The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

John Stevens would be awesome I think. He is a good communicator and motivator. He's been working with Drew Doughty in LA. So if he is hired in Van I see him motivating Edler to be a stud dman. I also see him motivating Bieksa, Kassian...

this sounds an awful lot like a particular Botchford article....

I'd probably go with Boucher as a 1yr transition coach.

Personally, I think the Canucks waited way too long to change coaches and will leave this team in a really tough spot. Not only is it going to be a tough job for the new coach. I predict it's going to be a tough job to convince a coach to come here.

Here's what I mean... A new coach in VAN will be expected to make the playoffs(in the new aligned Division), compete in the playoffs with anything less than the 2nd round considered disappointing while taking into consideration that Henrik and Daniel Sedin are in the last year of their deal.

Comparatively, BUF for example without Ruff will probably have less immediate expectations and a deeper focus on development. Even though Vanek and Miller are in their last year of contract, they don't seem to have the same urgency to win now and they have the option to trade them as rentals.

Add to that Gillis extended Vigneault just last season, so the commitment to a new coach is probably not going to be a long term deal. All the other teams looking for coaches can probably commit.

Which leads to the question, who would take the Vancouver job? My guess is Boucher.

I'd probably go with Boucher as a 1yr transition coach.

Personally, I think the Canucks waited way too long to change coaches and will leave this team in a really tough spot. Not only is it going to be a tough job for the new coach. I predict it's going to be a tough job to convince a coach to come here.

Here's what I mean... A new coach in VAN will be expected to make the playoffs(in the new aligned Division), compete in the playoffs with anything less than the 2nd round considered disappointing while taking into consideration that Henrik and Daniel Sedin are in the last year of their deal.

Which leads to the question, who would take the Vancouver job? My guess is Boucher.

Agreed. I suggest whoever agrees to take on this job better rent for a year and not buy a house here because there are lots of ways to fail and only like 1 or 2 to suceed ie. 2nd round or further.

I wish they could bring in Linden as part of the coaching staff. Some one players respect and bring the play with heart back to the ice.

Seems like they lost the drive from your heart this last post season.

Get off of this linden kick! Jeez it's just like having stan smyl in the scouting department, we have no winning history or tradition and just because he was a decent player for us does not mean he should be a coach. The amount of butt kissing with linden in this town makes me physically ill. Bring in some guys that have won the cup at both the coaching and player level....currently we got nobody with that experience in this organization.

Canucks Army put up a bit of a synopsis of the coaches we have heard about so far that are to be considered, and it got me thinking about a few things:

CANDIDATES EMERGE IN CANUCKS COACHING SEARCH

Judging by the plethora of details leaking out in the media this weekend, the Vancouver Canucks have launched what is sure to be a drawn out, rigorous process to hire a replacement for recently deposed head coach Alain Vigneault. While the landscape is beginning to shift on the Canucks coaching search front, we shouldn't expect anything to happen quickly here. After all, several of the names that have emerged as the "favourites" are still coaching in the Calder Cup or Stanley Cup tournament...

Let's round up the latest reports and launch "coaching week" at our humble Canucks blog. Some of the names discussed here will be profiled at length later in the week (or later today), so check back for more coverage of Vancouver's coaching search.

DALLAS EAKINS

Eakins is generally known as a defensive minded coach, though it's not as if his Marlies haven't been offensively challenged during his tenure behind the bench. Eakins has also earned a reputation as a "players coach" - as Jonathan Willis pointed out when profiling Eakins a year ago: the praise Eakins garners from his players is deeply bromantic - which, I'd think would represent a pretty sizable stylistic departure from Alain Vigneault in the Canucks dressing room.

Working against Eakins in any interview process with the Canucks will, presumably, be his lack of experience running an NHL bench. Also, in Eakins' very last year of professional hockey he captained the 2003-04 Manitoba Moose (I like to imagine Eakins was forced to retire after he fought a cage match against Mike Keane for the Moose captaincy and lost).

Anyway the 2003-04 Manitoba Moose were led in scoring by Brandon "blast from the past" Reid, and more interestingly, the team featured a depth forward named Ryan Kesler for thirty-three games, a college tryout defenceman named Kevin Bieksa for four games, and an ECHL call up named Alex Burrows for two games. It would be a rather rare situation should Eakins find himself coaching several players with whom he shared a locker room as a player...

SCOTT ARNIEL

I don't tend to think of Arniel as a leading candidate to get the head coaching job, though for what it's worth (and it isn't worth much since Arniel is an employee that I'm sure Mike Gillis is cautious not to offend), Mike Gillis said on the Team1040 last week that Arniel would be considered to fill Alain Vigneault's shoes.

GLEN GULUTZAN

It's a bit of a head scratcher that Gulutzan would be seriously considered for the Canucks job, but he's been contacted by the team and is in the mix according to Darren Dreger.

Gulutzan will turn forty-two this summer, so he's still extremely young, and he did do some interesting things with the Stars. For example, that Vernon Fiddler, Erik Cole, Eric Nystrom third line he came up with after Dallas sold hard at the 2013 trade deadline worked really, really well, and he did immediately improve Dallas' five-on-five game upon taking over for Marc Crawford in his first season...

Still, I wonder if Gulutzan is the type of coach who will be considered more seriously for one of the assistant coaching vacancies than for the top job. After all, the Canucks do have three coaches to hire...

JOHN STEVENS

Stevens pretty much has it all in that he's got a wealth of experience as a head coach at both the American Hockey League and National Hockey League levels. He's also had success everywhere - winning a Calder Cup and guiding a Flyers club to the Eastern Conference Final - and seems to have an outsized portfolio with an outrageously successful Kings squad (there aren't many assistants I can think of who manage both the defence and a special teams unit).

The Kings are still alive in the NHL playoffs (until at least Tuesday night), so the Canucks surely won't make any outright overtures in Stevens' direction until his current club is eliminated. Looking over his resume, however, you can certainly understand why the Canucks would be interested.

COACHES WEEK

This is just a primer, really, for a week of wall-to-wall coaching candidate coverage that we'll be rolling out at CanucksArmy.com. I'd expect the Canucks search for a new coach to be thorough and there will surely be a lot more names associated with the position over the coming months.

Of course we'll stay obsessively on top of all of the latest developments, but this week we'll also have coaching profiles and a lot more, so check back daily!

There's a bit too much to list it all for each coach but I put a bit in for each and you can go read the rest if you want.

From that list the point about Gulutzan is a reasonable one - we need assistant coaches too. Stevens having the resume he does is also interesting, and shows a little bit of what he's been responsible for when it comes to LA's results. Arneil, well hard to blame him totally for last year with the Wolves, but I doubt he gets a second interview at this point.

The Eakins point about him having played with Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows has already been mentioned, but the CA article links to an older Jonathan Willis article with some player quotes from guys like Kadri, Colbourne and Holzer that are interesting. He's much more of a player's coach and while that familiarity with some of our guys from his player days may be a negative, his ability to motivate and get the most out of our younger players (already a few in the lineup but likely to be a few more) might make for an interesting dynamic with the vets.

Imagine guys like Kassian, Corrado, Gaunce, Jensen, etc. playing full tilt hockey with youthful exuberance and skill. I think that'd rub off on the vets and it might overcome any potential issues about him coaching former teammates.

We'll have to see who else might be available, and who we actually interview, but it's something that's not so easy to just pull up a stat sheet like we do with players. Lots to consider and I'm sure it'll keep us busy over the next little while.

Having a coach that is good at recognizing talent, and can reccommend certain players to bring in is important too.

A big reason that LA is having so much success is because Daryl Sutter has been a GM and a coach so he knows what to look for in players. He assembled a great fourth line in LA and knows how to get them to play hard and fast.

We need a coach who recognizes what a good fourth line should be, and knows how to identify those players. I'm not sure if AV was great at recognizing this, as was shown by his constant revolving door on the fourth line. And the fact that he reccomended bringing in Gragnani says it all.

Hockey fans lost

It's Laviolette's fault.

And if we the Cup no Canucks fan would complain. And I don't give a tiny little rat's ass about other fans.

BTW, Boucher coaches an aggressive forechecking game. Only when the puck is turned over does his team draw back. Most people here have him all wrong.

Having a coach that is good at recognizing talent, and can reccommend certain players to bring in is important too.

A big reason that LA is having so much success is because Daryl Sutter has been a GM and a coach so he knows what to look for in players. He assembled a great fourth line in LA and knows how to get them to play hard and fast.

We need a coach who recognizes what a good fourth line should be, and knows how to identify those players. I'm not sure if AV was great at recognizing this, as was shown by his constant revolving door on the fourth line. And the fact that he reccomended bringing in Gragnani says it all.

Boston has a great 4th line too. Yes we need to be willing to invest time and salary cap in finding good 4th liners. Play hard and fast yes.

Archived