The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

So you know the machine for plated weight incline bench? I literally hadn't done this in over a year and I'm no better at it now than I was then. But my incline and my strength in general has improved. Is that a cause for concern or is it just because the motion and how you work your muscles with a regular incline bar or dumbbells is obviously different to that of the machine which I never use hence no improvement.

So you know the machine for plated weight incline bench? I literally hadn't done this in over a year and I'm no better at it now than I was then. But my incline and my strength in general has improved. Is that a cause for concern or is it just because the motion and how you work your muscles with a regular incline bar or dumbbells is obviously different to that of the machine which I never use hence no improvement.

I wouldn't say "cause for concern" but probably, as you said yourself, the result of not using that muscle group.

Finally started going for swims again (30 min-1 hour, 1.5k-3k).

Was in way better shape overall back in the days I swam 5 times a week (rarely hitting the gym) than I am now (hitting the gym about 5 times week).

Best exercise you can do.

Edited by Jägermeister

Ok, i'm confused.

So this summer I've been working my ass off trying to improve on my bench max.

I saw great results during the first 2-4 weeks but now it seems like i'm regressing.

Today I was barely able to rep my usual 5rpm three times.

Tried changing up my routines. Went 4x4 for the first couple of weeks(two times a week), then Wendlers 5/3/1 for the next four weeks(once a week), and now im doing 5x5 (once a week)

I was also forced to use the chest press machine for the last two weeks due to the db and bb benches being used.

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

periodization. Look it up, helped me a ton in terms if improving my 1RM

Wouldn't worry about it. If your BB and DB pressing strength are going up, you're headed in the right direction.

I personally feel more comfortable with gloves on. Yes but there are gloves that basically have wrist wraps built into them, so I was wondering if anyone has used them and has any recommendations of those.

It depends upon the type of gloves you wear for the workouts. I used to wear normal wool/cloth gloves so that I might not get blisters in my hand because of weight-lifting. I was saved of blisters but compromised with grip. :wacko: I feel good with thin leather gloves. That provide both grip as well as protection against blisters. :P

Edited by Finn Felton

Shoulders hurting in one spot when doing the bench press... I can so totally push out many more reps, but my shoulders don't allow me to. Is it just because I'm new (1 year) and that I've hardly done the bench press (always DB press)? Or..

is your form good? Make sure you do not flare out your elbows when benching, your arms should be at ~45 degree angle

If not then DB is a good alternative.

Anybody wanna come give me a massage?

This week of Wendlers kicked my ass...still have Bench today but dead lift day was heaviest I have done in a veryyyyyyyyyy long time and now I am feeling like an 80 year old man.

Upping my Clen dosage to 100mcg today, I think. I really don't feel much when it comes to it. It's liquid Clen and i'm pretty sure it isn't bunk because I got it from a reputable supplier...Who knows.

Got new training shoes and wow it makes a great difference. I was stuck using running shoes or chuck taylors for squat's and DL's. My ankles were wobbling around like crazy due to the bounce in the running shoes. No bouncing and my feet were able to drive the ground pretty well.

Got new training shoes and wow it makes a great difference. I was stuck using running shoes or chuck taylors for squat's and DL's. My ankles were wobbling around like crazy due to the bounce in the running shoes. No bouncing and my feet were able to drive the ground pretty well.

A proper pair of shoes are a must for any serious lifter. I have a pair of Rouge Do-Wins that I absolutely love for squatting.

What kind did you get?

Serious question.... there's this group of guys at my gym, im guessing there all buddies.. long story short I dont know what I did that offended them, but everytime I see them there, they start staring at me, like they want to scrap or something lol.... none of them have ever said anything to me or anything like that, but whenever I come across them (maj. of the time theyre there since we work out at the same times i guess).... they just stare at me like no tommorrow.

these guys are bigger than me too, wtf should i do?

Serious question.... there's this group of guys at my gym, im guessing there all buddies.. long story short I dont know what I did that offended them, but everytime I see them there, they start staring at me, like they want to scrap or something lol.... none of them have ever said anything to me or anything like that, but whenever I come across them (maj. of the time theyre there since we work out at the same times i guess).... they just stare at me like no tommorrow.

Ignore em. They're probably trying to intimidate you... lol I used to do that to kids when I started lifting (regret it though)

Ignore them, and if they do ever start harassing you, just tell the manager. I'm sure there's a zero tolerance on that kind of stuff, so those dudes would get their memberships revoked or something.

Edit: Ninja'd by the Beef

Edited by ChenWei91

Ignore em. They're probably trying to intimidate you... lol I used to do that to kids when I started lifting (regret it though)

Ignore them, and if they do ever start harassing you, just tell the manager. I'm sure there's a zero tolerance on that kind of stuff, so those dudes would get their memberships revoked or something.

Edit: Ninja'd by the Beef

yea thats what i try and do, just ignore em.... but I swear its like a 'clique' and everyone knows these guys kinda thing.... Ill be hitting the db presses and look up in the mirror and catch them glancing at me lol .... that shtt is annoying dude

yea thats what i try and do, just ignore em.... but I swear its like a 'clique' and everyone knows these guys kinda thing.... Ill be hitting the db presses and look up in the mirror and catch them glancing at me lol .... that shtt is annoying dude

Take your shirt off, lick your pointing finger, then rub your nipples in a very sexual fashion. That should scare them off np.