The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Asset management for a brighter future

Trade 1

Edler, Schroeder, and a 1st and a 3rd to Philadelphia for Voracek, Read, and the 11th overall pick. Draft Shinkaruk.

- Philadelphia needs a top pairing defenseman. They have excess assets at forward that are looking to make the jump into the NHL in the near future, thus, from a perspective of organizational need they may be willing to trade a few forwards for Edler. Edler and Timmonen would make a great top-pairing and provide the team with solid defence and insane amounts of offense.

Trade 2

Schneider and Booth to New Jersey for Henrique and the 9th overall pick. Draft Monahan.

- With no goalie prospect expected to go in the first 25 picks the Devils will need to look at the trade route to land a replacement for both of their aging goaltenders. All signs point to Cory Schneider becoming a franchise goaltender. Henrique has struggled offensively and has not been able to land a regular top 6 role on a relatively weak Devils lineup. That being said, he is still young and is a very solid two-way player. New Jersey may be willing to trade a slumping young centre and a high draft pick in order to get their most greatest organizational need: a franchise goaltender.

Signings

Sign Henrique for 2 years at $2.500m per

Sign Tanev for 2 years at $1.350m per

Sign Alberts for 1 year at $1.225m

Sign Hendricks for 3 years at $1.200m per

Sign Lapierre for 2 years at $1.200m per

Sign Weise for 1 year at $700k

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Matt Read ($0.900m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Adam Henrique ($2.500m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Matt Hendricks ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Dale Weise ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($1.350m)

Frank Corrado ($0.599m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,127,278; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $172,722

Roster Analysis

The Canucks revert back to a skill game. There are three offensive lines and one shutdown line. The Twins and Kassian will carry the bulk of the offense by dominating down low working the cycle. Kesler will finally have legitimate top 6 wingers with the speedy two-way Matt Read and the big-bodied and soft hands Jakub Voracek. Both are creative and can set up plays and finish them as well. Henrique will centre a two-way line of Higgins and Burrows. This line will outwork other lines and all three are good at getting into the both the open areas of the ice and the dirty areas too. Lastly, Lapierre, Hendricks, and Hansen will form a checking line.

The defence stays relatively the same. Keith Ballard finally gets his break and can play in a puck-moving top-4 role. He has great skating abilities and is a good passer, so he should be able to fit into this new role quite well. Hamhuis gets reunited with Bieksa forming our top shutdown pairing.

Luongo regains his starting position. He is still an elite goaltender and will be a lock for team Canada at Sochi (who else are they gonna put as a starter, Fleury?). Lack will learn from Luongo just as Schneider did, will take over the starting position when Luongo leaves the franchise.

Future

Offense led by Monahan & Shinkaruk (our future Toews & Kane), Kesler, Voracek, Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, Henrique, and Read.

Defense led by Garrison, Tanev, and Corrado. Can fill the rest in with UFA signings.

Lack and Cannata can battle it out for the starting job. Both are projected to have bright futures in the NHL.

This is exactly the kind of summer I hope the Canucks have. I don't see Gillis making a bunch of moves but maybe a deal or two like this that will have a significant impact on this team's present and future. Now, I have read that both Read and Henrique have attitude/laziness problems (whether it's true or not, obviously I wouldn't know) so they may not be my top targets BUT all the same, solid proposal. +1

Well thought-out & reasonable deals. Between Read & Henrique however, I'd say Van needs to acquire more size, considering the quality of players they're dealing away.

NJ is probably still dealing with ongoing cash issues-would they make a deal that adds almost 6 mill? Also believe next yr they lose their 1st rounder(Kovalchuk-fiasco). They probably won't want to part with another.

nice to see something different on here, would prefer burrows with kes and voracek and read with henrique , interesting line up and possible, I just dont see us going that direction, like it though

I think it may take more to get Louie Ericksson than that. I find it funny how when Schroeder was drafted we got the steal of the draft now everyone is like throw him in every deal. I watched him play last year and he showed signs of energy and skill. Not sure how Ebbett played better than Schroeder. Would have stuck with the youth over Ebbett.

Tough to decide who to trade.

Luongo could end up in NYI/NJ or Phoenix who still has not signed Smith that I am aware of. More likely an Eastern team though as imagine: Luongo goes and takes a team to the playoffs and great year being in the West and it is the team that beats us in the playoffs. That would seal Gillis being fired for sure.

Still would love to see what we could get for Bieska. Also trade Booth for whatever we can get and use the money on someone like N. Horton/B. Morrow/B. Bickell.

Archived