The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

As a fan, would you support a rebuild?

wallstreetamigo

As a fan, would you support a rebuild?  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would support Philly-style rebuilds, where the team continually gets younger, brings in quality assets to fix problems from areas of strength, and aggressively signs guys who also fit needs. Primarily, this team needs play maker for Kes, while other lines have more scorers. I would also support moving the Twins since they'll be UFA after next season; rentals get good returns, plus we can probably sign them in the off-season. Expensive, ineffective players (Edler, Booth, Ballard, Lu, Higgins) also need to get moved, while I wouldn't re-sign Roy or Raymond (hopefully can trade their UFA rights though).

**italics mean subject to getting moved/ not re-signed (if UFA)**

Ideally, I would like

Danny - Kesler - Voracek (wingmate for Kes who can also fly, plus they can score; split the Twins to keep them moving)

Burrows - Hank - Ryder (scorers for Hank to work with, plus Burr can cycle with Hank and help him work off the rush)

Jensen? - Cullen - Kassian

(Cullen knows what it takes to win the Cup; I would go with Kassian and Jensen on the 3rd if they're ready for top 9 mins.)

Lapierre - Gordon - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Liles? - Garrison (need puck mover, Liles for Booth?)

Alberts - Tanev/ Corrado

Schneider

Giguere (veteran backup who knows how to get it done and can come in at moment's notice if Cory falters)

realistically though, it'll be tough to fit all that under the cap, since my numbers already went above the $64.3M cap ceiling, without having spare guys.

EDIT: also, don't ask me who I think Edler, the Sedins and Lu can bring back b/c just like you guys I have no clue :P

Sedins are signed for one more year, tweek the roster, get a new coach, solve the goalie debockle. If you can call having two great goalies a debockle other than the cap hit. Head in a new direction with the new coach.....you've got an entire year to figure this out. Frankly, all of these things should have been solved durring the shortened season that we just had. Any record or cup win this year, in my view is tainted anyways........ Gillis lost my support when he didn't solve any of this, this year. Another year waisted, that makes two years in a row now.

But the effectiveness of how teams pull off those constant tweaks and re-tool is the point. The Canucks tweaking has failed the last two years.

I would love to see 2-3 current core players at minimum traded this summer. Edler, Bieksa, and a goalie are the obvious choices to me.

I voted re tool. Realistically, I want to go into next season with the following players. (Obviously it wont happen, but I can dream).

???? - Kesler - Burrows

???? - ???? - ????

Higgins - ???? - Hansen

???? - Lapierre - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

???? - Corrado

Schneider

Lack

Our defence is fine, but we will have to trade one of Edler, Garrison or Hamhuis. If the Sedin era is over, then Edler will likely want out as well. He already lost Salo and Ehrhoff and probably won't want to stay if we somehow lost the Sedins

We need North Americans with heart who give it their all game after game. Corrado and Tanev are good young players, and this is what the team needs.

Simply cut out the dead weight as best as they can and fill those roster spots with prospects/FAs/ or trades, then see how it goes.

Dead weight

- Raymond

- Booth

- Ballard

- Luongo (more redundant than dead weight)

Players that should be on the cusp due to lack of usefulness or consistent no-shows

- Ebbett

- Weise

- Roy (most likely gone as a UFA anyway)

- Lapierre (although he has his moments)

- Pinizzotto (useless)

- Edler (way too inconsistent for the price tag)

- Barker (bargain basement, nuff said)

I totally agree. The over reliance on Bieksa and Edler and the inability to even try limiting them to see if it helps is a huge black mark on the coaching staff.

They seem to still believe that Bieksa stabilizes pairings. Like honestly, are they really that stupid?

I think this team needs a new direction, but not a full rebuild.

I would consider a new GM before Luongo is moved, and let that be his first major stamp on the team.

We NEED a new coach. I have supported AV over the years, but it's clear this team needs a new direction and the coaching change will help immensley in that. Easier said than done though.

Lastly, we need to demote the twins to second line minutes/duties and create a first line around Kesler. This can be done by trading Schneider instead of Luongo, if Luo wants to stay at this point. With Schneider, we can get the piece we need to play with Kes

Mire on the coaching change. The reason I've changed my mind to fire AV this year is because he doesn't take chances. He plays things too safe. Teams don't win championships without taking chances (ie on young, high risk players).

It appears that many in CDC have already given up on the 'Nucks chances tonight. Way to support your team, folks! Anywho....................

I voted for a re-tool. Yeah. I know. Hypocritical though it may seem after the above paragraph, but I have my thoughts on this subject.

I may be slightly off on the facts here but, in the past, oh I don't know...........uh............decade and a half, the 'Nucks have had two different owners, 2 or 3 different head coaches, (with AV the longest surviving one,), a number of goalies, some decent trades and acquisitions and some not so decent ones. Mostly depth type trades and such.

To be honest, I'm tired of hoping our GM's would do something gutsy at trade deadline or off season, or acquiring big ticket free agents. I realize that the business of hockey doesn't allow such at times, but tell Brian Burke that. Ya' gotta give to get!

I'd be very surprised that a 1st round series defeat at the hands of SJ wouldn't cause at the very least a re-tool. Tanking and rebuilding is pointless at this juncture as well as minor tweaking. IMHO, tweaking is all we've been doing for far too long. Tweaking is fine, but acquiring depth and plugs as we have, well......................................................................

It seems to me that the philosophy of the WCE era of team building, which I believe was sparked by the Detroit Red Wings philosophy of success at the time, though sound, is not working for us. Also we've not drafted well or early either.

It works for the Red Wings and has so for the past couple of decades. Of note, when 1983-1st round-4th pick Stevie Y became captain of the Red Wings in '85, it took till '97 for him to finally hoist the cup. He was the Sedins age at that point. They, as we have, went though new owners, different coaches, and tweaks here and there. However the difference is that the Red Wings acquired big ticket players to boost their line ups; Murphy, Shanahan, Chelios, Hull, Vernon, Hasek, to name a few.

As far as drafting went, I believe they had upper first round picks as we have had. I didn't actually research this, but the earliest picks we had since we acquired the Sedins 2 and 3 we're Cody and Luc each in the top ten. I'm guessing that Detroit had similar results during their successes in the '90s and 2000's.

Lucky for us that a few of our upper 1st rounders panned out, Kesler and Schneider, and some of our post first round picks, Bieksa, Edler, Hansen.............................................................................

Getting back to the Red Wings though, it's pretty evident that their scouts have an eye for talent and diamonds in the rough, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetteberg, Franzen, all post first rounders.

So, if we are to retool then it's evident that we need to move some big ticket salaries to bring in higher calibre free agents either by trade or outright out bidding the other guy. Rentals? Sure. Why not. It worked for Detroit.

Keep a few key players that you know perform, Kesler, Hansen, Higgins, Garrison, Hamhuis; I dunno, who else? Perhaps keep, Luongo, Burrows, Tanev, Corrado, Lappiere, Kassien?!?!!???

As far as I'm concerned, anyone else not on this list is movable.

I love the Sedins. They are so awesome to watch, especially when they're on and able to execute their game. The finesse of the Sedins is hockey art! As far as the Goalies? I am a Lou supporter no matter what. Dude's been nothing but awesome for us and our country too. He's only in his early 30's in age and can still be awesome for many years to come. It seems that elite goalies get better with age. I believe this to be so with Lou. He was signed to the contract he has because we believed him to be the one that would get us the cup. That's still very possible. Anyways, i'm rambling...................

Point is that a re-tooling of our Vancouver Canucks is looming. I'll be surprised if AV isn't let go let this summer. He's done wonders for this team, but I believe he's not going to bring us the cup. This team needs an injection of new blood. Gillis should follow sometime after. Probably before the Winter Olympics. He'll have the summer to improve this team. Team owner and long time Canucks fan Francesco Aquilini wants more than just sell outs night in and night out; he wants his beloved Canucks to win the cup, as we all do.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

PLayers I go into next season with if I am GM

_________ ____________ ___________

Sedin Sedin Kassian

__________ Schroeder Jensen

Higgins Lappy Hansen

Hamhuis Garrison

Tanev Bieksa

Corrado Alberts

Schneider

Lack

Kesler, Edler, Burrows and Luongo should be able to fetch enough for a younger, up and coming offensive line and maybe another first round pick would could be bundled for a top 10 (or higher) pick. There would be a year or two of struggle, for sure, but I think it wouldn't take loing to right this ship.......new GM and new coach as well.

Not while we're still a playoff team IMO.. Getting bounced twice in a row in the first round sucks but I would rather see a coaching change and a shake up if we can't pull off the miracle.

I want a coach that gives them a little bit of freedom. AV has turned this entire team into defensive masters and I think bringing in a coach that encourages a little more freewheeling will put this group over the top. The kids are scared to try anything and the vets are stuck in AVs system. Giving them the vote of confidence to try new things would do wonders for this team.

We still have a good team so it's almost impossible to decide how to go about a shakeup. It's not one underperforming guy, it's all of them. How do you decide what guy won't be inspired by a new coach? You can't

If it were me, I would make the summer coaching change. I would listen cautiously to offers coming in and if an opportunity comes that gives a good shakeup but doesn't set us back, I would do it.. If not, I would do my regular offseason routine and see who comes alive under a new coach and where the deficiencies are. Once you know how the team responds to the new coach you can make the core shake up in December or January.

PLayers I go into next season with if I am GM

_________ ____________ ___________

Sedin Sedin Kassian

__________ Schroeder Jensen

Higgins Lappy Hansen

Hamhuis Garrison

Tanev Bieksa

Corrado Alberts

Schneider

Lack

Kesler, Edler, Burrows and Luongo should be able to fetch enough for a younger, up and coming offensive line and maybe another first round pick would could be bundled for a top 10 (or higher) pick. There would be a year or two of struggle, for sure, but I think it wouldn't take loing to right this ship.......new GM and new coach as well.

Definitely not a full rebuild yet. I'd still say tweak it a little for next year. If we bust again, then start "re-tooling" and changing up some of the personnel without completely blowing up the team.

Archived