The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Some key differences:

1. Keenan stopped the Canucks in Game Seven of the Finals, after Vancouver's epic first-round victory over the hated Calgary Flames...Tortorella stopped the hated Calgary Flames in Game Seven of the Finals, after the Canucks' crushing first-round defeat.

2. Keenan was once fired and replaced by Tom Renney. Tom Renney was once fired and replaced with John Tortorella.

I hope Tortorella's first order of business is to go down to The Province, physically demolish their sports-page offices, and throw everyone out on their backside. If they replaced all those hacks with random people they found down on Skid Row it would noticeably improve the quality of sports journalism in this city. Have we forgotten how Willes in particular, and others of his ilk stabbed this team in the back and offered nothing but criticism during the Finals? I have not forgotten, nor will I ever.

It should also be noted that many Rags fans were surprised he was let go so soon. On their forum many posted that they thought he would at least start next season. Not that that says much.

Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of this hiring, but I am excited for a different type of coach.

Honestly, I felt a little like this at the thought of Torts at the helm. I like his passion, his brutal honesty and no holds barred approach. I think it could make or break us.

It may be just what we need to bring attention to the piss poor officiating. Or it could make it worse - we'll see.

He could crack a whip on the guys and have them fully exert themselves every game, or he could create friction and become a distraction.

For me, it's 50/50 and I'm just not sure yet. Someone who's going to call you out without holding back may ruffle feathers and the ultimate goal is to motivate, not disrupt and discourage.

Just not sure how it'll go....

Torterella? Buckle your seat belts folks this ride is going to be bumpy. I hope some of our local media are shaking in their boots.

I see that Dan Murphy scumbagged Dale Weise today. He dug up an old anti-Tortorella quote and through it out there on the evening Sportsnet news show with Ivanka and Barry. These guys are SUCH lowlifes, and 'Murph' is supposed to be one of the good guys.

What a lowlife move.

I'm not sure why Willes is so scared of Torts coming in and 'acting like he's smarter than him'... When EVERYONE ELSE is too.

I do not believe for a second that the mainstream country club media types in this town hate the idea of Torts coming here. Quite the opposite is true.

The media is getting really excited at the prospect of Torts coming here. Why? Well, they want to be stars. Like Brooksie. And all they have to do is try and get some tv-worthy quotes.

They are all brushing up their stupid question skills as we speak.

Too bad Willes didn't mention that some of the players were consulted on who they'd like and that they gave Torts the thumbs up (can't be arsed to find the link, sorry).

Torts wasn't very high on my list but I'm coming round.

I see that Dan Murphy scumbagged Dale Weise today. He dug up an old anti-Tortorella quote and through it out there on the evening Sportsnet news show with Ivanka and Barry. These guys are SUCH lowlifes, and 'Murph' is supposed to be one of the good guys.

What a lowlife move.

Typical of Vancouver Sports Media. I want to see Torts open up on them all and take them to school.

Oh really? Did the Canucks organization agree to be your representative? That's neat.

When the riots happened, I didn't riot but the whole city got a black mark. The canucks are attached to Vancouver and therefore what they do reflects on the citizens of the city.

deb i could see torts getting fined over remarks about how biased the reffing is, but his voice i could see changing things in that regard as it cant get much worse than it was before. the refs are the worsted in all major sports

That's honestly what I'm hoping...that there will be no more ignoring or sweeping under the rug because he just won't allow for it. Fingers crossed...hope you're right. :)

Archived