leverage and ROM advantage for powerlifting. The easiest way to improve your PL total is to figure out how to shorten the ROM as much as possible and stay within the rules, and thus shorter people naturally have an advantage. It's no coincidence that the best PLers ever, IMO, Kirk Karwoski and Ed Coan were both 5' 8" or shorter and 220+ (can you say PEDs).

In contrast, the best Strongmen are all 6' 2" or more. The nature of strongman mostly relies on deadlifting and other "pulling" strength. Guys with long arms tend to be good deadlifters, and therefore good strongmen. This only applies to the heavyweight strongmen (200+ LOL, all the competitive guys are 280+). In the lightweight (<200lb division) of strongman, power midgets reign supreme.

To recap: Yes, short people have an ROM advantage, but that doesn't mean tall people can't also get really strong.

Liquid Grip is all you need for deadlifts.

It's chalk in a liquid form but has better grip.

I use a rosin bag. Similar to chalk but a bit tackier. I swear it adds 50lbs to my deadlift because I can hold onto much more weight before grip becomes an issue.

Depends on if you're talking squat, deadlift, bench strength, or strongman (pick stuff up and move it) style strength. Short people definitely have a leverage and ROM advantage for powerlifting. The easiest way to improve your PL total is to figure out how to shorten the ROM as much as possible and stay within the rules, and thus shorter people naturally have an advantage. It's no coincidence that the best PLers ever, IMO, Kirk Karwoski and Ed Coan were both 5' 8" or shorter and 220+ (can you say PEDs).

In contrast, the best Strongmen are all 6' 2" or more. The nature of strongman mostly relies on deadlifting and other "pulling" strength. Guys with long arms tend to be good deadlifters, and therefore good strongmen. This only applies to the heavyweight strongmen (200+ LOL, all the competitive guys are 280+). In the lightweight (<200lb division) of strongman, power midgets reign supreme.

To recap: Yes, short people have an ROM advantage, but that doesn't mean tall people can't also get really strong.

I use a rosin bag. Similar to chalk but a bit tackier. I swear it adds 50lbs to my deadlift because I can hold onto much more weight before grip becomes an issue.

Hm, interesting...I'll have to look into that!