The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL fines Sharks for 100k after Doug Wilson's Comments

Where's Ovie's fine then? He spoke out about the NHL and the reffing.

When I read that article I knew something was going to happen. There is no freedom of speech in the NHL. You MUST obey the NHL rules or else you get punished. But that's fine because they always get it right, I mean Nash didn't jump up and elbow Kopecky. Lucic didn't (obviously) make a run at Miller with no means of stopping.

Might as well make a slogan for the NHL saying, 'if you play in the top 6 and a star player you will be fine. Bottom 6 player you better play a non-touch system'

Shanny as a player was a very well respected guy, but he now needs to go. The video's he makes are definitely great so credit him for that but we need a guy that we actually have a pair and give no 'star' treatment.

Raffi gets punished because he's a good hitter. Even the Hossa hit wasn't more than a 2 minute penalty. This recent hit was perfectly legal.

I think it's a complete crock too. But just be clear for those confused, he didn't get fined just because he spoke out. He got fined because the NHL has a rule that forbids teams to make public statements about suspensions within 48 hours of the ruling. (I would assume to allow them to cool off before spouting off.) For breaking that rule, Wilsons got the automatic $25,000 fine. The additional $75,000 was because his comments hurt the NHL's feelings.

Right or wrong, it all looks like whining when people do it about their own team. What we desperately need to see is teams standing up for the game of hockey, not just themselves. We need teams who aren't okay with benefiting from bad calls anymore than they are being screwed over by them. (SJ, for example, has no moral ground to stand on to complain about any iffy calls against them when they knowingly and willingly won games because of iffy calls against Vancouver.) We need other teams not involved to call out the NHL for bad calls or unfair punishments.

Until teams realize that they must take over the role the NHL itself is supposed to play in promoting and protecting the integrity of the game, nothing will change for the better and will in fact only continue to worsen. And that will ultimately not be in their best self interest.

Wilson is completely blind ! Torres leaves his feet at impact, the head is the principle point of contact and it is nearly a blindside. How is anyone disagreeing with the suspension ? The guy is a head hunter and that will never change....

LMAO ! Sorry bud been a fan for decades and you may want to review the video a few more times to see exactly what the rest of the league and the world knows. Torres is a danger on the ice and should be banned from the NHL.

:lol: Quit making yourself look like a fool. You should be the one that reviews the hit as it was pretty clear that Raffi didn't leave his feet, it was shoulder to shoulder and Stoll's head snapped back due to the force of the hit. Don't believe me? Go watch the hit again, and if you still don't believe me, well then you'd just be refusing to believe the facts, and the facts don't lie.

I thought that according to Logan that the reffing was outstanding? The Sharks certainly were not complaining when the inconsistency was working in their favour. I guess they thought they were going to get to ride that to the cup or something?

Where's Ovie's fine then? He spoke out about the NHL and the reffing.

When I read that article I knew something was going to happen. There is no freedom of speech in the NHL. You MUST obey the NHL rules or else you get punished. But that's fine because they always get it right, I mean Nash didn't jump up and elbow Kopecky. Lucic didn't (obviously) make a run at Miller with no means of stopping.

Might as well make a slogan for the NHL saying, 'if you play in the top 6 and a star player you will be fine. Bottom 6 player you better play a non-touch system'

Shanny as a player was a very well respected guy, but he now needs to go. The video's he makes are definitely great so credit him for that but we need a guy that we actually have a pair and give no 'star' treatment.

Where was Stoll's penalty on his hit last playoffs against Gionta?

This league is unreal. The kicker is that big american market teams are doing well right now (with help from the new way the game is called).

It would appear Bettman's plan is working like a charm, and much like american gov't, they rule with an iron fist, squashing any disagreements immediately.

I'm done with this league, and I don't think I'm the only Canadian to say that.

Death to Gary Bettman.

Because the Canucks want to clean up their reputation, not add to it.

Do you really think these complaints have any effect on the NHL? The Canucks have tried complaining in the past and it gets them nowhere.

The lesson to be learned is to keep your mouth shut, unless you wanna have a 2:1 powerplay ratio every playoffs.

The people running the NHL have turned this into a bush league ,Bettman needs to take a look at what MLB does and has there umps have accountability when there doing a poor job instead ignoring it and fining people who are calling out the complete inconsistency they run the NHL with

I think it's a complete crock too. But just be clear for those confused, he didn't get fined just because he spoke out. He got fined because the NHL has a rule that forbids teams to make public statements about suspensions within 48 hours of the ruling. (I would assume to allow them to cool off before spouting off.) For breaking that rule, Wilsons got the automatic $25,000 fine. The additional $75,000 was because his comments hurt the NHL's feelings.

Right or wrong, it all looks like whining when people do it about their own team. What we desperately need to see is teams standing up for the game of hockey, not just themselves. We need teams who aren't okay with benefiting from bad calls anymore than they are being screwed over by them. (SJ, for example, has no moral ground to stand on to complain about any iffy calls against them when they knowingly and willingly won games because of iffy calls against Vancouver.) We need other teams not involved to call out the NHL for bad calls or unfair punishments.

Until teams realize that they must take over the role the NHL itself is supposed to play in promoting and protecting the integrity of the game, nothing will change for the better and will in fact only continue to worsen. And that will ultimately not be in their best self interest.

I just don't get it. The NHL hands the Sharks their series against us, but seems to have no intentions of pushing them the rest of the way. At least with LA last year it was clear they were going to at least the SCF as soon as they beat us. This suspension was a joke, and this fine is a bigger joke.

I just don't get it. The NHL hands the Sharks their series against us, but seems to have no intentions of pushing them the rest of the way. At least with LA last year it was clear they were going to at least the SCF as soon as they beat us. This suspension was a joke, and this fine is a bigger joke.

Archived