The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where is your trust level in Mike Gillis currently at?

Canuckler87

We were one game from the cup and two presidents trophies, have you forgotten how low we were when MG took over?

Gillis is a good GM, but changes have to be made with this group.

I'll say 90% for now, will be higher if he makes necessary changes, pretty much the changes you listed above :P

My trust level is slightly shaken, but I believe he deserves this summer to redeem himself a bit. You may say that he has never really made a bold move in his time here, but I would argue that he hasn't needed to until now. So lets see what he does when changes need to be made.

I don't think MG has been bad.There have been mistakes looking back. But none that didn't seem like a great idea at the time really. Booth for example, when I go back and read that trade tread. Everyone thought it was a complete steal. Roy was the best center available at the time. Burr deserved his raise for being so darn clutch. Ballard I still think is a pretty decent player just used completely wrong. The Sedins contract is a bargain. Luo what can I say about that ok it was a mistake to sign him that long but looking at his contract if he was signed for say 7 years instead his cap hit would be 7.2 mill so I'm not sure that would have been better. At the time he signed that contract he was by far the teams MVP. I'm loving the new contracts for Hansen and Higgy they are going to make the leagues best 3rd line when Gaunce has a season under his belt he will fit nicely between them. No GM is going to make no mistakes I feel he has done reasonably well but hasn't yet been able to find the winning formula.

Actually, Bieksa says stuff like that a lot. And he comes across as an arrogant douche most of the time doing it. He is EXTREMELY disliked among NHL players and now refs too apparently.

I am sick of the injury excuses with everyone on this team who plays like crap. If he was injured he should not have been playing. Simple as that. When you have Ballard and Barker sitting in the press box you should not play a guy who is going to play that crappy if they are hurt. They are obviously better options if that is the case. But he and the coaching staff decided he should play over those guys. Ya, what a leader. Puts himself above what's best for the team.

He is a poster boy for all talk, no action on this team. He is "entitled" to his place in the lineup and likes it that way. But when push comes to shove he doesn't walk the walk.

He was good in the finals run because he and Hamhuis were given a specific role of shutdown defence. Then the coaching staff decided he whould be Ehrhoff's replacement.....big mistake there.

The reason our record is terrible without him is because the coaching staff cannot do anything without him in the lineup. He is a big part of the problem.

He made almost all the right moves in 2010/11. He had added Samuelsson, Erhoff, Malhotra, Torres, Higgins, and Lapierre to a young and upcoming team.

But since then, none of the complimentary parts have fit quite right. Even Garrison, who if evaluated individually has been fine. We still have our core. And enough assets to solve our issues. But there is a noose out in the market square. Gillis could hang himself if he does not flush some of his mistakes and parlay those assets into competitive pieces.

still think he could come out of his stint as canucks GM and look back on it as a success, this off season is huge for this franchise and his legacy..IMO he's either going to go down as the best or worst gm in canucks history based on his moves in the next 1-2 years(if hes still here) . no in-between for him

Actually, Bieksa says stuff like that a lot. And he comes across as an arrogant douche most of the time doing it. He is EXTREMELY disliked among NHL players and now refs too apparently.

I am sick of the injury excuses with everyone on this team who plays like crap. If he was injured he should not have been playing. Simple as that. When you have Ballard and Barker sitting in the press box you should not play a guy who is going to play that crappy if they are hurt. They are obviously better options if that is the case. But he and the coaching staff decided he should play over those guys. Ya, what a leader. Puts himself above what's best for the team.

He is a poster boy for all talk, no action on this team. He is "entitled" to his place in the lineup and likes it that way. But when push comes to shove he doesn't walk the walk.

He was good in the finals run because he and Hamhuis were given a specific role of shutdown defence. Then the coaching staff decided he whould be Ehrhoff's replacement.....big mistake there.

The reason our record is terrible without him is because the coaching staff cannot do anything without him in the lineup. He is a big part of the problem.

While I've never been a big fan of Bieksa for his horrid defensive lapses (where he gets walked around, or earlier in his career in particular, made bad pinches that led to many 2 on 1s against), if you actually watch the interview of what he said, he didn't blame the refs at all, he blamed the players for embellishing. To think the refs are mad at him for that is stupid. As if it's his fault anyways that the reffing was garbage. It was in particular the 2 years against Chicago before we made the push to the final, and very much so in the final against Boston as well.

As for Gillis, I think Honey Badger 36 put it well. I've said most of it before and I'll say it again, most of the moves he made were good at the time, aside from maybe Sturm who'd had a pretty decent season the last time he was healthy (and really, the fact that he'd been injured so often in his career should have been sign enough not to sign him).

We needed a D man when Ballard was signed as Hamhuis wasn't signed at that point, and giving up a skilled asset made more sense to keep Raymond than Grabner as Raymond played the whole season and had 25 goals, plus it's not like Grabner would get the proper chance to flourish here anyways, as was the case with Florida, who lost him to waivers.

Aside from his injury history, Booth was the type of players this team needed (still does) and we got rid of the defensively liable Samuelsson and old Sturm in the process, which sure seemed good to me and most people on this site.

That being said, my confidence level in MG as GM will go pretty low if he keeps AV around. MG wants the team to get younger, but only grinders get any real chance on this team with AV, or players that will play like grinders (Raymond's had to play like this). Kinda prevents us from developing young talent. At least he shouldn't make the cap conscious decisions he made with some of our talent like Shirokov and various others now that he realizes the league requires that young talent be used.

Archived