The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Glenn Healy takes a jab at Luongo?

chrisbanks

I can not believe how stupid some of you people are. How is Luongo not great? He is 17 in the history of the NHL for most wins and will be top 10 by the end of his career hopefully,he kept Canada in it and led them to a Gold Medal when Marty wasn't playing well at the time,he brought an unsuccessful Canucks team to one of the best teams in the NHL, and he saved the often pityful team on many occasions so go ahead and be a blind fan who can't see that Luongo can't win the cup all by himself. Do you think that Bryz is really as bad as he looks to be with Philly, do you think Quick could win a cup with this team, do you think Thomas could win a cup with an injured team that can't score goals? He will be a hall of famer,he is a legend, he is one of teh best goalies in the history of the NHL and he sure as hell shouldn't be blamed for not winning a cup for a team that constantly leaves him out to dry.

Well that's at least a fair assessment. Momentum is a funny thing. Its hard to define. And its kind of like the chicken and the egg. How much does poor offensive play by the team in front affect the goalies confidence, or put undue pressure on him to shut the door?....and how much does a "melt down" of two or three goals in short span of time rattle the skaters to not play with as much free wheeling abandon and confidence, and have one eye constantly looking backwards, and thus reduce goal production?

Well said Deb

What I took from Healy's comment and what AV needed to win the Cup with was a CONSISTENT goalie not a BETTER goalie. You can't average out wins and losses and say...."hey look Lu got 2 shutouts so that makes up for any meltdowns." That may make a Lu fan feel better but it won't work in the real world. We all know how great Lu can be and has been, there's no dispute in that. But Tim Thomas was the more CONSISTENT goaltender in the Final with us. Jonathan Quick was last year. The old adage "you can't get too high with a win and you can't get too low with a loss" is so true, and that could also apply to goals within a game and by the time you get to the final round, every player SHOULD have this down pat. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Lu just has not been able to master this one crucial skill when the pressure is on.

That is all Canuck fans want in our goalie...He doesn't have to be dubbed an "elite", he just has to show up and play consistently good under pressure (ie. Osgood for the Wings Cup). I am hoping Schneider is that kind of goalie. He seems more even keeled so my hopes are high.

it was everyones fault. from the forwards, to the D, to the goaltending, to the coaching.

you cannot ignore the fact the canucks couldnt score

you cannot ignore the fact that the luongo had meltdowns vs chicago and boston

you cannot ignore the fact that AV loves plugs

was it luongos fault we lost to boston...yes...look at games 3 and 4...lost a ton of momentum..but on that note...it was luongo who won us both games 1 and 2.

double edged sword

Fact - the series went the whole 7 games

Fact - the team scored 0 times in game 7, 1 time in game 5, 3 times in game 2, and 1 time in game 1

How exactly does a team win despite their goaltending? Look at the Philly-Pittsburgh series last year for an example - both teams matched each other in offensive prowness despite starting sieves in net.

I disagree. Where was the team? Luongo played great for 5 games. Not a melt down. That's the thing about playoff hockey. What people don't seem to understand is that, the other team will push back. A 7 -2 and 5 - 0 loss is just a loss in the playoffs. Also, when we lost 4 - 3 in overtime, Luongo played great. Everyone seems to forget about that.

Watch the goals and honestly tell me they weren't soft. The first goal he doesn't even react or try to get it. Second goal was a wrap around which should never go in and is almost always considered a weak goal. The third one he couldn't stop the puck from going in while getting bumped, which is another one he should have had. Now look at Thomas' saves against the Canucks, they were amazing. Luongo got completely outplayed by Thomas in game 7 and he let in 3 soft goals.

Giving up 3 straight games with a combined scored of 13-5 is a meltdown dude. Its a meltdown by the entire team, but that doesnt mean its not still a meltdown on Luongos part too.

"Teams will push back"

We just got swept and never pushed back. We gave them games 4 and 5.

The 2011 team was injured and had nothing left in the tank. Thanks to Mike Murphy, Aaron Rome wasn't available for any of the games after the Horton hit (I still believe the punishment for that hit was way too severe), Hamhuis was injured early in the series and could have been the difference. We will never know.

All I know is, during the Canucks' run, the rest of Canada wanted them to fail badly, and whether this is out of spite or jealousy or some other petty reason, I don't know.

All I know is, I will never support another Canadian team other than Vancouver. Until the Canucks win a championship, I am totally fine with the league handing out Cups in the USA indefinitely.

As for Glenn Healy, he is paid to give his opinion. It doesn't mean he actually knows anything, he's just doing his job. I can tell you one thing though - he wouldn't have the balls to say that if Lou was in the room.

Archived