The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Another AHL up and coming coach is Jeff Blashill. Assistant with Detroit last season, coach of Grand Rapids this season. One distinct difference between Blashill and Eakins is that Blashill's team is still playing. Not suggesting he is a better option than anyone mentioned just stating that he will likely garner interest from NHL clubs soon.

They should definitely consider him. What better way to model a team after Detroit then to hire one of their coaches?

Are you serious? He's made doughty,Richards,carter and so many others find new levels too their games and developed so many good young players that's why he's wanted. Imagine what he could do for guys like edler and Kassian

Stevens record as Head Coach in the playoffs is 11-12. No better then AV who is 37-37. Both .500 records which means their teams go out early in the 1st or 2nd rounds. Well, you could make that argument for Eakins too he's done well at developing young talent but lacks NHL experience. I don't want neither of them. But many on here who do and very likely you'll get your wish.

Just remember there's no more weak division to get in the playoffs now with the re-alignment and the Canucks will be right at the bottom in the standings. They'll be hard press to make the playoffs with a bad hire and Gillis doing very little in the way of moves to improve this team. I'll be surprised if Luongo is finally dealt. Stupid Owner, Gillis should have been long gone, he's fracked this team so bad. Look at Boston, who has mostly the same roster intact from 2011 with the exception of tinkering. Same goes for Chicago too. How is it Vancouver can't do it? Simple. Gillis is incompetent. Toughness Canucks did have in 2011, it's only gotten weaker.

Only one of those guys I would realistically entertain in the same company as Eakins/Boucher is Tippett. I'm not sure we can/should wait that long to see if we even get the chance to make a play for him...but we'll see.

The other two are non-starters IMO. Ruff is a good but not great enough coach to unseat any of the other guys IMO and Tort's is just a freaking loudmouth. He'd be entertainment for quotes and little else. This team needs someone to LEAD and inspire them to play. Not a loud mouthed, whip cracking, a-hole quote machine.

Ruff is better then Stevens, Eakins and Boucher. Ruff has been to the finals and plays the run and gun, which would be upgrade over the defensive garbage AV had them playing the past 2 years. Stevens has a career playoff record of just under .500. Eakins has no NHL experience. To say either of them, especially Eakins is better then Ruff is just moronic. Boucher runs that stupid 1-3-1. That alone is reason enough not to give him any consideration. Also, I can't see them hiring a second straight francophone coach.

I totally disagree this team does need someone to crack the whipe, pull no punches or BS. If Keenan was available, he should be interviewed as well. One of the naysayers brought up when he (Keenan) was here before. If it wasn't for Keenan, Naslund doesn't become the all-star player he was. Keenan was so awful yet he managed to win the Cup in 1994. Remember that. You or someone else's comeback will be he had a stacked/HOF team.

Country Club lifestyle this team has been getting away must stop as it's unacceptable. If you bring in a rookie coach with no NHL experience like Eakins, the players will just continue on business as usual. Hiring Stevens or Eakins essentially is just hiring AV 2.0. Robots with the media. Stevens might be slightly better with the media, but you can't put alot of stock into that in hiring him.

I think Tippett would play a much more open game than he does in Phoenix. The biggest upside to Tippett is he is a master of developing young guys.

Having said that, Stevens and Eakins also have good records with developing and playing young players. Stevens has done a masterful job with the young defensemen the King have, but I don't think developing young defensemen is as much of a concern here as developing the young forwards is for the post-Sedin era.

I think with the particular group, Eakins is the guy for developing the young forwards since our defensemen seem to make the steps all by themselves (Tanev and Corrado, who saw THAT two years ago?).

For everyone saying that Eakins and Stevens have done a great job of developing young players, have you ever stopped and considered Canucks don't have much in the way of good prospects, because of awful and dreadful drafting.

For everyone saying that Eakins and Stevens have done a great job of developing young players, have you ever stopped and considered Canucks don't have much in the way of good prospects, because of awful and dreadful drafting.

Jensen, Schroeder, Kassian, Corrado, Tanev, Guance say otherwise

Jensen, Schroeder, Kassian, Corrado, Tanev, Guance say otherwise

Jensen, Corrado and Tavev. Yes.

As for the others medicore at best.

I really don't see Kassian ever amounting to much as a player. Goes without saying what did Gillis see him him. Not to mention the great young player that went back the other way. The best player Canucks had drafted in recent memory and Gillis tries around and trades him. The only type of coach that could develop Kass into something would be a no non-sense type of coach.

The ideal coach. OK. none of us want to see a boring hockey team. However, most of us actually want our team to play smart defensively in their own end. See 2011 regular season.

We also want a team that is entertaining to watch and gets chances to score if not lots of goals. See 2011 regular season.

We want a coach that will motivate the team to actually play 60 minutes most nights. See 2011 regular season.

WE WANT THE CUP!!!. Best chance, 2011.

We had the right coach. The message wasn't getting through anymore. The question is. WHY?

So. Will a new coach actually have any better luck if the team is not listening?

Expect some trades people. BIG trades. Some players are leaving with a new coach. Then we will know who is and who is not listening.

If the Canucks actually play a full game. They are going to win on most nights. This team needs to be motivated. So, we need a bad ass that will make the play or someone that can convince them that his way = a championship.

Ruff is better then Stevens, Eakins and Boucher. Ruff has been to the finals and plays the run and gun, which would be upgrade over the defensive garbage AV had them playing the past 2 years. Stevens has a career playoff record of just under .500. Eakins has no NHL experience. To say either of them, especially Eakins is better then Ruff is just moronic. Boucher runs that stupid 1-3-1. That alone is reason enough not to give him any consideration. Also, I can't see them hiring a second straight francophone coach.

I totally disagree this team does need someone to crack the whipe, pull no punches or BS. If Keenan was available, he should be interviewed as well. One of the naysayers brought up when he (Keenan) was here before. If it wasn't for Keenan, Naslund doesn't become the all-star player he was. Keenan was so awful yet he managed to win the Cup in 1994. Remember that. You or someone else's comeback will be he had a stacked/HOF team.

Country Club lifestyle this team has been getting away must stop as it's unacceptable. If you bring in a rookie coach with no NHL experience like Eakins, the players will just continue on business as usual. Hiring Stevens or Eakins essentially is just hiring AV 2.0. Robots with the media. Stevens might be slightly better with the media, but you can't put alot of stock into that in hiring him.

Honestly, Eakins might be a good coach but (as far as I know) I think he would make a good associate / assistant coach (not sure if he has done this at the NHL level).

I'd love a combo of Ruff w/ Eakins & someone else, Ruff stops the country club atmosphere and brings an offensive mentality to the group and Eakins can help special teams & the youngsters (not sure what his powerplay was like in the AHL). For me that gets the veteran who I thought the players were in favour of (I thought I read the players saying they wanted a veteran voice) as well it gets Eakins some NHL experience with a veteran coach to deflect from him.

While I have nothing against coaches like Stevens & Co. I think they make for stronger assistant / associate coaches than they do for overall head coaches

Keep in mind this roster should be blown up in like 2/3 years if they don't do anything in the playoffs.

If Eakins is good a developing players, i wouldn't mind keeping him for the rebuild i guess

Keep in mind this roster should be blown up in like 2/3 years if they don't do anything in the playoffs.

If Eakins is good a developing players, i wouldn't mind keeping him for the rebuild i guess

Yep I agree

Honestly, Eakins might be a good coach but (as far as I know) I think he would make a good associate / assistant coach (not sure if he has done this at the NHL level).

I'd love a combo of Ruff w/ Eakins & someone else, Ruff stops the country club atmosphere and brings an offensive mentality to the group and Eakins can help special teams & the youngsters (not sure what his powerplay was like in the AHL). For me that gets the veteran who I thought the players were in favour of (I thought I read the players saying they wanted a veteran voice) as well it gets Eakins some NHL experience with a veteran coach to deflect from him.

While I have nothing against coaches like Stevens & Co. I think they make for stronger assistant / associate coaches than they do for overall head coaches

I can't understand why Ruff hasn't been interviewed yet. Is he even in the mix? At least interview him. One Vancouver reporter (can't recall who it was) pointed to Canada at the Worlds and said Ruff is good during the regular season but come playoff time, one and done. I'd have no issue with Ruff being hired to be the next coach. I suggested something similar about hiring Eakins as assistant/associate coach. Eakins could gain experience and in a few years down the road, he could take over as coach. I agree that in Stevens case, he's better suited as assistant/associate coach.

Archived