The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gillis has not spoken to any Canucks RFA/UFAs

As others have said, there is little to do in that regard until the other roster moves are made.

The Canucks are currently over the cap, and will be pushing the 10% offseason overage of the $64.3 mil cap, so he's not in a position to spend more money right now. This is a matter of processes, one must be accomplished before he can go onto the next. If MG firms up another contract in Tanev he creates more problems than he solves.

Oh, and there is the coaching staff issue.

A lot of heavy lifting needs to be done over the next four weeks.

Tanev is a RFA so he's not going anywhere. The only other guys most people even care about are Lappy and Alberts. MG probably has an idea of what it would take to bring them back so I wouldn't be surprised if he could sign those guys in a very short time frame. That's if he even wants them back.

RFA's

Archibald, Joslin, Lain, Rai, Rodin, Sauve, (Stefan) Schneider, Schroeder, Sweatt, Tanev, Weise

From the list of RFA's Lain, Schroeder, Tanev and Weise will likely be re-signed with a decent raise. Sweatt will likely be given a decent amount of consideration. The remaining guys on that list will either be re-signed (for perhaps a minimal raise or for the qualifying offer), or moved. None will likely be allowed to walk unless a contract dump is needed and the guy can't be included in a trade.

If someone has a better perspective on Archibald, Joslin, Rai, Rodin, Sauve and Schneider I'd like to hear it. I didn't get much of a chance to see them this year.

UFA's

Alberts, Barker, Desbiens, Ebbett, Gordon, Lapierre, Malhotra, Mullen, Pinizzotto, Raymond, Roy, Sestito, Vandermeer

I like Alberts as a 6th/7th d-man. Lapierre should be back, unless the team makes it plain that they want to go with Lain starting next season. Raymond might be back depending upon what comes back in the assumed goalie deal and/or what happens with Booth. Roy might price himself out of this market, but they could do a lot worse than keep him around. Sestito wouldn't be bad a 4th liner at a minor raise. Vandermeer also might not be too bad of a guy to add a bit of physicality.

As to the rest: Barker could still be a surprise if he were to pull his act together, but if he's re-signed it's likely for the AHL. Malhotra, sadly, is done. Not sure about the rest. Pinizzotto didn't really show a lot for the limited amount of time he got.

regards,

G.

RFA's

Archibald, Joslin, Lain, Rai, Rodin, Sauve, (Stefan) Schneider, Schroeder, Sweatt, Tanev, Weise

From the list of RFA's Lain, Schroeder, Tanev and Weise will likely be re-signed with a decent raise. Sweatt will likely be given a decent amount of consideration. The remaining guys on that list will either be re-signed (for perhaps a minimal raise or for the qualifying offer), or moved. None will likely be allowed to walk unless a contract dump is needed and the guy can't be included in a trade.

If someone has a better perspective on Archibald, Joslin, Rai, Rodin, Sauve and Schneider I'd like to hear it. I didn't get much of a chnace to

UFA's

Alberts, Barker, Desbiens, Ebbett, Gordon, Lapierre, Malhotra, Mullen, Pinizzotto, Raymond, Roy, Sestito, Vandermeer

I like Alberts as a 6th/7th d-man. Lapierre should be back, unless the team makes it plain that they want to go with Lain starting next season. Raymond might be back depending upon what comes back in the assumed goalie deal and/or what happens with Booth. Roy might price himself out of this market, but they could do a lot worse than keep him around. Sestito wouldn't be bad a 4th liner at a minor raise. Vandermeer also might not be too bad of a guy to add a bit of physicality.

As to the rest: Barker could still be a surprise if he were to pull his act together, but if he's re-signed it's likely for the AHL. Malhotra, sadly, is done. Not sure about the rest. Pinizzotto didn't really show a lot for the limited amount of time he got.

regards,

G.

MG needs to be fired. His painfully slow approach to everything is a joke.

Tanev is a young D man that needs to be re-signed. Everyone knows that yet he just doesn't get the clock. It ticks and he refuses to acknowledge.

He probably wants to move Luongo (or Schneider) first so he knows how much cap room he has to work with. Also depending on what player(s) come this way in a deal, there may not be room for the Canucks future FAs.

His hands are tied until he is able to move Luongo, Buy-out Ballard and/or Booth (I think they will keep Booth)

Until Gillis can free up some cash, he wont be signing any FA's.

In fact, if you are Edmonton or Colorado right now, you can smell blood.. signing Chris Tanev to an offersheet of $3.5mil or more would be a great move.

His hands are tied until he is able to move Luongo, Buy-out Ballard and/or Booth (I think they will keep Booth)

Until Gillis can free up some cash, he wont be signing any FA's.

In fact, if you are Edmonton or Colorado right now, you can smell blood.. signing Chris Tanev to an offersheet of $3.5mil or more would be a great move.

Archived