The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As a fan, would you support a rebuild?

wallstreetamigo

As a fan, would you support a rebuild?  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think a re-tool is good.

The Sedins contract is up next year. What if they re-sign for much cheaper like 4m each?

We can use the saved money and finally get them a star forward that they've always needed. OR a new coach might be the ticket to developing Kassian into that role for 2014-2015 season.

Kes can be top line centre at that point.

The Core is still relatively young. We are not the Calgary Flames. Those guys were in their mid to late 30s.

Our guys are in their late 20s or early 30s. The Sedins are our oldest players and they are 32 years old.

It is hard to go all in when the cap is dropping. You are going to lose a few players because you can't afford them. How do propose to add those parts with no cap space? It is better to trade some of our top guns and get picks and high end prospects that we can build on. We just don't have the cap to get the players that you are suggesting. So after another 3 years of mediocrity, are you prepared to have the Sedins retire and we get nothing (see Calgary....Iginla did not retire but Calgary didn't get much for him either because they waited too long). At least by rebuilding, you have a younger team and high picks....painful for 5 years but better than 1st rnd exits. At least another 3 years of solid hockey left in them. Meanwhile, the rest of the team is younger.

We have a great balance of youth in the line up (Corrado, Tanev, Kassian, Schroeder) and we have more coming in the next 1-2 years (Guance, Jensen)

Infact if our oldest guys  Sedins @ 32 yrs old is what's making us think about a rebuild, its silly. They are still young enough to play another 2-3 years minimum of quality hockey.

I would think that this is the time to consider going "all in" and adding a star forward and a star d-man and then setting up the rebuild when Sedins are 35

This team does not need a rebuild. You don't rebuild a team that was on pace to finish with over 100 points in a season and has won the division how many times in a row...

This was just a weird season all around. Hopefully they solve the goalie situation and there won't be this giant media distraction on the team the entire year. The core is still solid and can win, they just need a better supporting cast.

Get rid of Ballard, Booth, and a goalie and we have 14mil cleared up right there.

This team does not need a rebuild.  You don't rebuild a team that was on pace to finish with over 100 points in a season and has won the division how many times in a row...

This was just a weird season all around.  Hopefully they solve the goalie situation and there won't be this giant media distraction on the team the entire year.  The core is still solid and can win, they just need a better supporting cast.

Get rid of Ballard, Booth, and a goalie and we have 14mil cleared up right there.

Sedin(6.1)-Sedin(6.1)-Burrows(4.5)

Higgins(2.5)-Kesler(5.0)-Kassian(0.87)

_______(1.0)-Schroeder(1.0)-Hansen(1.35)

________(0.8)-Lapierre (1.3)-________(0.8)

________(0.6), ________(0.6)

Hamhuis(4.5)-Bieksa(4.6)

Edler(5.0)-Garrison(4.6)

______(1.0)-Tanev(0.9)

________(0.6)

Schneider(4.0)

Lack(0.75)

- $58.47 mil / $64.3 mil = $5.83 mil cap space

Out:

Luongo

Raymond (UFA)

Roy (UFA)

Booth (Buyout)

Ballard (Buyout)

Malhotra (UFA)

Alberts (UFA)

In:

Return for Luongo

A heck of a lot is going to need to change if we aren't going to ice a similar team to this year albeit with less depth.

If we want this team to be any better next year say goodbye to several more core members.

There needs to be some big changes, at least big enough to let them know that no one's job is safe. Management needs to go all the way up and down and deeply evaluate what should be kept and what should be offloaded ASAP. The roster needs to be shaken up for sure. Keep Kesler, Tanev, Schneider, Lapierre, Garrison, Hamhuis, Hansen and bring in some of the younger prospects to change the identity of this team. These players are either low profile, great performers under pressure, or proven workhorses. Those kinds of players are timelessly a solid foundation. Streaky or inconsistent players as well as players not worth their cap like Edler, Raymond, Booth, and Ballard should be always on the dangle. Then you have players that you can teeter on like Roy, Higgins, and Kassian that you can leave up to the flow of things. Leaning towards one kind of team identity means you'll probably be offloading the others, but each player can be considered depending on where you're going with it.

The biggest issue for management I think are franchise players like the Sedins, Bieksa, and Burrows. Do you trade the legacy of your team who are Hart and Art Ross winners ON TOP OF amazing community figures? Do you trade what is probably the embodiment of the perfect teammate in Bieksa? Do you trade Mr. Clutch who perhaps has the most memorable goals (PLURAL) in recent Canucks history, is undrafted, a passionate workhorse, and is the classy and dirtier version of Brad Marchand? (Why else would you hate him if he were only a plug?). Shipping off your legacy core can be franchise suicide, or just another pebble in the pond. Don't forget attracting players to a team also involves the player's decision. It's still their career, and they want a stable one. No player wants to consider a team that turns their back on the pillar they've leaned on for ages just because of a few bad performances.

I support doing a heavy re-tool, there's too much clutter in contracts like Edler, Ballard, Booth, and now Luongo. (I'll miss you Lui :( )

It's also up to the same management whose jobs had BETTER be on the line to fire their peers. Go through coaching and personnel and see who's responsble for the games you win and who's responsible for the games you lose. It doesn't matter how much preparation goes on behind the scenes if the practical application of that in games is a LOSS. The coaching staff should be coaching to win and nothing else. Newell Brown and AV should definitely be on the chopping board. But perhaps we should find the weakest link. For example, maybe AV isn't allowing staff like Newell Brown and Rick Bowness to properly gel with the team.

Something bigger better happen this offseason. The Aquilinis didn't do much last season hopefully because they gave the team the benefit of the doubt. But now after this sweep PLUS with a mostly healthy roster, there really are no excuses.

As for a rebuild, I don't think the Aquilinis are willing to go through with drafting not because they don't have the balls, but business is about return, and pursuing that direction with MG drafting will not yield the most efficient return. If the Aquilinis plan to go through with drafting, expect a change in GMs.

I'm not sure Gillis would be the GM to re-tool though to be honest. To buy out guys like Ballard or Booth, trade core players that were re-signed (Bieksa, Edler, etc.) and fire a coach that was extended last offseason after a terrible performance might not be possible unless a new GM is put in place with the mandate to clean things up a bit.

I just don't see MG suddenly changing who he is and actually admitting that he needs to back out of so many of his own moves that even this season he was still defending as the right moves.

The average age there is 28.4 yrs old.

That's prime hockey age.

The only question is whether our top line (avg age =32) can play solid for another 3 years?

I think the answer to that is yes. ESPECIALLY if MG finally gets them some help and gets a bonafide Power Forward Star.

It would have been nice if we were in the Rick Nash sweepstakes.

However, if MG plans on going status quo and keep running Sedins and Burrows, I would welcome a rebuild because that means we are not going to have playoff success

I'm not sure Gillis would be the GM to re-tool though to be honest. To buy out guys like Ballard or Booth, trade core players that were re-signed (Bieksa, Edler, etc.) and fire a coach that was extended last offseason after a terrible performance might not be possible unless a new GM is put in place with the mandate to clean things up a bit.

I just don't see MG suddenly changing who he is and actually admitting that he needs to back out of so many of his own moves that even this season he was still defending as the right moves.

Do people realize that a "rebuild" usually constitutes missing the playoffs for at least a year or two while trading away our best players. Our "prospects" are projected AT BEST to be borderline 2nd or 3rd liners. Our young D-men are steady, stay-at-home types that don't make mistakes but don't make any plays.

As painful as this season was, it will be epic in comparison to watching that group in the spotlight for two seasons.

People keep saying that we need to buy out Ballard and Booth. Are they seriously not worth atleast a third round pick each (Ballard probably a 2nd rounder) for a team like Islanders, who have cap space and could easily consider it an upgrade to have Ballard in the lineup ? Or a team like Columbus/Nashville for Booth.

People keep saying that we need to buy out Ballard and Booth. Are they seriously not worth atleast a third round pick each (Ballard probably a 2nd rounder) for a team like Islanders, who have cap space and could easily consider it an upgrade to have Ballard in the lineup ? Or a team like Columbus/Nashville for Booth.

Ironically, I'd wager most people calling for a "rebuild" wouldn't last a quarter of a season watching the plugs we'd have on the ice if we traded away our top players.

I've said it before: be careful what you wish for, lest you become the Edmonton Oilers. Vancouver can't handle a 3 game losing streak, let alone half a decade of missing the playoffs.

Retool.

Gillis has done some good things, some bad. More bad than good the last two years. He probably gets one more year to begin a retool (not rebuild) of this team. I wouldn't complain if he was let go though. I really don't like the sideshow this team started becoming under his direction the last year.

Time to move on from AV. Most coaches have a shelf life before their message becomes stale not to mention the team and fans (myself included) seem to be growing tired of his curious decisions. He also adds to the sideshow.

Used to be one of Edler's biggest supporters but his constant lack of focus and foolish decisions are not going away and actually seem to be becoming more frequent. This may be a dream but I would do anything in my power to retain Shea Weber (Edler, 1st and prospect of Nashville's choice) whatever it takes.

Booth/Ballard are the obvious buyout candidates to clear cap space (though signing those two buyout cheques for close to $6mil might also sign Gillis' pink slip). Raymond's, Roy's, Manny's, Lapierre's and Alberts's contracts are also up and I would guess they're as good as gone. (maybe Max stays for a mil but that's all I can see on the roster next year).

At least Luongo's play is driving his price back up a bit so that's a bit of a plus. Maybe we can regain some of the assets that we'll have to move to acquire a player of elite status (preferably a defenceman).

Sedin's are consummate professionals and truly world class people. They have done so much for the team and city of Vancouver. I am against moving them unless its something they want which I don't see happening. They have earned the right to play out the last year of their contract. Perhaps they will sign short term deals for much less next year. Vancouver can start the transition from the Sedins as the faces of our team to complimentary players. If deals like that are not something they're interested in, it may be time to part ways as sad as it is.

Free agent pool is extremely thin this year so spend the money smartly on one or two year deals and see how the team responds to a new coaching staff. If it's clear next year that its not going to happen with this group. It might be time to start moving some other staples of this team (Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins etc.) and getting back some youthful talent via trade or 2014 free agent class.

I don't think the team will look much differently next year due to cap issues but a new coach, perhaps a new GM and big name acquisition to replace Edler (Weber please) would be enough. If not, this team should look completely different for the 2014-2015 season.

Retool like the Flyers did and get younger. You can't be afraid to make bold moves. The Flyers traded Carter and Richards and made their team over dramatically. The results haven't been there yet but long term they have a more competitive team.

Trade Edler, Schneider, Kesler the guys that have the most value around the league and get good young players back as well as prospects and draft picks.

I'd say we keep a lesser group of core players, the Sedins and Kesler for example and be willing to sacrifice a few better players in trades and prospects. Based on our lackluster performance in the playoffs, if we can drag a team of prospects and young talent to the post-season we will fare just as well or better and build up some experience and depth.

3 strong players for the top 2 lines, Higgin's/Hansen need a big centerman, and Burrows and Kassian need a big forward on 4th line. If we cant trade Lou trade Schneids.

People saying to trade the twins are tools. There is nothing out there that we can replace the two of them with at a reasonable cost. Their payroll has likely capped, indeed, they may take less after next year in order to stay together and stay on the Canucks. That said, they may no longer be what we need for a number 1 line. If we can manage to get two top forwards, or one super-star caliber forward to anchor a solid top line, that is what is needed. The Sedins will make the best second line in the league for a good number of years, as long as we have a more dangerous top line.

The question is, can we get there next year? I say yes, but it will take a very skilled GM, and frankly I don't have full faith in Gillis. We need to target teams like Edmonton with top prospects galore, and no success. They might very easily move a potential star like Nugent-Hopkins or Yakupov for two blue-chip, solid players, knowing that the cap is shrinking, and their talent/farm pool still deep. They might have their doubts about Dubnyk too. Now...that does not mean I think it will happen. But think about it this way...this is a summer of buyouts, of players too expensive for the cap, etc...there will be ALOT of opportunity out there to get they type of player needed for bargain prices compared to what they would have been asking before. Do we need to shake it up? Absolutely...but to trade away the entire core is the worst possible move.

As a fan, would you accept and support a rebuild?

My question is simply would you support the Canucks through a rebuild if that were the course of action deemed necessary.

One of the main reasons teams wait too long to go through a rebuild is purely for business reasons. Namely the decreased revenue and interest in the team that comes with losing for an extended period.

I am very frustrated with the Canucks at this point. So frustrated that I would be okay with going a different direction even if it meant losing for a few seasons.

Now, there are different types of rebuilds.

1. The Tweak - We have seen the first kind for the last few years. Basically tweaking the roster and maintaining the same core.

To me, this approach will not work going forward, but it is still a type of rebuild so it is on the list.

2. The Re-Tool - The second type is more of a re-tool. Where you maintain a significant portion of your team and try to add a few major pieces without going through the losing.

It is the ideal rebuild scenario but unfortunately it is much harder to effectively pull off than it appears. Every team tries to do this every year so you have to be pretty effective to beat out 29 other teams for those limited impact assets that are available. The Canucks have not shown any ability, imo, to be able to do so consistently.

3. The Gut and Grow - The 3rd type is the painful one. A deep rebuild like we will see the Flames go through. And have seen the Oilers go through. Basically sucking enough for several years to build with top draft picks.

I think drafting and development need to be a much bigger priority but am not sure Vancouver or the Aquilinis would have the balls to see this one through.

I know for me I have seen enough of this core group now to be comfortable with something between option 2 and option 3. I think I might actually be excited to see some bigger changes even if it meant some growing pains.

What do you guys think?

Here are my suggestions for a partial rebuild:

Trade a goal tender

Get an elite goal scorer to play with the twins

Gut the defensive core, Beiksa, Edler, Ballard, Garrison must go

New Line Up:

Sedin Sedin ???

??? Kesler Burrows

Hansen ??? ???

??? Lappy ???

Defensive pairings:

??? ???