The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Darren Dreger says that Tortorella is the right fit for Vancouver.

EDIT: Aaron Ward agrees.

And both of them communicated that message without yelling at me through the TV.

Kypreos and MacLean could learn something here.

So what, 2 guys with an opinion, others may not agree.... what's is there to learn from? :lol:

Players like Weiss, Bieksa and likely others will already be packing their bags and moving on.

In addition to the previous ribbing you're getting, can you justify your first comment with anything tangible? Packing bags? Oh so Juice is waving his NTC? Excellent.

I was wondering how the hiring of Torts would affect us signing free agents. I thought that it might be a good gauge of how players felt about him as a coach (not a perfect one I know). I went back and looked at NYRs FA signings over the last coupla years. Surprisingly it didn't seem to affect signings and the Rangers had many players re-up. Take it FWIW.

I was wondering how the hiring of Torts would affect us signing free agents. I thought that it might be a good gauge of how players felt about him as a coach (not a perfect one I know). I went back and looked at NYRs FA signings over the last coupla years. Surprisingly it didn't seem to affect signings and the Rangers had many players re-up. Take it FWIW.

Here's a potential start:

Jeff Angus@anguscertified5h

#Canucks core players have been involved in coaching process. From what I have heard, Sedins, in particular, were pushing for Tortorella.

I had to laugh at Taylor's comment regarding Torts' dismissal of NY media legends Rosen and Fischler.

"He has to know who he's talking to when he comes here."

Can anyone tell me who out of our current group of mainstream media would count as a 'legend?'

Tony G?

IMac?

Kuzman?

Botch?

Um, i know these guys like their own little cozy world they're in, but to refer to themselves as 'legends?'

I think Torts will be just fine.

While i'd like Torts to go on and rip our media's dumb questions, i think the bigger benefit is that he'll rip the dumb questions from other teams' media as well. Perhaps even some other teams' 'legends.'

Pfft, 'Legends.'

Players like Weiss, Bieksa and likely others will already be packing their bags and moving on. Torts will rid the 'country club' serenity the players had under AV and Bowness and you know Luongo will want out ASAP.

Younger players like Kassian, Corrado, Tanev and Kesler will do well but the older vets like the Sedins, Bieksa, Luongo, will not stick around long and will tune him out.

Whether Gillis meant 'reset' specifically to coaching changes, it's likely this summer and start of the season we'll see some major trades and player movement...not to mention UFA's who will now sign with an Eakins or Ruff than coming here to Vancouver (which at one point was a #1 destination when Gillis came here).

I don't mind more skilled youth but this could easily turn into the Keenan era like Willes and Gallagher wrote about today...

Definite reset.

From what I've read players like playing for the guy. Like AV his shelf life was done in NYC

He is clearly abrasive but I think this is a combination of his character and his passion and let's face it, some people swear a lot more than others. But I don't understand where the notion arises that he is an ineffective or poor coach or that he is not innovative in the way he is able to coach teams. He can also be playful with the media and I for one would love to see a little push-back against the media here.

I also do not buy what Slats said recently being that the 6th seed Rangers knocked off the Division champion Caps and ended up losing to a team that is now playing in a best-of-3 for the Stanley Cup. Last season, he led the Rangers to within one win of the President's trophy and to the ECF. One need only look at the roster he had to work with (both in NY and TB), say compared to the Canucks.

I think there are a good number of players in the NHL who would play their hearts out for a coach like Torts.

My understanding is that he is a very intelligent hockey person and is always reviewing tape to see where adjustments can be made. This is EXACTLY what the Canucks need, especially for the playoffs.

AV is a very good coach but I honestly think Torts is a coach who is better suited for the playoffs than AV.

I loved the way he pulled his center high in the slot on the NYR PP. It forced a dman to come out to cover the center which allowed two wingers a 2 on 1 if it all worked. Innovative as I hadn't seen that before.

Here's a question though. If players play such an inspired game under Tortorella, why is he yelling so much?

Clearly he yells because the players don't listen, and the players don't listen because he yells.

Perhaps we could look at it by suggesting that he yells when he feels his players are slacking, not playing to their potential or capabilities and playing uninspired hockey?

Over all players seem to like him. Ray Ferraro thinks he's a great coach. Looks like we'll be finding out.

Isn't a bunch of player movement what this team needs?

The players that tune out their coach cause it isn't what they want to hear are the same ones who have been enjoying the country club atmosphere and not getting ready for playoff games.... so GOOD!

I don't think it is going to be the Keenan era over again - Torts isn't going to be GM for one. Totally over-reacting here, just chill out.

One benefit is we might get some actual accountability again. Players that don't play well won't play as much, and that can be nothing but good imho.

Is it risky? Sure, but let's see how the dice fall before getting all negative. Why not be positive and see what happens first, and let reality dictate your negativity instead of your own ... well I better not get into that - we're all the same at the root node, we all live in glass houses ;) Friday night, enjoy the evening!

Players like Weiss, Bieksa and likely others will already be packing their bags and moving on. Torts will rid the 'country club' serenity the players had under AV and Bowness and you know Luongo will want out ASAP.

Younger players like Kassian, Corrado, Tanev and Kesler will do well but the older vets like the Sedins, Bieksa, Luongo, will not stick around long and will tune him out.

Whether Gillis meant 'reset' specifically to coaching changes, it's likely this summer and start of the season we'll see some major trades and player movement...not to mention UFA's who will now sign with an Eakins or Ruff than coming here to Vancouver (which at one point was a #1 destination when Gillis came here).

I don't mind more skilled youth but this could easily turn into the Keenan era like Willes and Gallagher wrote about today...

It is obviously a plot by Gillis to have all the vets waive their NM and NT clauses. Now he can get about rebuilding the team with all the young talent the traded vets will bring in.

Archived