The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

It is crucial now to find the best coach out there ASAP and offer him the job. We have 3 teams looking for a new coach. It has become a somewhat competitive market after NY got rid of Torts.

Too true, watch Jim Nill grab the best coach for Dallas, right from underneath MG's nose. I doubt a key strategist in the Detroit management group will go with AV, AV will probably be hired to replace Patrick Roy in the Q.

Was doing a bit of due diligence on John Stevens as I really know nothing about him.

If he is being considered for the job, I find it interesting and a bit ironic that he was fired as Flyers head coach on December 4, 2009, the day after his team was blanked on home ice by our Vancouver Canucks.

Here's a sampling of comments across from fans and sports reporters in Philly at the time that may give a bit of context on who he is:

• It's a knee jerk reaction that will come back to haunt them.

• Bad news that Stevens is the one paying for lack luster play.

• Looks like a decent coach and will most probably show up elsewhere sooner than later.

• I truly feel for Stevens he seemed like a great coach and if there is any justice in this world he will get another shot at an NHL job.

• In Philly a lot of people didn't like Stevens because they thought he didn't show enough emotion; heard this all the time from friends and sports radio here in Philly.

• The club displayed a total lack of committment in losing 3-0 to the visiting Vancouver Canucks. I think Stevens was simply too conservative, too laid back and might have even become more of a player's friend than a player's coach.

• Inconsistencies continue to plague Stevens and his players. And we're not talking about big name players going in and out of the lineup with injuries. We're talking about just about the entire squad falling asleep for 1-2 periods at a time, and then suddenly waking up in time to muster a late 3rd period effort that still falls short.

• It's called a "60 minute effort", and Stevens has yet to show that he can get that concept across to his team.

• The Flyers love playing for the hardworking Stevens, but the fact of the matter is -- and we all know it -- that this team has been unacceptably inconsistent since the start of last season and even before then. John Stevens has been the coach the entire time. But Mike Richards has also been captain the entire time. And Jeff Carter has been his wing man. And Kimmo Timonen has been an assistant captain. And... well, you get the point.

• Could it be the players, not the coach? At least one un-named player thinks so..."It's not Johnny," the player who asked not to be named told Seravalli. "We have a lot of problems right now. He's not one of them. His systems work. He is in our face when we're not doing what we're supposed to. He has a lot more fire than people know about. For whatever reason, we've let him down."

• The argument could be made, of course, that the inconsistency was there before the injuries and the recent struggles -- it's been here for years now. But who knows how much of that is truly Stevens fault. Could the team be too comfortable playing for Stevens? Could they need a shakeup in the so-calledleadership group? Could the front office be the real problem, not giving Stevens the proper tools he needs?

Of course we now know that the player leadership group (Richards and Carter at least) was in fact subsequently shipped out of town in what were considered shocking trades at the time, so it lends a bit of credence to those saying the problem wasn't necessarily Stevens. Having said this, a few of these comments sound eerily similar to ones we've heard about AV the last couple of years.

If you factor in his recent success with the Kings, it wouldn't be a surprise if he is near the top of MG's list of candidates.

Wow, the AV story part 2 or what? haha Not to mention it sounds exactly like the issues that have plagued the Canucks the past few years.

Here's a bit about Guy Boucher from 2010 before he was hired in TB:

Boucher, 38, has been a wild success at every level he's coached, from McGill University to the junior ranks and now the AHL. Much of that success has come from his cerebral approach to the job.

He holds three university degrees, including a master's degree in sports psychology that he uses to motivate his players to set goals for themselves and then work hard to exceed them.

Boucher is said to be an extremely effective communicator, taking great pains to learn everything he can about every player on his team so he can deal with them on a one-on-one basis.

Boucher also has a reputation as a great team builder. He's known for creating a family atmosphere where every player feels like he belongs, no matter their level of skill or importance.

"He makes his teams do things that no other coach does," said Habs prospect Philippe Lefebvre, who played under Boucher in junior two years ago. "He had us go through team building exercises to improve chemistry. While you're doing it, you're wondering why and it feels kind of stupid. But later you realize that if you work as a team you'll have more success."

Many assumed that kind of approach would not work as well with grown men in the pros as it did with teenagers at the junior level, but Boucher proved those doubters wrong this year in Hamilton.

The Bulldogs were constantly losing players as the Canadiens dealt with injuries all season, with a franchise record 17 players spending time in both Hamilton and Montreal.

But despite the constant traffic between the two cities, Boucher's Bulldogs kept winning. They had the second-best record in the AHL at 52-17-11 and came within a game of reaching the Calder Cup final.

"My approach is based on the individual," Boucher said. "So whether you're talking about 17 or 18-year-olds or 30 or 35-year-olds, players want to improve, they want to win and ultimately you find the same problems and strengths in each individual. It's the same starting point, so I didn't need to adapt my approach too much.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/33943-Bulldogs-Guy-Boucher-tiptoes-around-questions-about-NHL-coaching-future.html

Can I stop being sarcastic now? Do the torts lovers understand yet that not only is he a terrible candidate but gillis is not the type of person to bring someone with a personality like that into our locker room?

I'm just done talking about it so next person I see post garbage about the team just needing someone to motivate them the way torts did in ny,

Yeah. You're done. Touchy feely worked just great out here. Letting the players take care of their accountability worked out soooo great. ~yeah...note my dripping sarcasm!~ If you're happy with status quo...GOODY for you. Watched this team for 42 going on 43 years. Getting tired of 43 years NO CUP. Would like them to win at least once before I'm pushing up daisies.

Oh, BTW... "Big Brother" is something that people with limited attention spans watch. I watch documentaries on science and work in wildlife photography where I sit for hours waiting on the shot.

Yeah. You're done. Touchy feely worked just great out here. Letting the players take care of their accountability worked out soooo great. ~yeah...note my dripping sarcasm!~ If you're happy with status quo...GOODY for you. Watched this team for 42 going on 43 years. Getting tired of 43 years NO CUP. Would like them to win at least once before I'm pushing up daisies.

Oh, BTW... "Big Brother" is something that people with limited attention spans watch. I watch documentaries on science and work in wildlife photography where I sit for hours waiting on the shot.

You watched the team that long, you oughta know it could be a lot worse than it's been the last couple decades, a LOT worse. The West Coast Express teams with Crawford, and the Sedin/Luongo teams with Vigneault have been the only legitimate contenders we've had other than '94. I've been a fan ever since I figured how to work the radio back in the 80s, and I say we are doing alright. It'd be a shame if this demanding fanbase and media environment, and the excessively high expectations in this city, tore apart another solid team like happened after '94. All's we can ask as fans is to have a good shot at playoff success every season, there are so many factors that contribute to going after a Cup, if you have a good team every year and get a shot at it, eventually it'll pay out. You don't want to go all-in and end up spending a decade recovering, just be getting in the playoffs and maybe the team can put together a run some year.

Archived