The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Ya really Zone match??

Av never showed any ability to adjust to any strategy, never mind patent any new ones.

If he had that kind of creativity, we'd have a Cup and he's still have a job, what a joke.

The real "joke" here is the fact that you are so blinded by your disdain for the former coach, you can't even give him credit for introducing an innovative strategy that he is widely acknowledged in hockey circles to have pioneered and has since been copied by many other teams.

You clearly know less than nothing about coaching an NHL team. Henrik Kesler explained it as well as possible in a simplified form. It remains not at all a surprise that it still wasn't simple enough for you to figure out.

I could see the Canucks naming their coach this week.

Broiled Sports stated it would be as early as this week. Now that Torts is coming back for a second interview, maybe there is something to their report he will be hired.

I am genuinely laughing at those that are making a case for Torts. I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just that he's clearly a basket case with a hairline trigger. If we signed him, it would be for entertainment purposes, and to shut up our annoying media.

Went back to watch some of those between period rants and it's just Torts yelling at his players and letting the f-bombs fly every third word. There was usually little reaction from the players in that room. Heck, I got tired of listening to him after just a few minutes. Think about it, is there anybody that likes going to work and listening to their boss yell at them all the time? Is there anyone that is motivated by this management style?

I also recall during that second round series loss to the Bruins hearing a lot of grumbling among the analysts about many of the decisions that Torts made regarding both tactics and lineup choices. Healy in particular was brutally critical of him.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly don't understand the fascination with Torts.

Went back to watch some of those between period rants and it's just Torts yelling at his players and letting the f-bombs fly every third word. There was usually little reaction from the players in that room. Heck, I got tired of listening to him after just a few minutes. Think about it, is there anybody that likes going to work and listening to their boss yell at them all the time? Is there anyone that is motivated by this management style?

I also recall during that second round series loss to the Bruins hearing a lot of grumbling among the analysts about many of the decisions that Torts made regarding both tactics and lineup choices. Healy in particular was brutally critical of him.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly don't understand the fascination with Torts.

Thank you! I was waiting for someone who is level-headed. It seems most of the users around here are under the impression that a team with St.Louis, Richards and Lecalvalier in their primes actually required coaching to win a cup.

It goes beyond just the media bites that we catch, where one wrong word will end up with Torts flinging poo at the camera. This monkey doesn't coach well, he treats his players like sh t and has genuinely ruined stars like Gaborik and Richards. The success of the rangers has been in large part due to Lundqvist and their impressive young d-corps. I can't imagine the Sedins, with their already relaxed approach to the game could possibly benefit from having a dictator of a coach.

Because people here are dumb. They see Torts throwing a tantrum and think "YES! HE'S PERFECT! HE'LL WHIP THE CANUCKS INTO SHAPE!"

We need a coach or coaches that are smart and creative.

I hope if Tortorella gets hired he realizes the Sedins are at their best when they're creative not when they're dumping and chasing.

He's the perfect coach for third and fourth liners, but can he really handle skilled stars? Not since his time with Richards, Lecavalier, and St.Louis have I seen that.

Is no one worried about how Stevens did as a head coach in philly? I am not aware of the situation he was in but he does hold the NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next (101 points in 05/06 to 56 points in 06/07)

Is no one worried about how Stevens did as a head coach in philly? I am not aware of the situation he was in but he does hold the NHL record for the biggest drop off in points from one season to the next (101 points in 05/06 to 56 points in 06/07)

I don't want Stevens and have been quite clear about that. He won Calder Cup with a stacked them. His tenture in Philly, he really didn't have any success except for taking them to the East Finals in 2007-2008 where they lost to Pittsburgh.

Not sure why so many are fascinated and want him. He might have learned from his tenture in Philly and may be good on special teams in LA and be a good communicator, but really all of that doesn't warrant him being hired.

If this guy is so good and sought after, why hasn't his named been mentioned and link to other teams? He interviewed with the Rangers and that's the first time a team, other then the Canucks had interest in him. New York obviously didn't have much interest in him and were just going through the process. I don't know why Vancouver holds Stevens in such high regard.

This also is very telling and not a good sign of a coach:

Brooke Ward claims Ruff is the new front leader. Take it for what it's worth.

Possible Ruff could be the unnamed candidate that is being interviewed this week, which means this would be a second interview for him, as well.

Ya really Zone match??

Av never showed any ability to adjust to any strategy, never mind patent any new ones.

If he had that kind of creativity, we'd have a Cup and he's still have a job, what a joke.

You are an effing moron.

Sorry...but that happened.

Oh...watch Boston's first 3 rounds of the playoffs. Copied AV's/Walter's zone matching to a T.

San Jose does it....the Pens WANT to do it (and tinkered with the concept when Staal was in the fold)...but Geno is so awful at the dot that Blysma gets even craftier with the same idea and double shifts Sid from time to time to take face offs for the second line.

Red Wings do it...but use different set plays after a win.

So please...just stop being a dink.

I'd prefer Ruff over Torts at the moment but would be happy with either if they are in fact the two 2nd interview candidates.

My biggest fear is that if Torts is hired Gillis will sit back and go- 'Well thats my big risky move for the year done, that'll shut everyone up', and then nothing else/very little will be, moves that need to be done etc.

Archived