The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Luongo and lund are as equal as it gets. The only two generational talents in the league. No one else can string a decade like those two

Well Brodeur too but he prolly has a year or two left

you gotta be !@#$%ing kidding me if you think Lundqvist and Luongo are = this season. Lundqvist is contending for a vezina. Also look at his playoff performance. We have a Stanley cup right if it was Lundqvist over Luongo. Your out of your mind.

you gotta be !@#$%ing kidding me if you think Lundqvist and Luongo are = this season. Lundqvist is contending for a vezina. Also look at his playoff performance. We have a Stanley cup right if it was Lundqvist over Luongo. Your out of your mind.

Lundqvist wasn't disrespected by the fans and organization and unfairly thrown under the bus either, so.

Lundqvist wasn't disrespected by the fans and organization and unfairly thrown under the bus either, so.

To be honest the difference Lundqvist never choked as bad as Luongo did. I'm sorry to say. I'm not hear to slam Luongo, but he is no means in the same level of Luongo. The difference really is Lundqvist mainted his high level of player. Although its extremely unrealistic to expect a goalie to totally shut the door, but he's played much better then Luongo.

To be honest the difference Lundqvist never choked as bad as Luongo did. I'm sorry to say. I'm not hear to slam Luongo, but he is no means in the same level of Luongo. The difference really is Lundqvist mainted his high level of player. Although its extremely unrealistic to expect a goalie to totally shut the door, but he's played much better then Luongo.

Your sig... sigh.

Most of the penalties taken by the Canucks were either careless or just plain undisciplined. Canucks had a chance to win but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

Stop blaming the series on the refs. The Canucks were an AWFUL team in the playoffs this year. That was why they lost.

It's difficult to dismiss Ruff altogether, I always admired him as a player with an edge and he's got a better playoff winning percentage than AV, who had Superior talent for longer periods than Ruff.

His best teams were the 1998-99 Stanley Cup Finalists that had only three 20 goal scorers Satan, Peca and Ward and the more talented 2006-07 team of smurfs that dominated the league offensively for a couple of years featuring Daniel Briere, Chris Drury and Derek Roy with a sophomore Thomas Vanek and an emerging Brian Campbell on the backend.

My take on Ruff is that he's at least proven that he can coach an offensive juggernaut as well as employ a solid defensive system. When financially weak Buffalo ownership blew up the team and let the smurfs walk as free agents and held a fire sale for what was left, Ruff still remained competitive. He never had the solid kind of ownership group behind him willing to max out on the cap like the Aquilini's and while he's never won a cup, his teams were prepared and put up a fight even when they were outgunned.

I think the obvious coaching candidates are Ruff and Eakins unless Tippet becomes available, what I would dismiss is equating Ruff's coaching style with AV. IMO, Ruff is a far superior coach than AV will ever be.

Gretzky and Messier have interest in Rangers vacancy. Strange how that rumored came out that Gretzky was interviewed for our vacancy.

Also came across this for what it's worth:

Jason Botchford@botchford 10h

@RobTheHockeyGuy And the management team here doesn't want him to coach. But one day I could see aquilini bringing him here to be pres/gm

Jason Botchford@botchford 10h

@RobTheHockeyGuy if Gretzky is interviewed here ever it will be for gillis's job, not the coach's[url=

@RobTheHockeyGuy if Gretzky is interviewed here ever it will be for gillis's job, not the coach's

— Jason Botchford (@botchford)

May 31, 2013

Jason Botchford@botchford 11h

@NucksNiners @BakesTakes84 if Gretzky is ever interviewed here, it's to replace gillis, not the coach

Recent interview Ted Nolan did.

http://sports.yahoo....11178--nhl.html

Ted Nolan hasn’t coached in the NHL since 2008, but whenever a spot opens up somewhere, his name always seems to be mentioned. The 1997 Jack Adams Award winner has only coached a total of four seasons in the NHL, but still aims to get back one day.

“I have never quit hoping, for hope is a good thing,” said Nolan via email.

Since leaving the New York Islanders in 2008, Nolan spent two years as Vice President of Hockey Operations with the AHL’s Rochester Americans and, since 2011, has been head coach of the Latvian men's national team, who qualified for the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia last month.

When he was hired for the Latvia job -- becoming the first North American coach to take the gig in 72 years -- Nolan wasn't the only former NHL bench boss up for the job. Mike Keenan was also in the running.

“We were looking for a neutral, authoritative coach with lots of experience and good hockey knowledge,” said Latvian Hockey Federation President Kirovs Lipmans at the time. “This is exactly what we found with Ted Nolan.”

That experience and knowledge helped Nolan lead Latvia to their fourth straight Olympics, beating out Kazakhstan, France and Great Britain in final qualification.

Despite the new face in a new land, Nolan didn’t face any difficulties trying to get through to his new charges.

“The players and fans were very welcoming and very open,” said Nolan. “I couldn't have been more proud. For the size of the country, the talent level was very impressive.”

“Our biggest challenge in qualifying was unifying a group of individuals into a team."

For Sochi, the Latvians are grouped with the Czech Republic, Sweden and Switzerland.

Last spring, Latvia finished 10th at the World Championships in Helsinki and Stockholm, earning Nolan a one-year contract extension, with the clause that if Latvia qualified for the Olympics, it would be extended through May 2014.

A few weeks after the Worlds, Nolan was the ultimate hockey dad, following his son Jordan as the Los Angeles Kings won their first Stanley Cup. They spoke daily, but Nolan served only fatherly advice and left the coaching part up to Darryl Sutter.

For Nolan, trying to qualify Latvia in a short, three-game-in-four-day tournament was much easier than playing hockey dad.

“I felt it was more nerve wracking watching my son."

Jeff Blashill is the guy that the Canucks should be looking at.

He just started his AHL coaching gig and my guess is that he's being groomed to eventually take over for Babcock.

Maybe the guy he took over for would be worth a look...

Curt Fraser: Former Canuck. Former NHL head coach. Former coach of the Belarussian National team. Stints as an NHL assistant in Long Island and St.Louis...currently an assistant with the Stars...

Archived