The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Gillis has not spoken to any Canucks RFA/UFAs

Tanev is easily a 4th dman on this club.. on other clubs hes top 3. If you haven't noticed, the Canucks like to pay their dmen an average of $4mil per year. So $3.5 for Tanev wouldn't be that absurd. I think teams are willing to over-pay for RFA's due to the simple fact they are giving up nothing to acquire the player. Said teams would at the very least be putting the Canucks in a bad situation if they decide to match the offer. I think this would be a very slick move by a division rival.

Tanev is easily a 4th dman on this club.. on other clubs hes top 3. If you haven't noticed, the Canucks like to pay their dmen an average of $4mil per year. So $3.5 for Tanev wouldn't be that absurd. I think teams are willing to over-pay for RFA's due to the simple fact they are giving up nothing to acquire the player. Said teams would at the very least be putting the Canucks in a bad situation if they decide to match the offer. I think this would be a very slick move by a division rival.

Really not concerned. There's around a month before UFA opens up.

MG should focus on trading the big contracts which aren't part of the core (Edler (5), Higgins (2.5), Ballard (4.2), one goalie (4+) for 15.7M+ in space; I'd keep Booth if he's healthy) and finding a coach who can get the guys to buy into a system that'll make them become more successful. Then they can focus on who to keep (Tanev, Schroeder, Lain; Lapierre and Alberts as UFA's; could lose everyone else), who to promote and who to sign to fill roster gaps.

Gotta love the overreactions of Canuck fans. It's only May 28th and the playoffs are still in the second round... RFA qualifying offers don't have to be in until June 30th and then the team still has plenty of time to work out a deal with these players. Guys like Tanev, Schroeder, Lain and Weise will be re-signed. It's just a matter of time.

As for the UFA's, I don't see what the big deal is in letting all of them go. In fact, the only one I'd like to see brought back is Alberts but I think he'll test free agency and end up with more money somewhere else. I can definitely see a team offering him 1.5-2 million on a two or three year deal. He's a very capable bottom pairing/depth guy that just about any team could use.

Find head coach first.

Find out what tools head coach wants to keep.

More often than not contract negotiation doesn't really take that much time.

Roy Malhotra and Raymond are likely not going to be talked to that much. Might kick the tires on Roy a bit though, Lappy, Tanevwill probably be the only guys coming back. Weise Sestito and Pinner...meh.

Really not concerned. There's around a month before UFA opens up.

MG should focus on trading the big contracts which aren't part of the core (Edler (5), Higgins (2.5), Ballard (4.2), one goalie (4+) for 15.7M+ in space; I'd keep Booth if he's healthy) and finding a coach who can get the guys to buy into a system that'll make them become more successful. Then they can focus on who to keep (Tanev, Schroeder, Lain; Lapierre and Alberts as UFA's; could lose everyone else), who to promote and who to sign to fill roster gaps.

Save Lappy or go for Boyd Gordon in the FA market (and pray we get him for 3rd line center), and let Lain be 4th line center. MayRay has got to go, sure, keep Booth and see what he can do (let's see a Booth-Kesler-Burrows line (with Kassian lined with the twins)).

I say get rid of Edler (as he continues to disappoint defensively and can get quite a good return, say from the Flyers or anyone who has a high pick/good NHL-ready prospects). And if we get rid of Edler, there is a spot open for Ballard to stay (who I've been wanting to play with Tanev again, being the puck-moving d-man we are wanting).

To get under that cap, just move Lu and Edler and i think we're fine (getting rid of the other UFA's could free up money for depth players/enforcers).

Save Lappy or go for Boyd Gordon in the FA market (and pray we get him for 3rd line center), and let Lain be 4th line center. MayRay has got to go, sure, keep Booth and see what he can do (let's see a Booth-Kesler-Burrows line (with Kassian lined with the twins)).

I say get rid of Edler (as he continues to disappoint defensively and can get quite a good return, say from the Flyers or anyone who has a high pick/good NHL-ready prospects). And if we get rid of Edler, there is a spot open for Ballard to stay (who I've been wanting to play with Tanev again, being the puck-moving d-man we are wanting).

To get under that cap, just move Lu and Edler and i think we're fine (getting rid of the other UFA's could free up money for depth players/enforcers).

For what? Gillis showed him that corrado is sitting there waiting for the chance to shine...if Subban's cap hit is 2.875M/yr...gillis would be a moron to have Tanev's at 2.0M. Young players need to prove themselves first...no more long-term contracts...2-3 years max.

They won't get bought out no chance. Look at the contracts around the league and you will see that Ballard and Booth's contract aren't as bad as you think. They would get what they are getting paid in the open market. Under a new coach both will thrive...book it.

Archived