The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

I'd be floored (in a shocked way) if Gillis chooses Torts but people are suggesting that Aquilini is really pushing for him whereas MG favours Stevens. So ... to me, what is more interesting is to see who ultimately controls and decides the coach. Either AQ will learn to stop meddling and trust his GM or MG is just a puppet. This would be the 2nd big decision that AQ 'influenced' (meddled in) ... first big one being Luongo's long term contract.

I'd be floored (in a shocked way) if Gillis chooses Torts but people are suggesting that Aquilini is really pushing for him whereas MG favours Stevens.  So ... to me, what is more interesting is to see who ultimately controls and decides the coach.  Either AQ will learn to stop meddling and trust his GM or MG is just a puppet.  This would be the 2nd big decision that AQ 'influenced' (meddled in) ... first big one being Luongo's long term contract.

Mark me down as being firmly in MG's court. Stevens seems like the best fit of the candidates mentioned so far, although I wouldn't have a problem with giving Blashill a shot, either.

The only preferable coach for me would be Tippett, if he for some reason decides not to stay in Phoenix.

From a pure marketing perspective, Torts is an owners dream. The profile his hiring would create for the team would be tough to top, even more so now AV replaced him. Realizing they have to weigh everything including hockey considerations, but a businessman will also strongly consider the marketing factor as long as the negative element can be managed. I'd imagine that was a big component of the interview.

The other candidates just don't bring any WOW factor. Torts sure does.

So why don't you prove that you're not the one who's a moron and show me a quote from a knowledgeable hockey source to validate your claim that AV invented a Zone strategy?

Go to post #1722. Click on the link. 9th paragraph down...

The real "joke" here is the fact that you are so blinded by your disdain for the former coach, you can't even give him credit for introducing an innovative strategy that he is widely acknowledged in hockey circles to have pioneered and has since been copied by many other teams.

You clearly know less than nothing about coaching an NHL team. Henrik Kesler explained it as well as possible in a simplified form. It remains not at all a surprise that it still wasn't simple enough for you to figure out.

AV didn't pioneer anything but snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. keep pretending like you know what you're talking about.

AV didn't pioneer anything but snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. keep pretending like you know what you're talking about.

I certainly know when I'm debating a "pretender". That is, if you can call talking to someone who never says anything besides weak insults directed at a former jack Adams winning coach, "debating".

I've got over 45 years invested in this game. I know exactly what I'm talking about. The only thing you know for sure is that you dislike the Canucks' former coach, even though you have no clue what he did or didn't do right.

I certainly know when I'm debating a "pretender". That is, if you can call talking to someone who never says anything besides weak insults directed at a former jack Adams winning coach, "debating".

I've got over 45 years invested in this game. I know exactly what I'm talking about. The only thing you know for sure is that you dislike the Canucks' former coach, even though you have no clue what he did or didn't do right.

What exactly does that prove besides nothing. I suppose Roger Nielson and Scotty Bowman never heard of Zone play until AV invented it according to you. I suppose I should believe whatever you say because of your claim that you've been involved with the game for 45 years, so what???

What exactly does that prove besides nothing. I suppose Roger Nielson and Scotty Bowman never heard of Zone play until AV invented it according to you. I suppose I should believe whatever you say because of your claim that you've been involved with the game for 45 years, so what???

Refer to post #1748

What a sad life you live my friend.

You are an effing moron.

Sorry...but that happened.

Oh...watch Boston's first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Copied AV's/Walter's zone matching to a T.

San Jose does it....the Pens WANT to do it (and tinkered with the concept when Staal was in the fold)...but Geno is so awful at the dot that Blysma gets even craftier with the same idea and double shifts Sid from time to time to take face offs for the second line.

Red Wings do it...but use different set plays after a win.

So please...just stop being a dink.

I know it is father's day but really your father worship is really showing. Still I guess there has to be one person who blindly believes this rubbish about AV.

If Tortorella is named head coach i'll be looking forward to next season so much more. This will be so awesome. Hahahaha. Vancouver media is going to torture this man and make him explode.

I want the Canucks to compete and win a cup, not watch the media battle with a coach, this isn't the WWE thankfully.

I worry Torts will break some people blocking and have absolutely no offense. Only time will tell, if he get the job that is. Not at all excited about him as a option.

I remember one year after a horrible game for our D, Bowness went off on our D and completely chewed them out.

The result after that I believe was an 8 game losing streak...

I don't think our players will respond to Tortorella. I could be wrong though.

Archived